so sad tonight — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

so sad tonight

Options
woodbine
woodbine Community member Posts: 11,618 Disability Gamechanger
Have just been told that my dad who is 86 is now to receive "end of life care", we lost mum 3 years ago and I know he will be pleased to join her, odd really as he's an atheist, so it looks like at the age of 60 I'm about to become an orphan. Its such a shame that we are losing his generation, worked from 15 til he retired did his national service, was a loving caring compassionate father and was besotted with mum for over 60 years of happily married life.
I will miss him.
2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    So sorry to hear this @woodbine Thinking of you ❤
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Pennywren
    Pennywren Community member Posts: 17 Courageous
    Options
    Hugs x that hard place to be xx try to give urself room to feel what you going to feel and don't be hard on yourself xxx
  • exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering
    Options
    @Woodbine    So very sad to read your post, words are never enough. 60+ years together is a remarkable achievement.  Do you have any siblings for support?  Thinking of you.

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It's so lovely to read about your wonderful parents. Are you able to talk to your Dad? When my Dad was close to the end of his life he was no longer responding to me, & it was awful. One evening I was told he was worse, & I should see him. He spoke again to me; I sadly said it was OK to go & be with my Mum, & others we had lost. I felt like he needed to have my permission to leave me & he even smiled. He died that night.
    If you can talk to your Dad, treasure such moments.
  • exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering
    Options
    chiarieds said:
    It's so lovely to read about your wonderful parents. Are you able to talk to your Dad? When my Dad was close to the end of his life he was no longer responding to me, & it was awful. One evening I was told he was worse, & I should see him. He spoke again to me; I sadly said it was OK to go & be with my Mum, & others we had lost. I felt like he needed to have my permission to leave me & he even smiled. He died that night.
    If you can talk to your Dad, treasure such moments.

That was so like when my sister passed on at the age of only 50.  My nephew said "Mum, it's time to stop fighting now".   She smiled and died.

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,003 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @woodbine i'm so sorry to hear this! My thoughts are with you and your family. Best wishes!
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @woodbine   My friend very sorry to hear this.  My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Please get in touch if wish to have a chat or need some one to listen, your a valued member of our community and respected by every one.

Thinking of you.

Please take care.

Your friend

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,618 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thank you all for your kind and supportive words they mean so much, I have a feeling its going to be a desperate few days but I do have a brother and my wonderful wife and our two adult kids, but its often easier to pour your heart out to people you don't know well.
    Thanks x
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    I'm really sorry to hear this @woodbine
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

It is always a difficult time for those of us left behind. Try to celebrate your fathers wonderful life None of us know what comes next so try to look at it as though he is about to start a new adventure.
    Our thoughts and prayers are with you all

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @woodbine, really sorry to hear this. Thinking of you.
    Scope

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    woodbine said:ye, your dad hasn't gone yet. Enjoy I'm now and save the eulogy for after.
    Have just been told that my dad who is 86 is now to receive "end of life care", we lost mum 3 years ago and I know he will be pleased to join her, odd really as he's an atheist, so it looks like at the age of 60 I'm about to become an orphan. Its such a shame that we are losing his generation, worked from 15 til he retired did his national service, was a loving caring compassionate father and was besotted with mum for over 60 years of happily married life.
    I will miss him.
    Ay, your dear dad is still here, so enjoy him as much as you can. Is he aware of your presence?
    I became an orphan at 48....still hurts after 18 years.
    Treasure his last little bit of time.
  • Tammyjane33
    Tammyjane33 Community member Posts: 765 Pioneering
    Options
    @woodbine I am so sorry to hear the sad news about your dad. I know how that feels I lost my dad 8 years ago. 
    I'm here if you need to talk /need a friend
    Take care ❤️

Brightness