Three favourite meals that we shouldn't eat but do (occasionally) — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Three favourite meals that we shouldn't eat but do (occasionally)

paffuto10
paffuto10 Community member Posts: 388 Pioneering
  My three favourite "naughty" meals are 

Steak and kidney suet pudding, chips, mushy peas and gravy. 

Bacon butties 

Crumble and custard 

Comments

• Bettahm
    Bettahm Community member Posts: 1,439 Disability Gamechanger
    Not so much naughty meals, but I do eat chocolate and sweets when I should be buying something healthier. And peanut butter & jam sandwiches. They're probably pretty naughty. And too many biscuits.
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    choc ice and chips.....

only joking!

fish n chips
    sticky toffee pudding and custard
    Mississippi mud pie
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
    1) I eat cheese and biscuits almost every night, not even as a main meal but as an extra snack, I really should try to cut that down!!

2) Pork scratchings - a treat I enjoy.

3) Not food but beer, well alcohol in general. I like to have a tipple in the evening. 
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    I have a few downfalls when it comes to food, but my top 3 would be:-
    A roll and square sausage with lots of tomato ketchup on it.
    Any kind of pizza as I would live on pizza if you let me!
    Chips with curry sauce from the chippy - amazing!  :smiley:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • 66Mustang
    Chips with curry sauce forgot about that one!!
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    OMG, I'm going to have to get some now!  :smiley:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • paffuto10
    @Ails
     :D  :D having to get curry sauce and chips now! 

I'm like that with bacon butties! 
    Hubby even had to bring one to me in hospital when I was in labour!  :D 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @paffuto10   Sorry to disappoint you all as recipe king of the community too healthy never eat anything like this. .

Do not what  to say. Appalled shocked really .lol.

Need a lie down one of my pills too much to see every one having naughty meals lol.

Last time I had Fish and Chips was asked how was the Fish . Well it was fresh eaten the Chips, lol.

You all on this seafood diet seems to me.  See food and eat it lol.

Actual fact we need fat in our diets. Peanut Butter is a useful source of protein and is useful but is not a unhealthy snack if taken with whole meal toast.

The problem is trans fats which are manufactured sources of vegetable and animal fats to boost flavour in biscuits, cakes and other foods.

These are known to be harmful and can and not process well in the bodies systems.

I do eat fats but Nuts, Olive Oils and be sensible eating.  Tinned Fish and Mayo sandwich lot healthier need Omega three and six from Tinned Salmon and Mayo .

Just a touch of Mayo and some Salmon in a whole meal bread bun.

Nothing wrong having the odd sugary snack or treat occasionally the problem is concerned the long run.

If eating a tinned pudding or sweet add fruit to it.

I do this myself buy those Muller Rice tubs dice in Apples or Pears low fat ones by the way.

Have Yoghurt after a meal with Fruit topped with Cinnamon or Fennel Seeds or touch of honey just a small amount.

I am not one to be a party pooper just been a obese gentleman.

Ballooned with booze, drugs and food.

Had a Mother who insisted stuffing your face every meal time, till I got to the stage of a weight that was concerning me.

Addiction teaches you about your body and the effects it can have.

My concern, care are the older mature community members who do consume too much alcohol.

Myself just being thoughtful.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2019
    I'm just about there with @thespiceman - I do crave fish & chips, so when my son & daughter took me on holiday the first time, we had some. 2nd holiday last year I had them twice! But this was just on these occasions in the past 2 years.
    I haven't eaten cakes or biscuits for years, & had began to look at my diet when expecting our first child. We then gave her healthy food, & her grandparents later gave her sweets even tho' they knew we didn't want this. We bought her (expensive) carob bars rather than chocolate.
    I eat a healthy diet; if I want chips I cook them in the oven with some celery salt sprinkled on, which enhances the flavour with it's cumin.
    I grow herbs, & lots of different vegetables, lettuce & tomatoes. It's great to just go out into my small garden & get them, & so cheap if grown from seeds!
    I have used wholemeal products for years...bread & pasta. Use wholemeal flour for making sauces. Brown rice, sometimes with wild rice...far more nutritional.
    Black pepper is considered to have anti-inflammatory properties in some conditions such as 'arthritis' too.
    Now my falling from the wayside....I rather like salad cream. The other is Pernod (the only thing that makes my pain manageable). Now you're all going eugh!
    I have the opposite problem to that @thespiceman has experienced, in that I have always been underweight. When my son & I go to get our annual echocardiograms, we have both noticed we're the only slender people there.
    My son-in-law is an alcoholic....I see the awful effects this has on my eldest daughter & probably my 3 wonderful granddaughters, so appreciate thespiceman's considered concern. My son-in-law is hopefully going into rehab next month.

• paffuto10
    @thespiceman

When we ask our son was his chicken nice, he always says "don't know, never met him"  ? 

@chiarieds

Hope you didn't mean pernod and salad cream together?  ? 
  • paffuto10
    @thespiceman

I'm getting to know you quite well now and may I just say how proud I am of you for getting over your addiction. 

Sleep well  :)
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @puffuto10.... no not both together! Salad cream, as tonight in a cheese, tomato, spring  onion & lettuce sarnie; salad cream & mayo with cheese & onion with a jacket potato....any excuse to use salad cream.
  • mrbuttons
    mrbuttons Community member Posts: 221 Pioneering
    Donner kebab and chips
    Fried chicken
    In fact most fast foods like a quarter pounder and large fries.
    Any kind of shell fish. I still crave bacon butties something fierce even though i am not allowed to have them.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Now I am hungry

These are my top 3 meals to eat:

Non spicy pizza 
    Stir fry (non spicy) 
    Salad 
  • Bettahm
    Bettahm Community member Posts: 1,439 Disability Gamechanger
    Spiceman:
    Glad you say peanut butter is good as I eat it every day. Reading all these comments has made me realise I must improve my diet.
  • Tammyjane33
    Tammyjane33 Community member Posts: 765 Pioneering
    Chinese takeaway ? 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    My 3 
    Peanut butter on seeded toast
    Roast lamb with mint sauce , mash , cauliflower cheese , parsnips and yorkshire pudding 
    Toad in hole 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    You guys are making me hungry!  :disappointed:

My three would have to be:
    - Sticky toffee pudding
    - Indian takeaway
    - Pizza
    Scope

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello every one just a thought. Thank you for the meals you all like naughty but nice..

Any one wishes to be creative make something from their list happy to give recipes.

It is always a good idea to make something like Curries or Chinese yourself because you know what is in it.

Then once made into the zip bags or clip bags and ready to use.  When you wish to.

Not difficult.  

In fact the other day TESCO website had an Indian base mix all diced up and ready to use frozen, same with Chinese as well.

Got Onions, Chilli, Herbs, and Ginger. all diced up.

Finding new products is one of the things I do.

Please if I can help lots of cheats, tips and short cuts.

I enjoy cooking am the recipe King but even me have to find ways to make favourite meals.

Do eat this time of year the Legendary Bolognese made this over thirty years. Given my go to favourite meal. If I had to choose.

Or my Meatballs and Chilli Pepper Pasta Sauce.

Or my Chicken Ragu with Red Pepper Chilli sauce with Potatoes.

Those I eat seasonal any way as it best to . Another tip.  Buy ingredients seasonal if you can, adapt your recipes your naughty meals change them .

Never gets boring.

My other favourite naughty meals if you can call them. Are veggie based.

Love Chickpeas and Potato Spinach Curry.

One pot Vegetable Ragu using Aubergines, Zucchini, Peppers good one to have with Chickpeas and Rice with spices.

Spinach Cherry Tomato Pasta with Chilli and Peppers..

Orzo Salad with Sundried Tomatoes, Roasted Peppers.  

Pepper and Chilli Fusilli.

Zucchini and Mushroom  with Penne or Farfalle.

My body mind is a temple lol.

Please take care every one.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • 66Mustang
    Those sound great, thespiceman.

Brightness