Hi, my name is Savlona! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Savlona!

Savlona
Savlona Community member Posts: 8 Connected
Hi, I've been signposted here by Navigate. My eldest child has ADHD but is happy and doing well. My youngest has recently been diagnosed with high functioning autism. He does well academically but struggles socially and emotionally and I'm working on how best to support him.

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @savlona   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am one of the team of community champions. We guide, advise and help members who join the community.

Please have a look around our website. Plenty of new friends, lots of support and advice.

One further suggestion for additional support is look at the following organisation.

National Autistic Society for any thing further they can be advising.

Helpline 020 7833 2299

Email. nas@nasorg.uk.

Hope that gives you a lot of ressurrance.  

Please ask if we can help with anything.  Some one will know.

A member of our team or a member of our community.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,836 Scope online community team
    Hello @Savlona, it's really good to have you here on the community with us.

My daughter is currently going through the diagnosis process for autism. Like your son, she does really well academically, but emotionally and socially she struggles. Are you getting much support from his school? It's great to hear you are in touch with our Navigate service. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Savlona
    School are doing their best, but resources are limited. We have a variety of strategies in place to get him over the threshold in the morning. He has been insisting he is being bullied but school observations are that sometimes others are unkind but often he misreads or assumes the worst in a given situation. However all involved agree that his anxiety is very real. He does get a weekly one to one session with a learning mentor to help him pick through his concerns, as well as social skills workshops. He could do with therapy, I think, but suitable people are scarce and expensive.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Savlona, how are things going?
    Scope

• Savlona
    Well, I've ordered a DLA form, as I have nothing to lose by applying and I could put  the money towards therapy for him if he qualifies. I'm going to get advice from Sendiass to see if everything that can be put in place has been. Hopefully we will get there.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Fingers crossed @Savlona! If you need anything else then please do let us know. :)
    Scope

Brightness