Just lost my mobility car — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Just lost my mobility car

Options
tees
tees Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited September 2019 in Transport and travel
Hi I have just lost my mobility car 
I was born with arthritis its in all my joints  my big toes and thumbs  do not bend I have difficulties doing every day things and walking can't cook can't wash ECT 
I'm just about to do a mandatory but don't know how to do it and could do with some help

I did get DLA  for life I went through a  physical medical to get this and yet this pip all they did was ask me a few questions as me to walk no more than 2 metrs in my own home that is adapted for me 
There decision was I had full power in my arms but little in my legs my answer is to this it not power I have a problem with its my joints that are damaged and are disintegrating making doing every day normal things out of my reach 

Can anybody please help me 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,042 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

This is what i posted on another thread that you asked the same question on.

PIP and DLA are different and they have different criteria. PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect you're ability to carry out daily activities based on the PIP descriptors.

You have 1 month from the date of the decision to request the MR. Do be aware that they will look at the whole decision again and not just part of it. Whilst most MR decisions remain the same, you do risk losing everything you already have, it could also be increased too.

You should put your request in writing stating where you think you should have scored those points and your reasons why. Adding a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

Avoid mentioning any lies/contradictions they may have been told in the report be DWP/Tribunal won't be interested in any of those.

PIP Enhanced mobility criteria is different to what DLA was. For DLA it was 50 metres but for PIP it's 20 metres.

Having some understanding of the PIP descriptors and what they mean will help. This link is long but i'd advise you to have a read.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • gypsygran57
    gypsygran57 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    I dont know how pip make their decisions. I have rheumatoid arthritis, oestrogen arthritis, arthritis associated with psoriasis. I have also a heart problem, menieres disease, diabetes, hypertension, and back problems. My illnesses have got worse over the years, I was awarded DLA mobility and care for life. However, with PIP assessment I seem to have a huge health improvement. I did get awarded high rate of PIP, for 3 years. It seems DWP has a wonderful concept that as you get older and let's face it arthritis and other illnesses do not mature like a fine wine. So why do they think that in 3 years things might get better. What a waste of time and money at the tax payers expense. Anyone who was getting DLA at the higher rate for 10 years or more should not have to keep filling in forms and have an interview. When my interviewer arrived a jour late at our home she didnt bother to fill in the answers as she was so late with her stating and I quote, "I'll fill that in later," unquote. I wrote to DWP and received a letter back stating I had been awarded the higher rate, the interviewer had put down 2 things extra from my medical records, so why was I complaining and there was nothing they could do as the person who done the interview now ceased to work with the agency they used. All I wanted was the correct information to be on my forms cos when I do the next interview I dont want them to think I'm lying to them. They seem to be a law unto themselves. I hope you get it sorted. Good luck.

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @tees. Welcome to the forums!

Citizen’s Advice have lots of advice on appealing a benefits decision. You can phone their helpline (contact details can be found on their contact page) for further advice or take a look at information on their website. 

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/contact-us/contact-us/contact-us/

You may also wish to read this article on contesting decisions 

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/benefits-introduction/problems-with-benefits-and-tax-credits/challenging-a-benefit-decision/challenging-a-benefit-decision-where-to-start/

You only have a month to appeal. You can request a mandatory reconsideration via this form. Give examples of situations when you struggle to do something alone. At least two is advised.  

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/challenge-a-decision-made-by-the-department-for-work-and-pensions-dwp

This is a tool that can be used to write a appeal letter 

https://www.advicenow.org.uk/pip-tool

I hope this is useful! Keep us updated regarding the outcome. If the MR fails, you will have to take it to tribunal. It is rare for them to contradict the report however. Regarding your mobility car, I’d contact Motability on Monday or email them tomorrow to find out why. I hope it can be resolved swiftly in your favor as well. Best wishes! 

Brightness