All the info in one place, on a town’s accessibility - would you use it?? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

All the info in one place, on a town’s accessibility - would you use it??

ruthwxm
ruthwxm Community member Posts: 17 Courageous

“ACCESSIBLE WREXHAM”

I’m planning a project putting together a web page and printed hand-out pulling together everything a disabled visitor to Wrexham, my home town, would like to know.

Parking, accessible toilets, which pubs/restaurants are disabled friendly, maybe with videos?? Shopmobility details, etc etc.

If something like this were available, do you think it would make you more likely to head here for an outing, or shopping?

Martin and I find the research we need to do before visiting a new town quite time consuming and difficult, we would love to see something like this with all the info in one place...

Euan’s Guide is great, but mostly covers a particular attraction rather than a whole town...

Would appreciate any opinions and suggestions?

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2019
    Hello @ruthwxm. Welcome to Scope! 

I think this is a very good idea. As a mom of a physically disabled toddler, I have often tried to find information that is not always easy to find. I have also called up the attraction or emailed them with my unanswered questions as well.

I hate planning days out because of the lack of information out there on accessibility. Why don't you create a quick survey to find out what other disabled people think? That way you can use the responses to your advantage. Personally I would include Shopmobility details as a extra as not all disabled people use them. 

A website would be handy too. Categories are your best friend, so try to make full use of them. It makes it easier for people to view information. To answer your question, yes it would simplify things. I often do not have the time or patience to read lots of information either. Choose a appropriate font and make sure the text size is appropriate. Get constructive feedback. 

Alternatively you could always design a booklet on Wrexham. Again, use different categories. Make sure to do your research beforehand. What about a fact file on Wrexham or a article instead? If you do decide to create a fact file, invest in binders or labels. Check your spelling carefully. Remember it takes time to create a website. Bear that in mind.

You might find it easier to divide the work up. Make a short list of tasks for each of you to do. Number them one by one. Refer to them as well. 
  • ruthwxm
    Thanks for all those really helpful suggestions! Luckily I wouldn’t have to design the webpage or booklet myself, we hope to be given a grant by our local council which will fund a professional to do that, we are lucky enough to have a Wrexham Business Group member who will be able to do it at a very reasonable price...
    What categories do you think you would find helpful yourself?  Parking, toilets, food and drink, attractions - what have I forgotten? 
  • April2018mom
    edited September 2019
    A possible list of categories:

Food/drink (restaurants/pubs. Make sure you include a brief description of food and opening times)
    Useful information (list email addresses and phone numbers) 
    Things to do and see (provide information on shops and visitor attractions including what type and other details like times)
    How to arrive there (include directions and a small map if possible on this page) 
    Public facilities (carparks/toilets included)
    Events (short description of funfairs etc) 
    Where to stay (details of hotels and so on) 
    News (mention significant events that worry people or give them hope here) 

I think that is it! Let us know how you get on with this project @ruthwxm
    Oh and use photos. If you need further help, let me know. 
  • Jurph
    Jurph Community member Posts: 369 Pioneering
    Obvious steps!

If there's 3 steps on a public footpath from the car park to the attraction for example. No one ever tells you that.

Or that the nearest pedestrian crossing is 200 yards away.
  • ruthwxm
    How true - I think one reason is that when you’re able bodied you just don’t notice things like odd steps or uneven pavements - then suddenly when using a rollator or wheelchair they can ruin your day! 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ruthwxm, this sounds like a great idea, how are you doing?
    Scope

• April2018mom
    How is the project @ruthwxm?
  • ruthwxm
    Hi sorry not to answer these queries earlier! Making a little headway - looking at applying for a grant which will make it easier to do the website and a printed booklet too.
    Going to announce the project at our Town Centre Forum meeting this week and ask for help and feedback.
    womdering whether to start a dedicated Facebook page or group for the project as well. I already look after five different pages so not sure whether I want another extra one!!
    im having a great correspondence with a lady at Erddig Hall our local National Trust property, about making some changes there to make it more disabled-friendly. She thinks the idea of the Accessible Wrexham website is great too...

• April2018mom
    ruthwxm said:
    Hi sorry not to answer these queries earlier! Making a little headway - looking at applying for a grant which will make it easier to do the website and a printed booklet too.
    Going to announce the project at our Town Centre Forum meeting this week and ask for help and feedback.
    womdering whether to start a dedicated Facebook page or group for the project as well. I already look after five different pages so not sure whether I want another extra one!!
    im having a great correspondence with a lady at Erddig Hall our local National Trust property, about making some changes there to make it more disabled-friendly. She thinks the idea of the Accessible Wrexham website is great too...

Can’t wait to see the finished product @ruthwxm
  • April2018mom
    How is the project @ruthwxm

Brightness