Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Council tax and housing benefits with SDP - help

SystemSystem Posts: 568

Scope community team

This discussion was created from comments split from: How do you qualify for the severe disablement premium on esa?.

Replies

• johndevaneyjohndevaney Member Posts: 5 Listener
    i am having issues around council tax and housing benefit as they are asking about severe disability premium do you get this as part of a benefit ?

• Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 8,052

Scope community team

edited October 2019
    Hello @johndevaney. Could you tell us a litttle bit more about the situation? Are you trying to make a new claim for housing benefit?
    SDP is a premium that's added to income-related benefits for some people. It isn't in payment on housing benefit but is added to the claim.
    Community Manager
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Adrian_scope  its for my mother in law she is on high rate mobility high rate care and is also on income related ESA  she recently moved in to supported accommodation a flat of her own and she now lives alone we applied for housing and council tax benefit and they are questioning is she get SDP on her benefits could you help me with some advice please.
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,936 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2019
    The reason they are asking this is if she's moved to a different local council and doesn't claim the SDP in any of her benefits then she won't be able to start a new claim for housing benefit and it will have to be universal credit.

Before she moved, was she living alone and was anyone claiming carers allowance for looking after her? and does anyone claim carers allowance or carers premium/carers element of UC for her at the moment?

Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
    poppy she lived with us before and we didn't claim anything for her at all and now she lives alone and housing are looking for us to see if she gets severe disability premium but i am at a loss she does get sea and a portion is support group payment at £38.55 a week but not sure what that is and i an frustrated and waited 49 mins on dip phone line and then they cut me off

Thanks for that information that's helped me alot to advise you further.

As she doesn't currently claim any SDP then what she should do first before doing anything else is ring ESA and ask to fill in the IS10 form over the phone to claim the SDP. Once this is in payment she can then claim housing benefit BUT she won't be able to claim housing benefit until the SDP is in payment.

If she doesn't claim the SDP first then she won't be able to claim housing benefit at all and it will have to be Universal Credit and she really doesn't want to claim that if she doesn't have to.

A claim for SDP should take no longer than 1 week when claiming by phone. Providing no one claims Carers allowance for looking after her because she lives alone she will be entitled to claim this and it's an extra £65.85 per week in with her ESA. The number she needs to ring is 0800 169 0310 BUT she could be waiting an hour before they answer.

If you have anymore questions please do just ask and i'll be more than happen to advise you further.

Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
    poppy123456. 

i just wanted to say a massive thank you all you advised above is what i done today and yes i was 49 mins waiting to get someone to take my call but they did all this over the phone and they also applied for the other small parts she should have been getting between the difference between Income Related ESA and Contribution based ESA as she was advised last November she was entitled to get Contribution related ESA and i don't know the payment difference between the 2 payments they had to pay her a lump sum last November because she had not been getting paid properly from 2013 to 2018 on her benefit ESA then they changed her to Contribution related but good news is that they are letting us know by Monday about her SDP i can't thank you enough without this help and advice i would have been lost and frustrated with a very stressed mother in law. thank you. if you can advise anything else regarding rates i would appreciate it. 
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 8,052

Scope community team

edited October 2019
    Hi again @johndevaney. Poppy beat me to the punch, I'm so glad she's been able to advise you on this and you've helped your mother-in-law request the added SDP. Fingers crossed they sort this quickly. Once they do, she'll be able to put in a claim for housing benefit. If you run into problems, please don't hesitate to ask. 

Thanks for your help here @poppy123456. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    @johndevaney you're very welcome, i'm glad i could help another person!

@Adrian_Scope as always, you're welcome :)
    Adrian or poppy do either of you know the difference in payment amounts for Income related ESA or Contribution related ESA???
    Contributions based ESA is £111.65 per week. Income related with out the SDP is £128.45, with the SDP single person it's £194.30. All figures are weekly amounts.
    poppy123456. 

i just wanted to say a massive thank you all you advised above is what i done today and yes i was 49 mins waiting to get someone to take my call but they did all this over the phone and they also applied for the other small parts she should have been getting between the difference between Income Related ESA and Contribution based ESA as she was advised last November she was entitled to get Contribution related ESA and i don't know the payment difference between the 2 payments they had to pay her a lump sum last November because she had not been getting paid properly from 2013 to 2018 on her benefit ESA then they changed her to Contribution related but good news is that they are letting us know by Monday about her SDP i can't thank you enough without this help and advice i would have been lost and frustrated with a very stressed mother in law. thank you. if you can advise anything else regarding rates i would appreciate it. 
    Just re-read this. Did she transfer from Incapacity benefit onto ESA? Has she been claiming Contributions based since her claim for ESA started? If so does she claim a works pension? or have savings?

May i ask how much she receives per week?
Sign in or join us to comment.