Worried about not having an advocate during assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Worried about not having an advocate during assessment

mark52
mark52 Community member Posts: 19 Listener
edited November 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I am a bit worried my support worker is on holiday and i have my pip assment at my place. She cant be there i am register sevely sighted impaired .i just worried i has i dont have a adecotve to be with me . Also i cant reange the appmiont for another day has i been given a no fault section 21 .that ended on 10th oct .so my appmiont is on the 11th of november .my mum said she come to my assment .but i am worried that not having a adecotve there with me might go against me 

Comments

• mark52
    Apparntly my support worker dont company dont have a lincese for supporting me  at my pip assment
  • Joanne_Alumni
    Joanne_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 188 Pioneering
    Hi @mark52,

Not having your advocate there should not count against you. Your mum probably knows you better than anyone else so she is the ideal person to support you.

Try not to worry about it too much. I know we hear a lot of bad things about these assessments but the majority of the assessors are fine!

I hope it goes well.
    Joanne 
    Scope
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @mark52 and a warm welcome to the community I imagine this is making it seem more stressful. The assessor will ask you the questions but it's great that your mum can go with you. Have you already cancelled an appointment? You are able to reschedule an appointment once. 

I hope this helps and please do let us know how you get on. :)
    Scope

• mark52
     My mum is coming to the assment .i am register sevely sighted impaired and golden har syndrome .alone with health prombelms. ( Angina,high blood kidney problems,also i was given a not fault section 21 from my landord on 9th august .and now he sent me a claims form for fast prossession .but brighton and hove council housing offficer is telling to go to private renting .the council private renting secter is looking for a flat for me i just hope i get a 1 bedroom flat before i get eviction . The stress with the  flat situation is making my health worse .i am worried i be homeless on the street
  • Chloe_Scope
    I'm glad your mum is coming to the assessment with you @mark52, this will be a massive help I'm sure. I can imagine this has been so stressful for you! It might be worth getting in touch with Shelter who are able to provide you with some advice that is specific to your situation. Please do let us know how you get on!
    Scope

• Chloe_Scope
    Hi @mark52, how are you doing?
    Scope

• mark52
    Hi  iam ok .i am glad i had my mum with me has i was getting stressed out .my mum when saw me getting stressed said take a deep breaths .the lady from independent .asked me a question twice pur in a different way .i i had about 20 questions .two questions I didn't like her reply to my answer.when i said i use black handle cutlery and not the sliver ones that are the same colour slivrs at both ends.she reply cant you feel the knife end .i said if i do that i would cut myself .the other one was when she asked me to do the exercises i did manage to do all but don't it slowly.the last one was when she asked me to touch my finger and thunb together . which i could not because.i was getting stressed out .to be honest if i get and payments it will help .but i got good news i have a place to move to .its private renting .but the council are paying my first month rent . paying my morving cost . helping me move .all i got to do is sign up to the dispost garntee sheame 
    .also i get take my cat with me 
  • mark52
    The other reply to the exercise i could not do .she said well you had no problrm picking up your eye drop bottle with your hand .i replyed i could not do the finger to thunb . because i was getting stressed out
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @mark52, I'm glad your mum was there to help you stay calm. I hope it all works out. If you'd like, you can request a copy of the report a week after the assessment, this will give you an indication of the award.

I hope moving goes well and please do let us know how you get on. :)
    Scope

• mark52
    Thanks will do
  • mark52
    Hi my move went well .but i just had a letter from pip that they are not awarding me PIP
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,353 Disability Gamechanger
    mark52 said:
    Hi my move went well .but i just had a letter from pip that they are not awarding me PIP
    Was it a transfer from DLA or were you already claiming PIP?

You now have 1 month from the date of the decision to request the Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) you should put this in writing stating where you think you should have scored those points and your reasons why. Adding a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

Do be aware that most MR decisions remain the same so you'll very likely have to take it to Tribunal.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • mark52
    Yer i will .no  i never applied for DLA
  • poppy123456
    A first time PIP claim or a review?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • mark52
    I got turned down two years ago but didn't appeal against it due to illness and forgot about it
  • poppy123456
    Face to face advice from an agency near you will be very helpful to you, pop your postcode into this link to see what's local to you. https://advicelocal.uk/

To constantly re-apply if using the same evidence you previously used will very likely see you being constantly refused. Taking it to Tribunal and appearing in person will be your best chance. Good luck.

• mark52
    I going to call up criztern adivce who help me fill out the form when i applied they gave ne a number to call if i get turn down 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Were you able to get in touch with Citizen's advice @mark52? I hope they're able to help with your appeal. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • mark52
    No not yet i tried calling PIP Place today and get a report on what the assessmenter wrote and ask for a form for a mandatory reconsideration appeal. In the letter they sent me .saying has my white stick has not got a roll ball at the end of it .its not a oreintian aid   
  • poppy123456
    The assessment report isn't really needed to request the MR and it can be done without it. You just need to state where you think you should have scored those points and your reasons why. Adding a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.