How accessible do you find Bonfire Night? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How accessible do you find Bonfire Night?

Chloe_Scope
Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
edited November 2019 in Coffee lounge

Remember, remember the fifth of November! I’m not quite sure why the saying of Guy Fawkes has always stuck with me, but there you go!

Bonfire Night (also known as Guy Fawkes) tends to include large bonfires and firework displays. I vividly remember years of getting layered up in jumpers and coats to go stand in a field and watch fireworks.

close up of a sprinkler with fireworks in the background

But how accessible do you find it?

This might be getting a wheelchair through a field in the dark or safely holding a sprinkler. It might be that you dislike all the loud bangs and different smells.

What are your thoughts on Bonfire Night? Do you come across things that are inaccessible? Do you have any solutions for us? Let us know in the comments!

Scope

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    We went to a bonfire party at a friend's house yesterday. The kids loved the sparklers. We toasted marshmallows in the dark and sipped drinks (I had water) as well. As it was the twins third birthday it was a birthday/bonfire party. I handed out slices of cake and we sang happy birthday. It was not that hard to push my son's wheelchair outside, we studiously avoided grass. Wheelchairs and grass do not mix. 
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    I have always loved sparklers but due to my poor grip, its unsafe for me to hold one. I've been trying to think of something that would make holding the sparkler safer for me.
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Ami2301 said:
    I have always loved sparklers but due to my poor grip, its unsafe for me to hold one. I've been trying to think of something that would make holding the sparkler safer for me.
    What about using something that would allow you to safely hold the firework? I searched the Internet on your behalf but could not find any information on relevant aids.
    Yesterday at our own private fireworks display, I let my son use a dirty teacup to hold a sparkler on his lap and then carefully watched him. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you for sharing this @Ami2301 and @April2018mom. I hope you both had a lovely bonfire night and weekend. :)
    Scope

Brightness