careers allowance — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

careers allowance

bigDuane
bigDuane Community member Posts: 7 Connected
i'm no longer with my wife and living alone can i claim carers allowance for myself as i'm on started create pip for depression and anxiety 
i can't travel on public transport and most of appointments i get a taxi to and from hospital 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,329 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

I'm afraid you can't claim carers allowance for looking after yourself.

As you're living alone there's a benefit called Severe disability premium but to claim this you must be claiming certain Income related benefits. May i ask what other benefits you're claiming and do you have a PIP daily living award?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • bigDuane
    edited November 2019
    Yes a receive daily living standard and low rate mobility I was 2 point of high rate mobility this is the first time have ever been on Benifits  of any kind
  • poppy123456
    Thanks for answering my question. I'm afraid because you don't claim any certain means tested benefits like Income related ESA/JSA or Income support then you won't be able to claim the severe disability premium.

As you don't claim any other benefits, do you work and possibly claim working tax credits?

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • bigDuane
    Sorry I get esa
  • poppy123456
    If it's Income related ESA you claim and you live alone or classed as living alone then you will be entitled to claim the severe disability premium (SDP) to claim this you need to ring ESA and ask to fill out the IS10 form over the phone.

This premium pays an extra £65.85 per week in with your ESA. It can be backdated to the date you qualified.

• bigDuane
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @bigDuane! Please do let us know if there's anything else we can do to help. :)
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.