Special needs — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Special needs

bishop43
bishop43 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
I'm after some advice please my daughter has dyslexia and other complex needs she's in the last year at junior school and we just about to pick her secondary school  she has her heart set on one school  which her friends are going to but her teacher think she wouldnt be able to cope in a main stream school. my husband wants to give her a chance for the first six month but I'm really worried  please can anybody give me some advice  because I don't know which way to turn very worried parent

Comments

• dolfrog
    dolfrog Community member Posts: 441 Pioneering
    It can depend on the underlying cause of her dyslexia, there are three possible underlying causes auditory processing disorder, visual processing disorder, attention disorder, or any combination of  these issues. So you will need to find the school best able to provide the accommodations she may need for the cause or causes of her dyslexia symptom.

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    This is a website that has details of special schools in Britain. You might find it helpful. 
    But dyslexic children can cope with mainstream schools. 

https://www.specialneedsuk.org/findaschool.asp
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @bishop43. Does your daughter have an EHCP?

It might be worth you getting in touch with the secondary school she's hoping to attend and talk about your concerns with them. They'll be able to discuss with you the support and resources they have available.
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness