Direct Payments for Social Care support — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Direct Payments for Social Care support

questions
questions Community member Posts: 1 Listener

Hello Everyone,

I'd really appreciate some personal experience on what Social Care would like grant/agree to in terms of Section 17 Child's Plan support services for a disabled 6 year old Autistic Boy (we have been granted a Child's plan). We would like to have some respite care and also some support in him going out to some fun/development activities.

Also, how many hours per week is normally granted?

Thanks

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2019
    Hello @questions!

This is different from area to area. We are currently on the waiting list for Surrey Council social services team to visit my flat to carry out a carer's assessment so that my son can meet other kids his own age at weekends and be entitled to useful home adaptations that will allow him to remain independent as well. He is going to be 3 in November. What do you think your son needs? 
    For more information please read this leaflet
    https://contact.org.uk/media/1159919/getting_social_care_services.pdf
    Some examples of services that could be offered are:
    Equipment designed for the disabled person to use at home
    Trips to leisure centers etc
    Home adaptations for people with physical impairments to allow them to be independent as much as possible
    Travel training. This includes trips by bus and so on. 
    Practical assistance with tasks at home like cooking or cleaning for example. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,368 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

How many hours given will depend on the care needed. Everyone is different because it also depends on needs.

My daughter receives 8 hours of support each week, fully paid for by Direct Payments. There's also extra money in her budget for the past 2 years for respite which is separate to the care needs.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,836 Scope online community team
    Hi @questions and a warm welcome to the community. How are you getting on?

It might be worth you giving our free helpline a call on 0808 800 3333, it's open 8am-8pm Monday-Saturday. 
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.