Removal of carers allowance — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Removal of carers allowance

Stargazer6
Stargazer6 Community member Posts: 4 Connected
I had it stopped when I got to state pension, reason given was pension is classed as  a benefit, I payed into this all my life, how can it be a benefit ?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

State pension and carers allowance can't be paid together because they are classed as over lapping benefits. However, you can still have an underlying entitlement to it which means it could increase others benefits or mean you'll become entitled to them. See link. https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/financial-support/help-with-benefits/other-pension-age-benefits

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Stargazer6
    Stargazer6 Community member Posts: 4 Connected
    Still don't think state. Pension is a benefit, if I never paid in I wouldn't have got anything at all its a joke.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Unfortunately, it's a benefit and most people of state pension age claim this, whether you've been claiming benefits and been paid your NI credits or whether you've paid them yourself through working.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.