Operation update — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Operation update

Birdsnbees
Birdsnbees Community member Posts: 75 Pioneering
edited October 2019 in Coffee lounge
Hi scope people

I posted some threads and replies a while back about having an operation and had people saying let us know how it goes.

The operation went well they did way more than I thought they were doing I had no idea the extent of it until my follow up with the consultant

Felt sickly after anaesthetic for a day or so I stayed fast asleep throughout and woke up well

I went in at 8.30 woke up 11.45

The hospital staff were lovely amazing I sent them a nice thank you card

They were great at getting you to get up get out of bed supporting you to be your best

I was in for five days by day four I was ready to go home

Had a meltdown from all the noise around me - had a woman opposite me having a lovely loud convo with her boyfriend on the phone and some women bitching in the ward over

Anyway I had a chat with myself sang some songs got out into the day room and watched some tv

Thank god I was mobile enough at that point to go anywhere I think next time I will take a portable radio plug myself in and earphones or a small tablet to watch movies on watch movies at visiting time

I did struggle with visiting times I'm autistic and introverted and didn't want visitors I'd rather get well and get out of hospital to meet people outside

Plus more people come in more spread of hospital bugs I dont want people I love and care about to be part of that

I get not everyone is like this and needs visitors but gosh some nights it got so busy in there I was hiding in my jumper blanket

Yes it was painful recovery I am getting better and healing at home

Been to physio and they are great doing my exercises daily

Got to get this one healed up then will have the other knee operated on a similar procedure

People I have met have been friendly and helpful where ever I need help which is nice when Went out to the shops people help me pick up things get to the check out taxi drivers are helpful too and my neighbours

My pain relief is helpful still get pain in different parts
after appointments and trying to do things for myself can be hard too trying to rest and not do too much to soon

I still have difficulty with the other knee using it more now

Hope everyone is as well as can be

I have another 2 months of recovery

Hoping to have my assessment soon for autism

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Birdsnbees It's great to read how well your knee surgery has gone & that your physio treatment is going well, & also that others have been helpful since you got home when you've needed assistance.

I'm sorry to read you need to go through a similar operation on the other knee, but, if you recover as well as this, I'm sure you'll do fine, & benefit from this also.

You seem to have such a positive attitude despite the problems you faced in hospital. There's no place like home however is there for any of us?

When I was last in hospital with a fractured hip, there was this lovely elderly lady I'd gotten to know who'd fractured her spine. She was in so much pain one evening that she was eventually given stronger medication which unfortunately caused her to hallucinate. I tried to reassure her during the night, & another lady joined me. Later I thanked her for her help, as I knew she was recovering from knee surgery & was in a lot of pain. I said you're just like a good Samaritan..... towards morning she said, actually I am one.

As you've also found there are some good people around.....& sometimes just when you need them.

Do take care & try not to overdo it; easier said than done, I know. Hope your autism assessment is helpful & that you'll continue to update us all with your progress.

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Birdsnbees and thank you for taking the time to update us about your operation. I am so glad to hear that it went well and it sounds like you have great support around you.

I can understand why you found the hospital overwhelming at times and I hope the radio helps next time, that sounds like a great idea!

I hope the rest of your recovery goes well and it is just as successful next time around. I look forward to hearing how you are doing and I hope the autism assessment goes okay. :)
    Scope

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Good luck with the autism evaluation @birdsnbees
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Great to hear back from you @Birdsnbees. Let us know how you get on with your assessment! :smiley:
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    How was the evaluation @Birdsnbees?
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @Birdsnbees, how are you getting on. :)
    Scope

• Birdsnbees
    Birdsnbees Community member Posts: 75 Pioneering
    Hi @April2018mom and @Chloe_Scope thanks so much for checking up on me :smile: it made me smile when I saw you had taken the time to check up

I've not had my assessment yet, still waiting. Hope to hear something in november to january at the latest. Is it worth me trying to chase it up or best to wait at this point? I could really do with it as soon as possible. It is having a massive affect on my life and always have done and having a diagnosis would help me big time.

my knee is healing well and getting less numb on the skin around it which is great the people I have encountered in recovery are still lovely and supportive and have had some lovely chats with tesco staff and found out today that asda do grocery deliveries to hospital which has made my day. the next time i am hauled up in hospital i will be ordering a load of fresh fruit cereal bars and munchies along with dry shampoo to get me through the time :) i will add this to the thread with tips for us

• Chloe_Scope
    No problem at all @Birdsnbees! There is always no harm in chasing things up. :)

That's great to hear and we'd love to hear your tips! I know dry shampoo was a must for me!  :cold_sweat:

Hope you have a lovely day. :)
    Scope

Brightness