Applying for a provisional licence — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Applying for a provisional licence

starbuck
starbuck Community member Posts: 172 Courageous
Our son wants to apply for a provisional licence. I wasn't sure if his problems needed to be declared to the DVLA so I rang the so-called helpline for more info, but they weren't helpful at all. I spoke to a rather angry man who said if I had any queries about him we should visit the GP and they would be able to tell us if he can drive or not. 
Today we visited the GP and she said she didn't have the qualifications to say whether or not our son could drive and she wished the DVLA would stop sending people to see her about this! 
She asked what our query was and why we'd even asked the DVLA. I explained that he has short term auditory memory problems which have caused speech and language problems for him all his life. She said she didn't know what that was and she would have to put in a referral to the local mental health clinic and someone there would assess our son and say if he was fit to drive. She said this would take many months as the waiting list is very long. 
I know we'll have to declare our son's childhood epilepsy to the DVLA but he hasn't had a seizure for many years. I have no idea if his auditory memory problems need to be declared to the DVLA. They aren't on their list of conditions. 
I'm beginning to wish I'd never mentioned it now and just filled in the application and only mentioned his epilepsy, but I wanted to check and make sure everything was legal and above board in case they do have to know, but at the moment I feel like we're getting nowhere. 
 He desperately wants the licence as ID as he cannot even buy a bottle of Mountain Dew in without being challenged about his age as he looks so young. 

Comments

• Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Aint it tipical you try to do the right thing  and the DWP chuck a spanner in the works.
    Hope the wait isnt that long
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Misscleo said:
    Aint it tipical you try to do the right thing  and the DWP chuck a spanner in the works.
    Hope the wait isnt that long
    It's not the DWP, it's DVLA regarding a driving license.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    Hi,

When applying for a driving license medical conditions should be reported, this way there won't be any problems in the future if something happens.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • starbuck
    I've had a quick look at the medical form that we may have to fill in and there's a part that asks if you need help from another person in day to day life. He does need help day to day because of his speech and language problems (as a result of his auditory memory problems). Will this affect his application?
     The weird thing is he needs help with reading and understanding some things yet has already memorised pretty much all of the highway code! 
  • WestHam06
    WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    Hi @starbuck
                          I am sorry to hear that you are having difficulty regarding support for your son's provisional driver's licence. I would recommend stating your son's speech and language difficulties on the medical form as this will enable the DVLA to make to best informed decision for your son.  When I applied for my provisional driver's licence it took a little while for them to make the decision. I hope this has been of some use, please do let me know if I can be of any more help. Thank you. 
  • starbuck
    Did they have to contact anyone else about your condition WestHam06?
    I'm not really sure how to describe the help he needs in short sentence.
  • starbuck
    It also asks what meds you take/have taken so does this mean meds in the past? How would I find this out as I can't remember what he took when he was little.
  • poppy123456
    If the driving license is only needed for ID purposes then there's other ways of getting photo ID to prove age. See link.

My daughter is 18 and will never be able to drive because of her learning disability and memory problems. I got her one of those ID cards to prove her age, it's a lot easier than a driving license if it's just for ID purposes.

If it's to learn to drive then you will need to be honest and tell them all of his conditions. By doing this you will also need to fill out a medical questionnaire and then DVLA will do their own checks.

• starbuck
    He's hoping to learn to drive when he's feeling more confident. We'll have to look for an instructor that is experienced with communication difficulties. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @starbuck, like others have said, I would recommend being as honest as possible with this. If you need medication details then you can request an electronic copy of all of his notes for free from the GP and this information should be included in there. :)

Please do keep us updated and I hope it is a smooth process!
    Scope

• atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @starbuck

I am afraid your GP is completely wrong about her role and responsibilities with the DVLA.

It is a GP’s who should advice the patient to notify the DVLA about any health condition that may affect their ability to safely operate a vehicle.

She should have directed you to the Drivers Medical Group (part of DVLA) tel: 0844 453 0118 and recorded this on your son’s medical records.

If you phoned them, they would advise you how to proceed.

They have an Expert groups of Doctors, on all conditions that could affect your driving.

They would request details of GP and treating Consultant.

All information is then assessed by a DVLA in-house Doctor and a decision will be made.

Please also note by law a GP must notify the DVLA if a patient is unfit to drive, without the patient’s consent.

All these things are in place to safeguard us all.

I had recently had to surrender my licence, whilst awaiting surgery and found the Drivers Medical team, very helpful and have since got back my licence.

There are network of driving assessment centres across the UK, who would assist you son in due course.

• starbuck
    Thankyou - do you think I should ring them for more info?
  • atlas46
    Hi @starbuck

Yes I would ring them and explain as best you can.

They are very helpful and will assist you if they can.

Let us know how you get on.

Fingers crossed.
  • starbuck
    edited October 2019
    Just rung them and they were so helpful! She said put the application in anyway with all info and if they think his conditions need investigating they will write to the gp and if needs be he will have to wait for a referral to a consultant, but she said we should get the ball rolling and see what happens. 
    Thankyou so much for that number atlas!!! 
  • atlas46
    It just got even better.

When he comes to take his driving test, there are lots of reasonable adjustments that can be requested, that will overcome any difficulties.

These could be used during his driving lessons.

Also try speaking to Regional Driving Assessment Centre on tel 0300 300 2240, You can only but ask.

Let us know how you get on.

• starbuck
  • atlas46
    Hi @starbuck

Hold the front page, more breaking news!

All good news mind.

I was interested in your post, because I suffer profound hearing loss (unexplained and undiagnosed).

Like you I searched for your son’s condition on the DVLA web, alas to no avail.

But what I did find, is you do not have to report either hearing loss or total deafness.

I can vouch for that, in that for over ten years, I have been able to drive, whilst being deaf as a post.

The same applies to memory loss, you just need advice from your GP.

So if I am correct your son can start his driving lessons, with all appropriate reasonable adjustments in place, of course.

It’s good to talk!

• starbuck
    It certainly is! ?
  • WestHam06
    WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    Hi @starbuck
                          How are you? I am pleased to hear that you seem to be progressing with an application for your son's provisional driver's licence. I contacted my GP who kindly helped me in some parts of the actual provisional driver's licence form as well as the medical one. The GP also provided me with a print out of all my medications and the dates in which I started these which I sent with my application. It is a such a shame that you have not recieved the same level of support as the GP will hold the information regarding the medication, I am sorry to hear this. It may be worth asking at the reception if the GP can arrange for a print out to be provided for you. 
    I, like @atlas46, would also recommend the Regional Driving  Assessment Centre as I found them to be extremely helpful. Once I recieved my provisional driver's licence, I applied for an assessment with them. The assessment involves professionals including a driving advisor and occupational therapist. From this, they are able to make recommendations of any adaptations that are needed to support an individual's ability to drive.  They then write a report which the individual can show to instructors to ensure the recommendations are met. I am currently under assessment to ensure that I am able to drive with the right adaptations and to ensure it is safe for me to drive.  I do hope that your son's application process becomes a little more smooth for you all and please do let us know how it goes. Please let me know if I can be of any more help. Thank you. 
  • starbuck
    Thankyou so much ???

Brightness