Carers help — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carers help

kenny
kenny Community member Posts: 74 Courageous
Hi everyone, I am the mum of a 34 year old man, who is wheelchair bound because of cerebral palsy, and has  suffered severe mental health problems, I am 71 years of age. My son is entitled to a direct payment, and for the last seven years he has been using it to take him to and from the gym, and to get out and about, this has helped his mental health improve, also strengthen his body. Because he also has a car on the Motobility scheme, but which only his Dad can drive,as he works full time, so is only available evenings and weekends to take our son out, social services, in their wisdom have decided he cannot use the money for taxis, and must use it on what they dictate. I have health issues of my own I receive no help in caring for my son, I believe social services can use their discretion, that direct payments are made to empower people's lives, in whatever way that may be. Has anyone got any advice please.

Comments

• Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,014 Pioneering
    I think your son has posted the same question?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

However, i see that the taxi's may not be part of the care plan, if this is correct then yes your local council are well within their rights to question this. He can't use the money on the things he wants.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • kenny
    kenny Community member Posts: 74 Courageous
    Yes poppy, taxis are mentioned in his care plan, all his return forms state money used for taxi fares, and has been doing so for eight years, do you think it is right that a person cannot use the money on what he or she wants if they are entitled to it. What about people who receive other benefits, they are not told they can't use it for cigarette or drinking etc, 
  • poppy123456
    Direct payments aren't anything like any other benefits. Direct payments can't be used on anything you want to use them on. That's not how direct payments works. My daughter receives direct payments to pay for a support worker and the money can't be used for anything else.

If it's mentioned in the care plan that the money can be used for taxi's then i don't understand why suddenly they are saying no. However, i do find is very strange because he has a mobility car. Has he had the mobility car for all of those 8 years? and did they know about the car?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • poppy123456
    See link and scroll down to what can i spend my direct payments on. https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/practical-support/getting-care-and-support/direct-payments

Brightness