How long for medical results? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How long for medical results?

mumelaine63
mumelaine63 Community member Posts: 35 Listener
edited November 2019 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi all we are claiming uc and my husband has copd found when he caught pneumonia in March 2018 they then found a shadow on his lung, not cancer, but they are not sure what it is so having scans every 6 months. He was sent to a job involving chemicals so had to finish and has been putting fit notes in since June 2019 he has been for the medical after filling in the form , medical was 19 th September anyone know how long he has to wait for results, his copd has gone up a stage in 8 months and he’s just turned 62. Sorry for long story x

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @mumelaine63   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing. Sorry to hear this.  Please do not apologise for contacting us and it is OK talk about  anything we can help with.

I am one of the team of community champions. We guide, advise and help members of our community.

Please can I ask have you contacted the DWP.  You can contact them and they will give you an update what is happening to your case.

There are backlogs of medical assessments and results sorry to tell you. Depends the area you are from, I know it is a stressful time.

Please if we can help further please get in touch.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • mumelaine63
    Thanks do you have a number for dwp please?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

As my friend @thespiceman said, there are backlogs in most areas. There's no timescales for any decision. Have you asked for a copy of the assessment report? This will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the report. As you're claiming UC then you can put a note on your journal asking for a copy of that to be sent to you.

If your partner prefers to ring then the number is 0800 328 5644.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @mumelaine63! I hope @poppy123456 and @thespiceman have been able to help. If you have any further questions then please do let me know. I hope you don't have to wait much longer and all the best to you and your husband. :)
    Scope

• mumelaine63
    Sorry posted on wrong one. We posted a note asking for copy of report on uc journal, just received message back saying as soon as it’s returned from assessor they will post it for us 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Glad to hear this @mumelaine63! It shouldn't take too long to arrive. :)
    Scope

• mumelaine63
    Just been sent this message‘can’t see any decision been returned , the health assessment team send report to uc that goes to decision maker they will notify you via journal ‘
  • poppy123456
    As the report has now been returned you'll need to wait for a decision maker to look at the report and evidence and make a decision. There's no timescales for how long this will take but it could be anything up to 8 weeks, sometimes longer. Once the decision's been made the letter will be uploaded onto your journal.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • mumelaine63
    we well it’s now been 11 weeks and my husband has just had a message on his universal credit journal they are ringing him on the 11 December to see how he is doing looking for a job, they haven’t received anything back about his health assessment yet but he keeps sending in fit notes due to his health, which is bad because of the cold weather.
  • poppy123456
    I'm sorry to hear his condition isn't good. Unfortunately there's no timescales for decisions and yes he will need to continue to send those fit notes until the decision's been made.

Did he request a copy of the assessment report like i advised?
  • mumelaine63
    Yes we did was told they couldn’t see any decisions being returned and that was 8 weeks after he had been
  • poppy123456
    I'm not sure what you mean by "they can't see any decisions being returned" no decision will be returned from the health assessment providers. They will send back the work capability assessment report with recommendations in it. Then a decision maker will take a look and make a decision on his claim. This report is called the UC85.

If the report hasn't been returned then it's very likely that it's been sent to audit, if this has happened it will significantly delay the decision making process because a decision can't be made until it's been returned.

My advice would be to ring UC again and ask for the UC85 report. If they tell you it's not yet been returned then give the health assessment providers a ring and ask them what's going on with the assessment report. If it's in audit they will tell you.

Your husband will need to ring them if you're not his appointee.
  • mumelaine63
    we sent a message to uc about the uc85 report they sent a message back they don’t receive report it will be put on journal but they have sent a query about the length of time of report
  • poppy123456
    There’s always a report written by a health assessment provider, I’m afraid that information you’ve been given is incorrect. If they haven’t received it then it’s very likely been sent to audit. 
  • mumelaine63
    Well I just rang the medical assessment they sent the results off the same day (19th September) so put me through to universal credit they can see it was received same day but it gets looked at by date so maybe a while yet!!!!! It’s already been 12 weeks !
  • poppy123456
    Unfortunately, backlogs cause delays and there's no timescales for decisions. Hopefully not too much longer. The report will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be.
  • mumelaine63
    We will find out the decision on universal credit account won’t see report until then
  • poppy123456
    We will find out the decision on universal credit account won’t see report until then

Is that because they've refused to send it or because your husband's decided not to request it?
  • mumelaine63
    we we have requested it but was told they don’t have it yet we rang where he dad medical assessment they said it was sent same day put us through to universal credit who looked and told us it had been received on 19th September but waiting to be seen will be seen in date order could be a while yet and we would see results first on journal
  • poppy123456
    As they now have the report then if he wants a copy i'd advise ringing again to request it to be sent to you. The report will not be put on your journal, it's sent as a paper copy and can be sent before the decision's made. Once you receive it you'll be able to have some idea what the decision's likely to be because they usually go with the report.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.