severe disability premium — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

severe disability premium

ants2019
ants2019 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
edited September 2019 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi I wonder if anyone can help. A couple of weeks ago I saw on social media about this premium. A year ago me and my partner got put on to Uc he used to be on ESA and I lost my job and the job centre said we had to make a claim to uc. Now we have just found out that we are entitled to this premium my sister is my husband carer I know he can't recived this but I can. We need some help. I've been in talks with uc over this and they say they can't backdated it and talk to CAB I've tryed today but need to phone up on Monday to book an appointment. I used to be on esa and before that I was on  incapacity benefit all ways had DLA and pip. 2 years ago esa said im not sick enough anymore so had to find a job. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,338 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,
    No premiums are paid on UC unfortunately.

However, when your partner claimed ESA were you claiming as a couple or was it your partners claim?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • ants2019
    No we wasn't together at the time and never received this premium either of us.this is why they told us to go on uc as a couple. I did see that 2 disabled people when to court and won the case because they got put onto uc
  • poppy123456
    edited September 2019
    Were you working before you lived with your partner? which means you weren't claiming Income Related ESA/JSA or Income Support?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • ants2019
    I wasn't with my partner when he was on esa and I worked. He did have income related esa. And when I was on esa mine was the same 
  • poppy123456
    You said you used to be on ESA and then DWP said you weren't sick anymore so had to find a job. Did your ESA stop completely 2 years ago?

If so, Whether you would be entitled to any backdated money from the time when you were claiming ESA 2 years ago with depend on your circumstances at that time.

As it stands right now i'm afraid the severe disability premium isn't paid on UC and because you weren't claiming the SDP within 1 month of claiming UC then you won't be entitled to any backdated money. What you read online with the disabled people is a completely different situation to yours.
  • ants2019
    How is it if we didn't know we could claim this premium? Not the disabled persons fault. We was wrongly put onto uc credit and has only come to light now.
  • ants2019
    I've spoken to esa yesterday about the back payment and they have filled the forms in back to 2009 when I claimed esa. If people don't know they are entitled to something how do they know 
  • poppy123456
    If you were entitled to it at that time then you can apply for it now and you'll be backdated any money owed to you. For you to have been entitled to SDP when you were claiming ESA then you must have been claiming Income Related ESA, you also need to have been claiming either PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care. No one must have been claiming carers allowance for looking after you and must have lived alone or be classed as living alone.

If all of this applied to you then you'll need to contact ESA and tell them you want to claim for the SDP for when you were claiming ESA. Any money owed to you will be backdated to when you qualified.

Unfortunately because you're now claiming UC you won't be paid any premiums going forward. When you claimed UC your weren't claiming and qualifying benefit  because you were working, therefore you weren't in receipt of any SDP.

Hope this helps.
  • ants2019
    I have put a claim in for the back pay done that yesterday. As I said I've all ways been on DLA high care. And now pip. I was working while claiming uc because my wage was low. But because me n my partner got together last September we had to do a claim for uc
  • poppy123456
    Then you will need to wait for DWP to assess you. Hopefully you won't be waiting too long.
  • ants2019
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ants2019 and a warm welcome to the community. :)

Please do let me know if there is anything else we can do to help!
    Scope

• ants2019
    Thank you Chloe 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.