Successful Pip Telephone tribunal — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Successful Pip Telephone tribunal

dwolf94
dwolf94 Community member Posts: 11 Connected
I had my tribunal today and although I was a bag or nerves and had to have a 10 minute break from the call I was treated with such kindness and compassion by the judge & Dr and also another lady on the panel, I was called back within 10 minuets of the tribunal ending and was told my appeal was successful!! I cried and thanked them again I’ve gone through 20 months of hell to finally be heard for the first time, the appeal process is long and gruelling it’s extremely hard on the mental health. There are YouTube videos that really helped me prepare and another website with details and forms for you to fill and go through on the day so you don’t miss anything out you think they should hear. Right now I’m in a state of shock as this news has only just been told to me I want to be happy but until I get the letter from DWP it still feels like a stage of limbo I’m hoping I don’t have to wait longer than the 6 week period. I’m not sure what I get but I know that I’m enhanced daily living 
standard mobility unsure of the exact sums. But I can finally get myself a career and start having some sort of life back!!  

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,910 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Great news! It can take 8 weeks to receive backdated money after a Tribunal win. DWP will eventually contact you.

PIP amounts are as follows Enhanced daily living (from April 2019) £87.65 per week.
    Standard mobility £23.20 per week.

Depending on your other circumstances and what other benefits you maybe claiming you could also be entitled to other benefits. If you could please tell me what other benefits you claim and whether you live alone, i'll happily help you further.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Amazing news @dwolf94! :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Jurph
    Jurph Community member Posts: 369 Pioneering
    Great news @dwolf94 congratulations
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,935 Scope online community team
    That's brilliant news @dwolf94! We don't hear a lot from those having telephone tribunals so thank you for sharing your experience with us. I hope you receive your letter soon so you can feel a little more at ease. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @dwolf94, thank you so much for sharing this with us and congratulations! It must be such a weight lifted off your shoulders! I hope you don't have to wait too long for the letter. :) 
    Scope

• dwolf94
    It is such a relief I’ve gone through this since December 2017 so to say It’s all over and Done with i just a lot more free and it’s not looming over my life anymore regardless. But I think the main point for me was to write down each descriptor and describe why these effect me and for how long it goes on I did have to have a little break they give me 10 minuets then rang me back they where so kind and patient I only wish everybody had a panel like that with people who really want to know the truth and look at it properly rather than go off a script like Capita do. 
    I just have to Wait now for my letter because I’m not sure how my payments will work or when it’s will officially start. I’m not even sure they have my bank details anyone know how this works? 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Thank you for sharing this information with us. It can take up to 8 weeks for payments to start and you will receive a one off payment of your backdated money. If you are unsure if they have your bank details then I would advise ringing up and checking.

I hope it doesn't take long to be sorted and congratulations again!
    Scope

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    dwolf94 said:
    It is such a relief I’ve gone through this since December 2017 so to say It’s all over and Done with i just a lot more free and it’s not looming over my life anymore regardless. But I think the main point for me was to write down each descriptor and describe why these effect me and for how long it goes on I did have to have a little break they give me 10 minuets then rang me back they where so kind and patient I only wish everybody had a panel like that with people who really want to know the truth and look at it properly rather than go off a script like Capita do. 
    I just have to Wait now for my letter because I’m not sure how my payments will work or when it’s will officially start. I’m not even sure they have my bank details anyone know how this works? 
    Oh, thank heavens for this. I am so so so pleased for you. You battled on won through. Brilliant news.xxxx
  • djc1991
    djc1991 Community member Posts: 18 Connected
    Hi 
    Congratulations! 

Im just wondering if this was a new PIP claim that was refused at assessment and MR stage? 

Im currently in this position and applied in November 2018 so unsure of what’s happening now; DWP haven’t responded and apparently it’s being sent to a judge now but I’m not sure whether they’re to make the decision regarding the claim or the DWP’s failure to respond. 

It’s a nightmare! 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,910 Disability Gamechanger
    djc1991 said:
    Hi 
    Congratulations! 

Im just wondering if this was a new PIP claim that was refused at assessment and MR stage? 

Im currently in this position and applied in November 2018 so unsure of what’s happening now; DWP haven’t responded and apparently it’s being sent to a judge now but I’m not sure whether they’re to make the decision regarding the claim or the DWP’s failure to respond. 

It’s a nightmare! 
    Hi,

This happens often with DWP where they don't respond. The hearing will still go ahead and you will still need to present your case.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Willwill
    Willwill Community member Posts: 67 Pioneering
    edited October 2019
    @dwolf94 brilliant news , such a relief, I feel for you , I have just has mine Tribunal at the court  (small room) last Thursday 3 October , got letter Saturday 5  Oct ,,took aprox 20 minutes before opened letter , appeal allowed from 21/01/2019  to ,21/01/2024, once again well done it will take few days to recover at least the torment is over. sleep well ,,,de Will 
  • dwolf94
    djc1991 said:
    Hi 
    Congratulations! 

It’s a nightmare! 
    Initial application/assessment scored 0 I then ask for the MR again scored 0 I then within the 30 days went for an appeal which took 23 months which was held on the 1st of October I won that and I was awarded for 5 years but the claim starting from the very first time I applied which was 25/10/2017 so they have to back date it to that time. 
    I hope they are quicker with you than what they where with me. It’s torture but please remember they will no consider anything after the date of claim it sounds silly but you will be basically being asked to go back in time to how your disabilities effected you around the time of your original claim so try not to focus too much on how you may have declined or worsened since then as they are only interested in what the assessor saw/reported back then. 
    Good luck please keep the post updated x
  • dwolf94
    I had a phone call today from PIP they asked me a few questions which I think is mandatory ie: have I been in prison/hospital ect. 
    They told me they had already processed and are now waiting for the reward to be sent to my bank but because it’s being back dated basically 2 years it’s a substantial amount I couldn’t really understand through his thick Scottish accent (no offence) I have slight hearing problems but he said something about the management team? Not sure exactly what it means but if anyone has insight please let me know. They told me 5-10 days I should have it in my bank along with the letter in the post. They also said my ESA may increase has this happened to anyone else? I’m currently in the support  group. TIA 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,935 Scope online community team
    Hi @dwolf94, fingers crossed you're not waiting too long and it's with you soon. Depending on your situation and what you currently receive, it could add some premiums to your ESA which is why that may increase (this would also be backdated too). 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • dwolf94
    i was told I’d receive my payment this week (including backdate) which I had no idea about, however this morning I got a call to tell me it’s now going through a management check because the sun was a large amount again have no idea how much I just wanted to get my normal monthly money started and now there telling me they are unable to process any payments until a manager has checked it all “it should be done this week” I tried not to laugh on the phone because I know exactly what that means by people like this! They said I’d have to wait for a letter once I’ve got that it will tell me the breakdown of my exact award which he refused to tell me over the phone. They said once manager has done whatever the payment will be issued 5working days afterwards. I had assumed this went through all to quickly so I did not get my hopes up but I’m pretty sure there supposed to tell me how much my monthly allowance award is. Has anyone had “management check “ experience? 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @dwolf94, I imagine this is annoying, have you heard anything else?
    Scope

• Redeemed
    Redeemed Community member Posts: 42 Courageous
    Well I got a letter yesterday informing me of my trribunal over the phone next Friday the 5th and I have to admit I was surprised because I didn;t know these things happened. If anyone has any tips for the process please share as I'm in the dark on this one.
    My thoughts were that they only offered telephone tribunals to those cases who are likely to be successful and so it saves some time at court (wishful thinking probably).
  • Gazsparky
    Gazsparky Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hello, I have just had a telephone appeal today due to COVID - 19 I appealed in Nov 2019 after receiving my original decision and then a mandatory reconsideration. I was expecting a letter approx Oct 2020  to go in person. I got to say I had plenty of opportunity to give my side and explain why i didn't agree and the 3 people on the phone the judge, a GP and one other person were very nice and understood my concerns. I have to wait 10 - 14 days for paperwork and discussion.  
  • Redeemed
    Redeemed Community member Posts: 42 Courageous
    Well I had my telephone tribunal on Friday 5th. Judge was very nice, listened and had obviously read my submissions.
    The doctor and disability advisor were friendly but it struck me that the latter hadn't read my notes at all.
    On the phone for 55 minutes, the judge was very thorough and now it's just a matter of waiting, fingers crossed.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.