Shocked — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Shocked

paulv2
paulv2 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
So today I had the ‘how much good can one little star do this Christmas’

This had a story in it which I’m pretty shocked reading it.

I’m nearly diagnosed and after reading the story (attached) it makes it out like you will die from this. 

What does everyone think?

Comments

• Seanchai
    Seanchai Community member Posts: 411 Pioneering
    edited November 2019
    I,m positive you cannot die from crohns disease  but it can be very debilitating ....and can cause other problems . I think this letter could be a bit misleading ( to say the least) . ...but this is obviously to raise funds .So they are hardly likely to say that everything will be fine and you will not notice crohns disease , i know two people personally with crohns and they lead a fairly normal life but there are stages where they are worse than others and when it flares up i know it can be hard to lead an " ordinary " life.
    Good luck with your treatment Paul ?
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello  its a scam like posting, we all will die but not from maybe our illnesses, disability but natural causes old age. Jesus healed people, raised them from the dead but they all died eventually. People with Chrome's live fairly normal lives but have to watch what they eat which may cause reactions, flares just like lactose intolerant, IBS and IBD sufferers, anxiety stress can all trigger flares. 
  • mrbuttons
    mrbuttons Community member Posts: 221 Pioneering
    Yep a scam 'inviting you to donate. I am disgusted at th number of these doing the rounds at the moment. I have seen so many and they all have the same approach :using a young attractive person to play the victim and exploit your good nature. 
  • paulv2
    paulv2 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    It has come from the Crohn’s membership which supports people with Crohn’s.
    all I’m saying is this letter isn’t very supporting for someone new to this. It is the complete opposite. 
  • pcoventry
    pcoventry Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
    @Seanchai is correct - you are very un likey to die from Crohn's - you are more likely to have severe infections and colorectal cancer which will do the job.

Some real scare stories about - I wouldn't donate. I would put the money in an account for my kids and then they benefit when I am gone
  • Seanchai
    Seanchai Community member Posts: 411 Pioneering
    Pcoventry ....i help charities out when i can ...but its charities that i believe do good in the community ( and other communities ) .
    We had a charity in Edinburgh who,s boss fitted out his office with top class furniture , bought himself a new car and he also had an expenses account ...he did nothing illegal ( immoral certainly but not illegal) ...a small fraction of the money he collected. ( maybe i should say his "volunteers" collected)  went to the charity they were collecting for .... that hit me hard reading that and from that day i double check every charity i give to .....Charity does begin at home , but i like to think in my own small way that i help towards a better country . I certainly do not agree with the government giving away many millions to various countries when we have homeless and poverty stricken children ( or adults) in our own streets .

Brightness