DLA turning into PIP, advice please? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DLA turning into PIP, advice please?

Options
Aura
Aura Community member Posts: 43 Pioneering
I'm a bit worried at the moment as i've just recieved a letter saying my DLA benifit is stopping and being moved to PIP.  I had a word with a friend of mine and they stopped hers and she had to go to court to appeal.  I have Aspbergers and anxiety and know nothing about court appeals, other then they are leanghty and complicated.  if I lose my Pip then I'll have to give a lot of things up which I don't want to do.  can anyone advise me please?

I've rang up and they are going to send me a form, i have until April 20th, the clocks ticking.
All women are equal.  Deeds, not words.

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Aura
    I know it can be worrying, especially when you know people who it didnt go well for, but all you can do now is apply for the PIP and put in the best application form you can. There is a PIP self test you can do to see how you could score.

There is some great advice on the CAB website about filling in your PIP claim form here. It goes through question by question telling you more abotu what they are asking and how to fill it in.

It can help to understand what they are looking for, and to remember that it is not about your diagnosis but about how your impairment affects you on a day to day basis.

The daily living activities

To get the daily living component of PIP, you must have a physical or mental condition that limits your ability to carry out some or all of these activities:

• preparing food
    • eating and drinking
    • managing your treatments
    • washing and bathing
    • managing toilet needs or incontinence
    • dressing and undressing
    • communicating verbally 
    • reading and understanding written information
    • mixing with others
    • making decisions about money

The mobility activities

To get the mobility component of PIP, you must have a physical or mental condition that limits your ability to carry out some or all of these activities:

• planning and following journeys
    • moving around

The descriptors

Your ability to carry out each activity is measured against a list of standard statements describing what you can or can’t do. These are known as the descriptors. The health professional will advise the DWP which descriptor applies to you for each activity.

For example, there are 6 descriptors for ‘Dressing and undressing’, ranging from ‘Can dress and undress unaided’ to ‘Cannot dress or undress at all’.

Each descriptor carries a points score ranging from 0 to 12.

Download: Table of activities, descriptors and points [ 69 kb]
    Download: Guide to the language used in the activities and descriptors [ 43 kb]

When the assessor decides which descriptor applies to you, they must consider whether you can carry out the activity reliably. This means:

• safely in a way that is unlikely to cause harm either to you or anyone else, either during the activity or afterwards
    • to an acceptable standard
    • repeatedly as often as is reasonably required
    • in a reasonable time period - should take you no more than twice as long someone without your condition
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Aura
    Options
    Thanks for your reply.  I suffer from stress and anxiety, I also have Scholiocis (curvature of the spine, or spin as my doctor called it once).  I get confused with filling in forms due to my Aspbergers that's why I wouldn't understand court systems etc.  I've tried the PIP test, but some of the questions are a bit dauntingly confusing, so I would have to get someone to go with me.  

My friend who was refused was working an hour as a cleaner in a bank, as I don't work, but I am in support groups for my condition.  still doesn't stop me worrying through.
  • Aura
    Options
    Just an update, the pip assessor came an interview with me. She was a very nice lady, but then they always are because they are nice on purpose deliberately to try and catch you out.

I've received a letter in the post yesterday saying that they have all the information they need about me now, I'm a bit worried because they never contacted my doctor and I couldn't afford to get a doctor's note. at my surgery I never see the same doctor twice, it's all different doctors and medical staff.

I'm worried about getting low points. I have a disabled bus pass, and I'll have to give that up if I got low points.  I would have to give other things up as well which I don't want to do do.

if I do get low points, I have to appeal, I never been in the courtroom in my life. I've heard that they are notorious for postponing the appeals. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Not all HCP's are horrible, believe it or not there are some very nice ones out there. I've never had a bad one yet and i've had 6 face to face assessments in total for ESA and PIP.

The reason they never contacted your GP or any other medical professional is because they very rarely do this. It's the claimant responsibility to prove they qualify, not there's.

The letter you received is just a standard letter sent to everyone and a decision could be anything from 2-8 weeks. sometimes longer. You can ring DWP to request a copy of the assessment report to be sent to you, this will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the report. You will still  have to wait for a decision though.

If you're not happy with the decision you have 1 month to request the Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) if that fails then it's Tribunal but it's not a court, it's just a basic room with 1 table. They only adjourn an appeal if there's good reason to do so. Hopefully it won't come to this and you'll be successfully awarded. Your DLA will continue until a decision's been made on the PIP.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.