How have people got on with the transfer from DLA to PIP? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How have people got on with the transfer from DLA to PIP?

JRP
JRP Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited October 2016 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Just wondering how others have got on with the transfer from DLA to PIP...had indefinite award for mobility and care - higher one on both and got PIP forms through and trying to muddle my way through. Anyone got any advice please? Only got 2 weeks to complete:/

Comments

• julierose
    julierose Community member Posts: 23 Connected
    just make sure you gather a stack of evidence from all areas can ...i too was on same now lost it all ...good luck ,i hope all works out right and fair for you .
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hi @JRP,

If you're not able to complete the forms in time you can ask for an extension and they usually allow an extra two weeks but they may allow longer if you're waiting for an appointment at a local advice service for help with the forms. As long as you contact them and let them know it shouldn't be a problem.

Filling in the form is a crucial part of the process and it's important to be as thorough as you can and provide as much evidence as you can get.

You might find it helpful to look at Disability Rights UK's PIP Guide to making a claim. It's really good at explaining the whole process.

If you think you might need help with the form filling check our Services Directory to see if there are any local advice and information services near you. You can also get help from your local CAB.
    Some local council's have welfare rights teams which can help with benefits so it's worth checking with your council too.

If you need any further advice let me know.

Best wishes
    Debbie
  • burton65
    burton65 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
  • JRP
    JRP Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi all, thanks for your help. I've asked PIP for an extension and they've agreed two more weeks. Have rang my local CRT to ask for their help too. Rang my local Disability Solutions team but they're up to their eyes with PIP forms already. Fingers crossed it'll be okay. 
    Best wishes 
  • nanof6
    nanof6 Community member Posts: 200 Pioneering
    JRP,hi, i went from DLA to PIP i filled the forms in in march and got first payment of pip the end of september,they payed dla up till then, but try to get any letters from hospital ot, dr, and send coppies with the form, also from what i read a lot of them can be a bit disonist with the truth, so if you can record your interview, you have to have 2 devices, copy what is said, so there is no lies comming from them.  good luck,
  • Collette Vipond
    Collette Vipond Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    My DLA was stopped on the 2nd of December 2015 when my first PIP application was declined. I have applied for PIP a number of time since then, I have finally had a letter from DWP confirming that I will be awarded PIP from 28 September 2016 to be paid one month in arrears expected payment on 27 October 2016.

In my Social Worker's opinion I was and still am entitled to disability benefit payments during all the time that none was paid.  In my Social Worker's opinion the DWP should pay to all the payment installments that have been missed at the earliest opportunity.

Please provide assistance in this matter.
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    HI @Collette Vipond

Sorry to hear this. What reason was given for the first PIP application being declined? When you received this decision, did you ask for a Mandatory Reconsideration? How many times since then have you applied for PIP?

I'm interested to learn more about to this to see if I can identify your appeal rights. I need a lot more information from you in order to work this out. If you don't want to share this information on the community you can get in touch with me at the helpline, call 0808 800 3333 or send an email to helpline@scope.org.uk

Many thanks
    Debbie
  • JoanneMontgomery
    JoanneMontgomery Community member Posts: 9 Connected
    Hi Nanof6 you are the first person I've heard of who was able to transfer straight from DLA to PIP like that without any problems or appeals?  That really gives me a little bit of hope that it can happen!  Thank you for posting and the advice.  I'm just waiting for my forms to arrive!  Congratulations. 
  • paulfoel
    paulfoel Community member Posts: 15 Connected
    After TWO years finally got awarded DLA by tribunal. They awarded from Dec 2017 to Dec 2020. Trouble is son turned 16 in October 2019 (before it was all sorted).

DWP have paid backdated from Dec 2017 to Oct 2019 but thats it. Should I have applied for PIP in October or do we have some leeway due to the tribunal decision? Seems a bit unfair if we've missed a few months now since DLA wasnt even sorted back in october.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,349 Disability Gamechanger
    paulfoel said:
    After TWO years finally got awarded DLA by tribunal. They awarded from Dec 2017 to Dec 2020. Trouble is son turned 16 in October 2019 (before it was all sorted).

DWP have paid backdated from Dec 2017 to Oct 2019 but thats it. Should I have applied for PIP in October or do we have some leeway due to the tribunal decision? Seems a bit unfair if we've missed a few months now since DLA wasnt even sorted back in october.
    Great news on the Tribunal decision. You should have applied for PIP for your son once he reached 16 because there was no DLA in payment at the time then DWP would not have contacted you. As the DLA award was only until October 2019 then you won't be contacted.

You'll need to start that claim for PIP ASAP because it will only be dated from the date you apply, if he's successfully awarded.

If your son isn't capable of managing his own money and his own claim then when you ring to start the claim you will need to ask to become his appointee. The claim form will not be sent out until you're his official appointee and for this to happen you will need a home visit from a DWP representative to fill out the forms and for you to sign. Once that's all done and added to the computer you will be sent the PIP2 forms.

If he's successfully awarded then it will be backdated to the date you rang to start the claim. Do be aware though that PIP and DLA are different benefits, with different criteria. Relevant evidence will be needed and most likely a face to face assessment because most people have them.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • paulfoel
    Oh OK. That's really unfair.... I don't understand why the tribunal awarded DLA until December 2020 though? They know how old he is. I assumed it was because the whole thing had run past his 16th birthday?

Saying that, DWP have sent me forms asking about appointees etc and getting him to sign to agree. Is it possible they've already done this?
  • poppy123456
    paulfoel said:
    Oh OK. That's really unfair.... I don't understand why the tribunal awarded DLA until December 2020 though? They know how old he is. I assumed it was because the whole thing had run past his 16th birthday?

Saying that, DWP have sent me forms asking about appointees etc and getting him to sign to agree. Is it possible they've already done this?

I've just re-read your comment again and see that the Tribunal awarded the DLA until Dec 2020 which means his DLA should continue to be paid until a decision's been made on the PIP. I read it as awarded until Oct 2019.

Regarding the appointee forms, the claimant (your son) doesn't usually have to sign to agree anything and i'm very surprised you've been sent that form in the post because that's not usually how it's done. When becoming an appointee for someone DWP's usual procedure is to send a representative to visit in your home. The only person that needs to sign is the appointee.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • paulfoel
    Thanks poppy. Yes just checked - they awarded DLA for 3 years until Dec 2020.
    So does that mean they will pay it but I do have to sort PIP out at some point (but I've got some time)? 

Yes they sent forms where I've agreed to be the appointee and I had to give reasons etc and son had to sign one page himself. They were really slow with this though and I only sent that back about a week before xmas.

Which is why I was surprised to see the money turn up in the account and then a letter a few days later. Is it possible they were able to pay the DLA up until hes 16 but needed an appointee for any sort of payment after this because hes older?

I'm hoping so that the last bit will come through and we'll get an ongoing payment for at least a year.....

• poppy123456
    Payments for the DLA should continue until a decision's been made on the PIP. You won't be invited to apply for PIP until you're officially his appointee because the forms will need to be sent to you and not your son. Once you're officially his appointee then you'll receive the invite and then you'll need to ring PIP to start the claim off.

It's highly likely that a decision will be made on the PIP well before December 2020. Once the decision's made the DLA payments will stop.

If you haven't continued to receive the DLA payments after the backdated money then you'll need to ring DLA to ask why you've not received any payments.
  • paulfoel
    Right I see. So if he gets turned down for PIP thats it with the DLA too? Hope its not another 2 years to sort out!

So far we've had a lump sum and a letter advising us its paid from Dec 2017 to October 2019 (his birthday). 

• poppy123456
    Yes, if he's refused PIP his DLA ends because that's part of the process of changing from DLA once a decision is made on the PIP, there's no more DLA.

I would ring DLA to enquire about the payments because the award is until Dec 2020 and he hasn't yet been assessed for PIP. Just because he's 16 it doesn't mean the DLA automatically ends as soon as he reaches that age. If an award is still running then payments will continue to be made until a decisions been made on the PIP and you haven't yet applied but you will once you become his appointee.

When you received the appointee forms, were they from DLA or PIP and have you actually started the PIP claim yet?
  • paulfoel
    Not sure where the forms were from to be honest. There was no "details" as such to fill in only things like names/addresses and bank account details.
  • poppy123456
    You need to ring to ask, they are open today.

Have you actually started the PIP claim and are the DLA payment still being received?
  • paulfoel
    OK Will do if I get chance......
  • paulfoel
    OK. phoned them. To be fair they were very good and very helpful.

Basically, the forms they sent me were ones allowing them to pay DLA for my son as an adult - which is why they've only paid up to his birthday so far.

They've said DLA from october and ongoing will be paid when the latest letter I returned is processed. And they will, in turn, send out a letter asking us to apply for PIP for him. 

As poppy correctly points out, DLA will be paid until PIP is sorted or stopped a month after PIP is declined.

Must admit two years trying to sort DLA - hope its not going to be another two years of appeals for PIP! It sounds strange calling my son an adult - yes I suppose he is 16 but the poor lad struggles being on the spectrum - there's no way he can cope on his own as an adult........

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.