Not paid UC and keep getting fobbed off — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Not paid UC and keep getting fobbed off

Josh19
Josh19 Community member Posts: 13 Listener
edited December 2019 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi I'm my 19 year old son with autism adhd epilepsy and high anxiety appointee we've done everything needed for his universal credit he was due his first payment 10th December nothing I've called to find out the issue about 6 times they say they haven't received from the home visit to discuss his ID that visit was over a month ago I keep getting fobbed off.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

May i ask if your son is a student?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @Josh19. How frustrating! So after you put in the initial claim, they sent representatives to your house for the ID appointment but are now saying you haven't had it? Have I understood that correctly?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Josh19
    No he's not a student. And yes that's correct nothing from the home visit its been over a month. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    edited December 2019
    Hi @Josh19. Was it recorded on his journal that he had the home visit appointment? If you scroll back can you see any mention of ID appointments?
    You'll need to request that his Case Manager calls the Home Visit Team and asks for the information from them. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Josh19
    No it wasn't but that's what I've done that's where I'm up to with them calling them at 5.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Best of luck @Josh19. Let me know how you get on.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Josh19
    I was on hold in the queue for 2 hours then they hung up on me this is not fair on my son is he entitled to loan from universal credit if yes how do we go about that please help I'm thinking of calling the echo at this rate. 
  • Joanne_Alumni
    Joanne_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 188 Pioneering
    Hi @josh19,
    I am so sorry that you are struggling to get UC sorted out for your son.
    It sounds like you have reached the point where you should make a complaint to the DWP. This is best done in writing and the address is on the DWP complaints procedure  information on Gov.UK.
    This is a complaint about the process rather than the award itself.
    It might also contacting your local MP as they will often and intervene to find out what is causing delays.
    I hope you managed to get this resolved soon.
    Joanne 
    Scope
  • Josh19
    Got in touch with uni credit and they've said they've got his report now and now I have to go to a commitment meeting as his appointee I am worried there gonna use another excuse not to him Friday I don't know much about this meeting I wish I had someone going with me. 
  • Josh19
    To pay him Friday I ment
  • poppy123456
    It will be a work focused interview for you to agree to his claimant commitment. Unfortunately, a fit note from a GP doesn't automatically entitle him to LCW, so what his commitments will be will depend on his work coach.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Josh19
    He's not gonna be working he doesn't function in the outside world he dosent know how to his anxiety will kick in and basically he has a helper to help him but all theyve been able to do is get him to tidy his room he hasn't ventured outside the front door since we moved here 3 years ago he also has ptsd he couldn't go to the corner shop to get some milk and he dosent know how to be with other people in the real world he dosent like being with new people dosent like wearing clothes it irritates him. So no work not for at least 5 years. 
  • poppy123456
    The work focused interview will just be for his claimant commitment agreement. Have you sent a fit note from his GP? if you haven't then this will be needed to start the limited capability for work process off. Then you'll need to continue to send them until a decision's been made on his limited capability for work.

Once the fit note has been sent he will be referred for work capability assessment in about 29 days but it may take longer than this, as it often does.  Once he's been referred you'll be sent a work capability assessment form to fill in and return with all your evidence to support his claim.

Once this has been returned he'll most likely have to attend a face to face work capability assessment (similar to PIP) but with different criteria. Once a decision's been made on that he'll either be given limited capability for work or limited capability for work related activity or he'll be found fit for work, only a decision maker can decide this. Until then, i'm afraid a fit note doesn't automatically entitle him to limited capability for work. More information here https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/Universal_Credit_Work_Capability_Assessment

Have you checked his online journal? If there's no payment details on there then it's unlikely that he'll receive any money on Friday.

• Josh19
    Can't get on to his uni credit online it says case closed and got no new info but when I called his case worker at uni credit they said case has never been closed and that ask them at the job center to sort the problem then sign I agree with everything then they will give him his money on Friday for uni credit if not I can get a loan for josh that day? 
  • poppy123456
    If he doesn't receive any payment on Friday you'll need to ask when you attend the appointment. It maybe possible to apply for a loan but if you do this then please be aware that it will need to be repaid back from future UC payments, which will reduce the amount he receives each month until it's paid back. As he's under 25 then his monthly amount will be £251.77 standard allowance.
  • poppy123456
    Have you sent a sick/fit note in from his GP? if you haven't then you will need to see his GP for this.
  • Josh19
    I've got my fit note to take into the meeting and I now have someone coming in with me the meeting my sons benefit adviser refered to by his social worker. So hopefully we ain't leaving with out joshs money or will have no electric or gas for Christmas. 
  • poppy123456
    The fit note will need to be in your son's name not yours, as you referred to it as "your" fit note.

As previously advised, if your son's money doesn't go into the bank on Friday morning then you'll need to request the advance payment during the interview on Friday, this will need to be repaid back from future UC payments which will reduce the amount he's entitled to.

May i also ask if you're claiming any benefits for yourself? or do you work? as you mention without your son's money you will be without gas/electric over Christmas.
  • Josh19
    I Don't work I'm his carer and fit note is in his name and my other half works that's why we get no help but his wages only cover our bills and a little left over so losing joshs child benefit and tax credit and his child maintenance haa screwed us big time. 
  • Josh19
    We suffer a lot to finance josh and his needs I some times don't have enough for food for myself I just concentrate on my family. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.