Medical assessment during pregnancy — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Medical assessment during pregnancy

beckbail
beckbail Community member Posts: 37 Connected
edited October 2019 in Universal Credit (UC)
Just a bit of advice or to see if anyone has been through the same.... I'm 30+2 weeks pregnant and I'm on universal credit, during my pregnancy I have had bleeds and they said it was caused due to stress and anxiety and the Drs gave me a sick note (the job centre advised me to get these) however two weeks ago I received a questionnaire to fill in from dwp to see if my condition stopped me working or looking for work so I've filled this in explained that I was at that time 29 weeks and that the uc said I no longer had to look for work due to being in the 11 weeks left of my pregnancy stage. I've received a letter today saying I have to go for a medical assessment to see if I'm fit for work or not. Sorry for the long post just wondering if anyone had the same. that they haven't even read what I've filled in

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2019
    Hi @beckbail, I can see how frustrating this must be!

Because you've been handing in fit notes it'll have automatically triggered WCA. You can claim ESA/LCWRA for pregnancy-related illness, so going through the assessment isn't necessarily a bad thing. However, with you being past 29 weeks, it means you don't have to work anyway.

It does seem odd but unfortunately they are right.
    Scope

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @beckbail

Welcome to Scope. Have you contacted Citizen's Advice or not? They should be able to help you. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,342 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @beckbail

Welcome to Scope. Have you contacted Citizen's Advice or not? They should be able to help you. 
    No need to contact them because they can't give anymore advice than @Chloe_Scope has given.

If @beckbail doesn't attend the assessment then they will be found fit for work for failing to attend., which wouldn't matter because they are already placed into the no work requirements group.   The only advantage to attending the assessment is if they are given LCWRA and this will mean an extra £336 per month from the 4th month of their claim from when they sent in their first fit note. Whether they would be placed into this group will totally depend on how their conditions affect them.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • beckbail
    Thank you all for the replies. So basically I go to the assessment explain what's been going on etc. They will be able to tell that I am pregnant and uc has turned off all commitments that involved looking for work. I didn't realise that I could also receive extra payments would they automatically do this
  • poppy123456
    Evidence would be needed to support your claim and should state how your conditions affect your ability to do any type of work. Being pregnant may not automatically award you LCWRA. No, it's not automatically paid, once the assessment has been completed a report will be returned to DWP and a decision will be made on your claim.

It's makes no difference at the moment because you're already in the no work requirements group.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • beckbail
    To be honest with you im not really bothered about any extra amounts as my health and my babies is more important I'm just terrified about going to these things. Thank you so much @poppy123456 for your help we were just worried the whole of our uc would stop 
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome. No, your who UC would not stop. The only issue you may have is that if you don't attend the assessment you will be found fit for work for failing to attend and this could affect any future claims you may have for limited capability for work and if this is needed anytime in the future you may have problems. It maybe worth your while attending the assessment because you really have nothing to lose because you're already in the no work requirements group.

The only thing that could happen is that you could be awarded LCWRA and that's extra money but of course there's no guarantee this will be the decision but your UC payments definitely won't stop.
  • beckbail
    @poppy123456 brilliant. So pleased to hear this as I was getting myself worked up about it all but you have really put my mind at ease on this. Thanks again really appreciate your help
  • poppy123456
    No problem at all! Oh and congratulations on the baby and good luck for the birth too!
  • beckbail
    Thank you it's getting closer and closer and I'm getting more and more scared ha
  • poppy123456
    I can totally understand that, i have 3 children myself, all grown up now. I don't know anyone that wouldn't be scared but once you have your baby in your arms you'll forget it all.
  • Chloe_Scope
    I'm glad we could clear this up @beckbail! I hope the appointment goes okay! :)
    Scope

• beckbail
    Hi @poppy123456 & @Chloe_Scope... I have been for my medical assessment today and the lady who was doing it was brilliant she was very compassionate and everything I literally couldn't fault her, she's basically putting down for the decision makers that I have high risk pregnancy also gestational diabetes. I'm just wondering can you actually get the LCWRA for this. Thanks in advance
  • poppy123456
    I'm glad it went well. I'm afraid we couldn't speculate what the decision maybe at this stage. All you can do is wait a week and request a copy of the assessment report by ringing DWP. Once you receive this you'll have some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the report. Once a decision's been made it will be uploaded onto your journal. Good luck.
  • beckbail
    Thank you so much for your reply @poppy123456 your help has been really appreciated throughout all of this
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @beckbail, I'm so glad it went well! That must be a massive weight off your shoulder! Wish you the best of luck!
    Scope

• beckbail
    @Chloe_Scope aww it really is and I'm so pleased the lady was really nice actually felt she cared if that make sense. Thank you 
  • beckbail
    Hi just an update on my medical assessment. I've received a letter on my journal to say they have awarded me LCWRA, does this mean the extra payments on my universal credit.. I sent my first fit note in on the 12th August and I know it starts 3 month after that date is this correct. Thank you in advance 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    edited November 2019
    Hello @beckbail, that's great news they've placed you in LCWRA. 
    Do you know what your assessment periods are? It's 3 full assessment periods before the additional money for LCWRA begins and then as UC is paid in arrears, it'll be paid at the end of the fourth month. 
    If you know when your assessment periods are (they should be stated on your online account), I can help you calculate when you'll receive your first LCWRA payment.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • beckbail
    Hi @Adrian_Scope it just says on the letter any payments I receive will be after 3 month from when I sent in my first fit note which was the 12th August 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.