Selina — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Selina

Jessel
Jessel Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited January 2020 in Start here and say hello!

Jessel Listener

1. Hi, To you all.??‍♀️ I joined back last November but never introduced myself.  I’m hoping this is the right way to do it, I became ill many years back now, I had a test done so thought can’t be anything wrong they would have called me back, 4 years later went in, hospital again a massive long story, after asking for a second opinion I was diagnosed with colon cancer at 45, the stage I was, it didn’t have a good survival rate, was told maybe 3, I fought & fought in the Bowel cancer statistics I’m the 1.8% that survive, I sure do count my blessings every day, as I’m still here to be a mum to my children who now left home, so I come here to make Friends as being Housebound for 7 years, waiting to move to a bungalow as I’m left with some complex side effects, I do miss my life I had, I’ve a massive circle of friends we used to go away weekends Holidays spa rugby pop concerts, I’m hoping if they agree to do one more operation I’ll be able to live a better quality of life than I do now, ?       Hoping you are going to help me with how this scope page works, as I’ve no idea, just promised myself I need to make friends who we can help each other with knowing there is always someone to talk to, I  love company. I’m not sure how to do photos, & all the rest yet, but sure someone will explain ? - clear

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Jessel - Glad that worked for you, & you've now 'landed' in the right place! So I'm pleased to welcome you to this very supportive & friendly community, which I'm sure you'll enjoy. I've found people here really do share, & care about each other.
    You have overcome so much & sound so positive, that it will be great to have you here with us all!.
    I have a genetic disorder which affects my joints, & has worsened over the years, so I rarely get out the house. Will you be able to get out when you move to a bungalow; just wondering if accessibility is currently an issue?
    Anyway, if you want to have a look around, you could use either the 'All groups' or 'Recent discussions' links to your right, & just join in any discussion. You can also just talk here. If you have any questions, just ask.
  • Jessel
    Hi How do I reply to you, hope this is the right way, yes a Bungalow would honestly be a lot easier for me, in seeing an accommodation expert at my home tomorrow morning, if there no bungalow ill have to find a home with a garage conversion, at the moment in hoping for surgery, all though I've been told no more surgery unless it's a absolutely emergency, my stomach looks as if in 9 months pregnant all though I've lost over 7 stone, I've always been 11 stone came out of hospital 9st 2, went up to 22 stone as I could not walk lost 7 but my stomach hurting the scars are very thin & pulling plus I need a Hernia out, we see I really do hope I've replied to you, if I did have a op, I might just get a bit of my life back Thanks again for replying, in not used to a site like this so struggling xc
  • chiarieds
    Hi again @Jessel - You replied just fine! How did you get on this morning with the accommodation person? I appreciate not having stairs anymore (well at least my knees do)!
    I can imagine surgery may be difficult with all you've gone through. I'm sorry your stomach hurts too. Are you waiting to see if a hernia op is possible?
    As far as this site goes, there are some links near the top of this page on the right. So you can use the 'New discussion' link as you initially did, choosing an appropriate section to put it on. Below that you'll see 'All groups,' which shows you those different sections. The 'Coffee lounge' is where we chat about hobbies, interests, share photos of our pets, & very much more. Then below 'All groups' is 'Recent discussions,' where the posts are from any of the different sections.
    If you want to include someone in a discussion you just put an @ symbol in front of their username as I did with yours. So for me, you'd put @chiarieds. After you've hit 'Post Reply' anyone you've mentioned gets an email notification that they've been mentioned in your message There's other stuff too, but I'd better stop there, as what I've said so far may be as clear as mud! If it doesn't make sense, let me know. I know I was bemused by it when I joined a while ago. ;)

• Jessel
    Hi, yes it went ok I think, the report will be ready by end of January it seems to be dragging on, all has to be done by May this year, I’ll let you know any thing else happens. Yes I’m finally trying to work my self through this site which I’m very happy I found it, just what I need ??‍♀️??
  • chiarieds
    Pleased you think it went OK & you'll keep us all updated. Great you haven't got lost on this site yet! I'm glad that you're happy to have found this lovely community. Btw if you want to add photos, you do so by clicking on the 10th little icon from the left, above the box where you type a message. If you hover over it you will see 'Attach image' & then you add a previously saved photo. If you've got any pets please add their photos in this thread: https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/66308/hi-everyone-lets-see-a-picture-of-your-fur-babies-️or-pets#latest :)

• Jessel
    @chiariedsHi Happy weekend to you ??‍♀️??????? You have been so helpful I will try & add photos. I show u a pic a week 5 days before I went into Hospital where & when my life changed for ever!!!!! 
        I do have my little babies Frenchie’s they 4 & 4half. The blue one was 2oz when born she thinks I’m her mum she never leaves my side. I also would love a Blue & gold McCaw but not well enough to look after them. Do you collect anything like a Hobby. I love Reborn Dolls I've bought so many over the years I've sold a lot then I buy more I love them id love to be able to paint them but my hand shakes to much. Do u have a hobby? X
  • chiarieds
    Hi @Jessel - A nice start to the weekend until it started raining! I look forward to seeing your photos. I've got a kitten who was abandoned close to where I live; she's adorable, apart from when she's mischievous! There are 2 photos of her on the link I mentioned. You'll see at the bottom of that page there are arrows, so you can go back & see everyone's pets.
    I'm a book collector, & my spare bedroom is my library. The trouble is my son's also a book collector & I've got 2 stacking bookshelves full of books he's going to sell, as well as 4 Curver boxes full of his books. We used to have a secondhand & antiquarian bookshop & he's run out of room as to where to put books as his wife collects some too.
    There's a section in the 'Coffee lounge' for hobbies, but there's so much more, where we chat about anything & everything, so if you haven't found it yet, here's a link, as I think you'll like it: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/coffee-lounge
    The 2nd link from the top, 'Kaleidoscope' is where hobbies, etc. are posted. Hope you enjoy looking. :)

Brightness