OCD and Anxiety — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

OCD and Anxiety

MobileGames
MobileGames Community member Posts: 123 Pioneering
Morning. After reading a link on here to do with the descriptors. I can't stop thinking about the descriptors of pip and thinking about whether the tribunal will think that I don't qualify for any of them at all. They seem so generalised. I manage toilet needs with pads and at MR they agreed that the anxiety causes me incontinence,a paramedic recommended it. I find complex information overwhelming,the sheer amount of it,taking it all in,remembering it,the time factor if anything has to be submitted,but fear that that is not enough because I have a learning difficulty and not a learning disability. Complex signs and symbols I find hard to take in,but again,I have a learning difficulty. Complex budgeting such as bills,I don't understand and can't take it in,but I manage my bank account,so again,just a difficulty. The anxiety gets so much that I find these tasks overwhelming as well. It gets too much and mum has to step in. Form filling,bills,instructions. Engaging with people face to face. In a familiar surrounding,friends,family,even strangers,yes,but unfamiliar surroundings,busy,loud,a lot going on,such as the supermarket,I can't cope. I've tried it and had to leave and sit in dad's car,in tears. It got to the point where I wanted to hit someone,but that's the supermarket or being away from home such as out for the day or on holiday,which causes significant amounts of anxiety to the point of nausea,worrying,checking my watch,anxiety,irritability to the point of shaking and wanting to hit someone. Again,I can be in familiar surroundings,so that won't matter. I can't travel to unfamiliar surroundings on my own,even a few towns away. The lanes,roundabouts,directions confuse me and I get stressed. It's the same with public transport,all the people,will the transport arrive on time? Will it leave on time? Will it break down? How do I get to the place from the bus stop,where is the place? I can't understand the timetables. That,I may stand a chance on. All the others,I don't think so. This is futile. I really don't stand a chance. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,905 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Managing toilet needs, 2 points would be possible here, for the use of an aid.

Reading and understanding signs/words, You won't score any points here because you can't remember things because this isn't considered as part of the descriptor.

Making Budgeting decisions, it will depend what help you need and why you need that help, doesn't matter if you don't receive any help/support. You need to state why you can't make budgeting decisions.

Engaging with others, based on what you say above then 4 points maybe possible for needing social support.

The most important thing is to give real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you. This should be done for your submission.

The Tribunal are a lot more understanding the DWP or the health assessment providers. Are you appearing in person?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • MobileGames
    Thank you. I don't know yet. I'd feel like I'd get too overwhelmed and upset. The whole navigation of the process is overwhelming. It's like an exam. 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @MobileGames   Pleased to meet you.

Please may I make a suggestion. Please consider getting some support with your anxiety and assessment.

I am one of the community champions on the forum, have also mental health issues.

Used these links .

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

https://www.mind.org.uk.

https://www.rethink.org.

Understand what you are going through. Get advice, guidance on your mental health, floating support .

Well being, health and benefits.

Unfortunately might not be in all areas.

Please if I can help further please get in touch.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • MobileGames
    @thespiceman. How are you? Thank you for your concern. I've looked up the 3 websites you gave me,and only mind is in my area. I go to mind once a week and when I asked what services were available,they mentioned ones I had looked into such as voiceability,and when I said that you have to be under the mental health act or getting back into society,they seem surprised! They mentioned welfare rights and I said that they only do the MR stage,not appeals. Again,they seem surprised. I thought they were supposed to know about these services and what they can or can't do? I'm sick of trying to do it myself! I go there for the scrabble,quiz and to see mates,but as far as support,I've had very little. I'm going to ring one of the bigger mind organisations in London. The CAB can only do written representation. I NEED support for the actual tribunal,someone to go with me and help me if my request for a telephone appeal is turned down. It's been 13 days and still waiting to hear. I chased it up last Friday and they haven't looked into yet! I'm fed up of the lack of support. If it wasn't for my folks and the CAB assigning a benefits case worker to write a letter of written representation,I would've given up. I get stressed and lose my train of thought. I went to my local CAB for the MR and the person skimmed through my evidence and put very little,hence the pip decision remained unchanged. I should've asked for another person to help me there and,but was too afraid and had only 2 weeks left to submit it,so was afraid of having to book another appointment and going past the deadline. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,905 Disability Gamechanger
    @MobileGames i'm very surprised to hear that you were told that welfare rights don't help with appeals. They definitely do help and will also represent, providing they are local to you. If they are local to you then they maybe very busy which could be another reason for not helping. May i ask who told you that they don't do appeals?

Do be aware that even with representation you will still need to speak for yourself during the hearing, having representation means they will present your case. Put your postcode into this link to see what's local to you. https://advicelocal.uk/

If you can't get representation, do you have a friend or family member that can go with you on the day of the hearing? You will still need to speak for yourself but having someone with you can help with anxiety etc.

Appearing in person really does give you the best chance of a decision in your favour and if you can attend i really do advise that you do this.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2019
    Hello @MobileGames   Thank you for reply. Sorry to hear this.

First thing I would like to suggest if this is not working your MIND branch make a complaint.

All mental health charities have a duty of care and responsibility.  I do know they are not obviously listening to you.

Speak to the Team Manager. No one than more than my self hate this seeing good members struggling because of lack of concern, care from an organisation.

I am sorry really am, wish I could sometimes just for once people do their role and job but they do not.

I have had experiences of MIND before in my opinion some of the staff are clueless.

I turn up and cause in their words I am a problem not wanted.

So I make it my business to be one.  I retorted.  I just come out of rehab need help and support now.

More interested in going home and me not being there.

I know not all charities all are the same. Sorry if Richmond fellowship is not in your area.

Unfortunately the budgets, the funding is been cut and some charities have to make choices.

I have attended Mental Health conferences and the main aspects of mental health. Are lack of funding, staff, minimal wages not enough time and also the worrying one for me.

Lots more clientele but under representation of services in some areas.

In my own life time moved five times to get help, services.

One of the main points may I add is unfortunately in many organisations they say to you need to be aware of . Is the staff do not run your life for you.  

They will tell you a care plan discuss this with you, up to you to comply.  Part of any contract with any charity is limited time.

Many staff have numerous clientele per week or fortnight this happened to me myself. My support once a fortnight.

Emails, texts every week, often late at night or early morning. Last floating support had fifteen clientele .

I recognise that must add also need guidance, advice and it is difficult to cope with but there is hope out there. Positivity.

I do think they should be helping you much sadness if they do not.

I do also think look on line see what other organisation are in your areas.

Could be small ones local to you.

Please do complain speak to Managers whether London or local.  Need to know not happy.

Please can add one further point I am here anytime. Please ask me anything, if I can help happy to be supportive.

RETHINK are not in your area also sorry to hear that. Could use them to kick up the bum some of these services.

I did works wonder.

NHS website have a look anything like that in your area. Advocate services might again be something local.

I apologise and am really sorry what you have been through. CAB not good to hear at all.

Please take care pleasure to meet you. Keep in touch, keep safe and warm.

I always have care concern have compassion and empathy.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.