Who has trouble sleeping? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Who has trouble sleeping?

Tammyjane33
Tammyjane33 Community member Posts: 765 Pioneering
Even though I take meds and sleeping pills they don't seem to help 

Comments

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Yep, I do.  It's ridiculous as I live with chronic fatigue and can barely keep my eyes open or walk from one room to another in the evening but get in to bed and just can't switch off, my mind starts racing, intrusive thoughts keep popping up from weeks, month and years previously, and it's hard to stop with no distractions other than the radio.

I also find my digestive system switches into over-drive at night so I struggle with nausea and reflux, and near constant gurgling and shifting both top and bottom ends most nights. Plus uncontrollable shaking and sweating and light headedness etc around once or twice a week on average.  I don't know how much of that is normal, and how much is being caused or magnified by my health anxiety.  Then on those nights, about an hour or so in bed I'll feel so desperate that I'll need to get up and go to the loo despite making sure I've been twice before bed, and not drinking anything after 8pm...  I always feel really nauseous when I get up for a wee so try to avoid it as much as possible, not sure what more I can do though!  I should also add I don't drink any alcohol, caffeine, fizzy or sugary drinks at all, only ever water.

It's got to the point now where I'm scared to go to bed and frequently have panic symptoms start around 11pm, but have no choice but to try and go to bed due partly to the fatigue and partly because I can't cope with change at all...I've tried staying in a recliner chair instead or even going to bed later but both of those caused even more anxiety!

Last night was a bad one unfortunately so it's all still fresh in my mind...  I don't use phone or laptop in the evening (I get fuzzy vision with the fatigue so can't focus on any text anyway), just try and watch some 'easy' TV for the last hour or two before bed to relax, comedy ideally but travel docs or similar too, just something without any potential anxiety triggers.

Sorry that's turned into a bit of a novel but I really would like to know how other people deal with insomnia!  I don't want to risk any sleeping medication either as I'm worried about them being too effective and soiling the bed instead.  
  • Seanchai
    Seanchai Community member Posts: 411 Pioneering
    I have various health problem but my tinnitus is the one that stops me getting a sleep . When my very loud ( sounds like a jet engine just before take off) tinnitus first started i never slept for three days and nights ...i was in a bad way , i never realised just how bad i was but my wife went to the doctor with me ....he advised sleeping tablets and anxiety /depression tablets .... i take these at night , w few hours later and i am out to the world ....just for a few hours but at least i can deal with tiredness now . Sometimes i do not get to sleep until the early hours ...but i eventually sleep takes over me . Of course the first thing i hear when i awake is that damn jet engine ....( another way to describe that constant noise is like standing under a massive fountain in the jungle ) ..i have tried everything possible for tinnintus ...but i,m afraid nothing works . The tinnitus is only in my right ear but it also robbed me of hearing in that ear , i have menieres as well and use bluetooth ( crossover) hearing aids and that allows me to hear a bit in my left ear . I would advise you to see your doc about sleeping ( or your lack of it) its hard to face the day ahead without having a bit of sleep , so please go to your doctor and have a word with him .
  • exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering
    I find that if I have my last drink maybe about an hour before going to bed I can generally drop off to sleep fairly quickly, but I have to wrap myself up like into a cocoon.  Must keep hands and feet warm plus pull a sheet up over the back of my head.  Anything to keep myself well insulated when the nights are cooler.  Listening to classical music on an ultra-low volume on my Kindle under my pillow also helps.  Trying to clear problems out of my head helps to relax too although that's sometimes easier said than done.

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• M_Anthony
    M_Anthony Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 309 Pioneering
    Has anyone tried Cognitive behavioural therapy? It may be worth talking to your doctor about.

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    I take a sleeping tablet which does help me go to sleep, but not with actual sleeping. If I'm really struggling to get to sleep, then I ask for the window to be slightly open or the fan to be on the lower setting to make my body cool, but not cold cold, just cool enough until I need to be covered in my duvet or blanket. Being cosy and warm then sends me to sleep.
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    I take amitriptyline at 9pm...it can make me drowsy.

Sometimes I fall asleep before tablet time then it takes ages to get back to sleep.

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Sleeping is something I've always found difficult because of pain or simply not being able to stay asleep. It's very frustrating when you know you really need to rest.
    Scope

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Tammyjane33   Sorry you having problem sleeping.

Please if I can suggest a few things. Mainly diet and nutritional.

Also make sleep a priority schedule it and plan it.

Insomnia is a difficult condition to manage and it does need addressing is this a problem.

My own circumstances right now have new meds so effecting sleep but know how to address this.

I would also suggest talking of diet and wellbeing.

Do the following may be useful.

Eat a healthy balanced diet plenty of Pulses, Whole grains and Vegetables. Not too close to bedtime.

Lean Meat, Chicken, Turkey.

Pasta or Potatoes if you ever had a Pasta salad lunch or a Potato one makes you sleepy.  So use them at night time.

Anything spicy or heavy the systems body can not adjust also eat nothing a snack or nothing before bedtimes.

Disturbed  sleep. can happen. So can I know this myself computer, Tv and the bright screen the brain  is till functioning needs to wind down switch off.

Most meds and certain conditions can be effected sleep. Those anti depressants, certain ones  like Sertraline and those certain drugs at night anti depressants like Mirtazapine used take on a night time two hours before bedtime.

Sometimes foods contained tryptophan an enzyme on milk whole grain bread and other aspects of foods are used to aid restful sleep.

What happens when we sleep is the stages of going to sleep that you need to recognise and be aware of.

If you set a schedule your ideal time will know. 

If you go to bed around 10pm takes around forty minutes to an hour before the brain goes in REM stage then deep sleep.

Could be 11pm to midnight before the body decides to sleep .

Rapid Eye Movement this happens we close our eyes and this the rapid movements of the eyes after around thirty to forty minutes.

Deep sleep can be effected by a number of factors, the room you have, is it too dark or too light. Too warm too hot too cold.

In my own circumstances being an alcoholic my hours were night times days and days night times.

Called Numbertal lifestyle. 

Had to go to a clinic to re adjust the sleep patterns. Also the mental health charities do a lot on sleep. Because many meds, anxiety, mental health conditions effect sleep.

Including pain and restless legs.

Please if I can further use music chill out. Turn off all electrical. Meditate in a quiet room .

Have warm not hot milky drinks laced with honey, eat something sensible and nutritional.

Late night pizzas do not work or remove caffeine in cola, chocolate, coffee and tea.

Caffeine is a stimulant effects sleep patterns.

As is alcohol, never works.

Hope that helps.

Please if you are concerned speak to your GP.  Happy to be supportive .

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Reading helps. So does vigorous hard exercise. I avoid naps and instead keep my mind occupied. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes, i can relate to the not being able to sleep. I have no problems falling asleep but for me, i can't stay asleep, which is very frustrating. I wake up several times a night and often lay in bed awake with my cat for company next to me. Then usually he'll wake me up about 5am scratching something, i swear he's telling me it's time to get up now lol. He's so cheeky.

I tried sleeping tablets but they didn't work for me so stopped taking them a long time ago.

Vigorous hard exercise is not something i would even think of doing. Having experienced severe pain for several years through out the whole of my body, one thing i stay well away from is this.

I find myself napping several times a day, with the evenings being the worst time. To try to stay away is the most difficult thing and i usually miss the end of a program i'm trying to watch on the TV, so annoying. Now i record most things, so at least i can start again lol.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2019
    Hello @April2018mom   You mentioned physical exercise not if it is close to bed time.

Sorry have to tell you been to Sleep clinics and had professional medical help. 

Reason is the mind is active and some one who used to do this. Coming home from a gym, late evening.

Thought might help me get to sleep the mind is so over active takes ages to sleep.  Discussed this with Doctor and Mental Health support advisors in the charity I used to belong to.

Something I would consider looking at.

Best one of course is bedtime Olympics lol. Sorry just being a polite gentleman this time of the morning.

As many of us are not in relationships do not have that pleasure . Lucky you if you are  lol...

Things like housework and healthy eating contribute.

I am not perfect have issues like every one does much education and knowledge does help.

Got my references guides from the charities . This morning written brief notes so many pages.

The following may be useful to all my wonderful friends and those of the community.

Briefly

Do not do Insomnia.

Do not nap.

Take Tea, Coffee or alcohol excessive amounts are stimulants close to bedtime.

Chocolate drinks can contain cafffeine ..Caffeine is the problems.

No smoking.

Don't do over stimulate mind and do things like exercise, crosswords.  Or talking a heavy discussions chats .  

Don't eat heavy, spicy foods or those with ingredients intend to repeat, containing Onions, Garlic and those junk foods.  Close to bedtime.

Also eat a good meal but two hours before bedtime add that not go to bed with out eating.

Don't look a the clock all the time cannot sleep get up and wander about. Have a listen to music.

Find something relaxing anxiety worries write them down.

Eat whole meal toast with honey, or oat biscuits.

The one I am always doing coming on here. My excuse miss my friends . 

I am lonely old gentleman some times on a night time.   Never used to had friendships and relationships.

Not easy as any of us who are singletons and still a babe lol.

Those with the following conditions sorry to say.  Anxiety, Depression, Obesity, Pain and Restless legs are going to experience sleep problems and issues.

As I am in one of the groups my heart is for those with these problems.

The Do's of Sleep this again briefly .

Anxieties worries out of the bedroom, we all been there the bills, family and friends. Little things.

Do make your bedroom comfortable a place for bedtime, sleep no TV  laptops or electrical devices.

Mobile phones but do not use it or look at it.

I am guilty of this but use it as emergency, have these fears, insecurities.

Have a warm bath, meditation, hypnotherapy imagine you on a beach my one I use.

Do get up normal time. 

Hope that helps any one.

Thank you.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Tammyjane33
    Tammyjane33 Community member Posts: 765 Pioneering
    @OverlyAnxious hi sorry for the late reply. I suffer with insomnia too from having steroid treatment over a long period of time. I know how you feel. If you need to talk my inbox is open. 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi everyone - I've been posting the following to someone in acute pain, so thought worth copying it here hoping it might help.
    Re-learn how to breathe like a baby. As you breathe in, let your abdomen gently rise, as you exhale you abdomen goes down again.
    This is diaphragmatic breathing, which is the correct way to breathe, & as adults we often don't do this. See: https://www.guysandstthomas.nhs.uk/resources/patient-information/therapies/abdominal-breathing.pdf
    One exercise to do at bedtime.

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    I take 19 different tablets at bed time enough to knock a large horse out but some nights I struggle to get to sleep, so if after 20 minutes I'm not asleep I get up make myself a drink, then after about 15 minutes I go back to bed and with minutes i'm zzzzzzzz
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Tammyjane33 (and everyone) how have you been sleeping recently?
    Scope

• mrbuttons
    mrbuttons Community member Posts: 221 Pioneering
    edited December 2019
    I dont sleep well at all. This week i havent fallen asleep before 6am. Then i sleep in short spells until about 4pm. When a very patient cat wakes me up to feed him.
    I take prescribed meds but they are not specifically for sleep they are anti depressants that make you sleepy and put on weight, amitrytiline ( wow insomnia and weight problems, oh the joy :'( !.)
     The only pills guarenteed to give me a good nights sleep (zopiclone) are only recommended for very, very short term use because they have been linked to early onset dementia my gp wont prescribe them any more.which i just have to accept. Its disappointing and frustrating that the things that work are illegal or unsafe.

Im terms of alternatives, some vigarous ladies and gentlemans excercise always worked, but those days are gone.

I have a routine. I have a warm bath with lavender oil and take my pills around 9pm i am actually in bed by 9.45 and thats when things get silly. I start feeling hungry so have to eat something but a combination of pain and anxiety stops me from sleeping. I listen to audio books or relaxing music but my brain wont switch off, even after a warm milky drink.

There is nothing worse than being unable to sleep for long periods of time.once i went 21consecutive days without a good sleep due to stress. I was a complete wreck.
    Luckily i am not working and only myself and the cat to be responsible for so i can catch up on sleep during the day.
    Its been like this for at least 25yrs. I dont know how i was able to work full time with these sleep problems. No wonder i have chronic pain if i cant get a decent nights sleep.
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    Sleep is a dread for me. On medication for insomnia but as I’m going through the pip journey again, it’s a nightmare. Sleeping meds at 10, 11 bed, wake at 1,3,5 then when I get up at 7 im exhausted. My mind doesn’t switch off ?
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    I can normally fall asleep okay, but don't get the quality of sleep as this is apparently when my legs decide to try and run a marathon, the sleep clinic did say that while I did sleep my mind was constantly being disturbed. 

My daughter finally decided to get herself a weighted blanket. Once she got used to the weight, a couple of evenings, she says she is finding it much easier to go to sleep and stay asleep. I am now seriously considering buying one as well.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    I did last night....chuffin back still hurting from that TOTO torture instrument! And my right foot is acting up...sore heel.....hoping my Liverpool jaunt will sort it out!
  • Kismet_anya
    Kismet_anya Community member Posts: 12 Connected
    Yes because of chronic pain and restless legs. I can only sleep with quite a large amount of oramorph ??‍♀️ I've struggled with sleep ever since I became mentally ill in 2015 but my anti psychotic would knock me out eventually. Now I'm better mentally it's my physical illnesses which keep me awake. I spend a lot of the night reading until I start nodding off, usually around 5 am. It's a pain in the butt not being able to sleep and my heart goes out to anyone with the same x

Brightness