hello, im new here — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

hello, im new here

mrbuttons
mrbuttons Community member Posts: 221 Pioneering
hello
 imnew to this forum and would like to say HI"

Comments

• emmarenshaw
    emmarenshaw Community member Posts: 710 Pioneering
    Hello @mrbuttons a warm welcome to the community.
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @mrbuttons and welcome to the community! Would you like to tell us a bit about yourself? :) 
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • AnkyieSpon
    AnkyieSpon Community member Posts: 138 Pioneering
    Hi @mrbuttons welcome to the community. Tell us a little about your self. 
    Tina 
    (Ankyie Spon)
    I'm a Pain Warrior
  • mrbuttons
    Hi all and thanks for the lovely warm welcome. Despite my username i am female, my cat walked over my keyboard as i was joining up. Hes such a curious little furbaby.

I have a Dwp assessment in 2wks and im absolutely terrified. I suffer with chronic pain from arthritis and fibromyalgia. Also recovering from a stroke which has left me with balance problems and weakness on one side of my body, along with anxiety and depression. The thought of being prodded and interrogated by a stranger fills me with terror because i have ptsd following a recent assault.

Im generally optimistic and level headed but my pain has been awful lately and i can get a bit emotional at times.

I joined up here on the advice of my lovely carer. She thought i would benefit from being part of an online community because i dont go out much and i like to think i can offer a supportive, friendly shoulder to others in a similar situation as me.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @mrbuttons    Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am one of the team of community champions.  We guide, advise and help new members who join the community.

Please have a look around our forum and community. Please feel free to join in discussions. Hope you enjoy your time with us.  We are friendly.

Please ask if we can help and advise on anything.  Some one will know a member of our team or a member of our community.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello Mr Buttons. Glad you found us and this is a supportive group. I`ve been a member a couple of months and really enjoy chatting here.

I had my PIP f2f assessment on 3rd and am dreading the letter coming. I`ve decided against asking for a copy of the report, as if it isnt good, I`ll fret myself daft.

I truly hope you get the right result. xxx
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @mrbuttons and a very warm welcome to the community! Thank you taking the time to share this with us all and if you have any questions then please do let us know!

If you would like a good natter with us all then the coffee lounge is a great place to start. :)
    Scope

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @mrbuttons and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you and thank you for sharing with us.  I am sorry to hear of your struggles and really hope your DWP assessment goes well for you.  Please let us know how you get on.  It is only natural to feel apprehensive about it.  Do you have someone who can accompany you to the assessment for moral support?  You will find the Community to be a lovely, supportive space with lots of friendly people on it, all ready to have a chat to you anytime.  Please look around the site and join in any discussions you fancy.  I have pain a lot too so can appreciate how debilitating this can be at times, but you will receive so much support here.  So please feel free to let us know if there is anything we can help you with.  

I have a cat too who likes to walk across my laptop keyboard when I type.  They are nosy creatures, aren't they?!  

All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Great to have you with us @mrbuttons. Please let us know if there's anything we can help you with.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Philippa1961
    Philippa1961 Community member Posts: 19 Courageous
    I suffer with osteoarthritis so know how painful that can be but it does help to know that others understand.  I have four cats - Grace, Peggy-Sue, Storm and Shadow - plus two dogs called Cassie and Bandit, having pets helps doesn't it..,
    Whenever you find yourself doubting how far you can go, just remember how far you have come. remember everything you have faced, all the battles you have won, and all the fears you have overcome.
  • mrbuttons
    @Philippa1961 you are right, our pets are such a comfort when things are going badly. my cat, mr buttons is a warm and fluffy  cuddle monster on days i am stuck in bed nursing my pain. they seem to know when we are unwell or in need of comfort. on good days his silly antics keep me entertained. where would we be without them?
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @mrbuttons, how are you and Mr Buttons doing today? :)
    Scope

• mrbuttons
    @Chloe_Scopethanks for asking Chloe. i didnt get much sleep last night, worrying about my f2f assessment tomorrow . my carer is due to come with me but i have convinced myself that she wont be able to.
    i tend to over think things when i worry nonstop. i used to be much worse and have self harmed in the past, i know i am no longer at risk of that  kind of behaviour, but i still dont react well to the prolonged stress and distress of the re-assessment process.

i am sure i will feel better tomorrow after the assessment regardless of how it goes. just having it over and done with will be a wight off my mind regardless of the outcome
    i'm having a good cry to release some stress at the moment.i will do my best to get some sleep tonight so i can deal with the 20 mile journey tomorrow.

i hope everyone else is doing well today. keep you collective chins up. they cant beat us ALL down.

• Ails
    Hi @mrbuttons, really sorry to hear you haven't had much sleep and have been upset and worried about your assessment tomorrow.  I agree that sometimes a good cry can help at times!  I hope it goes well for you tomorrow and please let us know how you get on.  All the best.  :smile:
  • AnkyieSpon
    AnkyieSpon Community member Posts: 138 Pioneering
    @mrbuttons cats are great at making us feel better when we are down or in pain. I have one too and she's anxious like me ? but she is just the therapy that's needed.
    You can't help the way you feel, I'm an over thinker too and it's got me in a right old state over the years. I'm learning now with CBT therapy to change the way I think, I highly recommend it and maybe you should try some meditation and aromatherapy too. Stress aggrevates pain so the more we relax the better. 
    I hope your assessment goes well, just be honest and say everything you need to say. Good luck and let us know. 
    Tina 
    (Ankyie Spon)
    I'm a Pain Warrior
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @mrbuttons, I'm sorry to hear it has been affecting your sleep. I hope you managed to get some rest.

I wish you all the luck today! :)
    Scope

• LadyonWheels
    LadyonWheels Community member Posts: 8 Courageous
    Hello 
    I'm new here myself. 
    Welcome to the Community 
  • paffuto10
    paffuto10 Community member Posts: 388 Pioneering

@mrbuttons

Another one here wishing you luck for today.

Hope it goes smoothly for you and that you can catch up on your sleep tonight. 
  • GamerGirl37
    GamerGirl37 Community member Posts: 97 Pioneering
    Hi everyone I’m new trying to get a mandatory reconsideration notice then getting told my information was not received by them ..... 
  • Ails
    Hi @GamerGirl37 and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you.  I'm sorry to hear of this.  Many of our members also have or had DWP struggles, as I have had, and can relate to what you are going through as it must be really frustrating!   You may find Scope's info about this helpful:-

https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/challenging-PIP-or-other-benefits-decisions/

I am sure that there will be other members or one of the Community Team who maybe able to advise you also.  Please keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on.  All the best.  :smile:

Brightness