New member — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

lottie2007
lottie2007 Community member Posts: 44 Connected
Hi I’m new to your group and abut worried about using it. I suffer with anxiety which can rule my life on a bad day is there any one else in the group with the same thing. 

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lottie2007

Welcome to our online community/family.

I’m one off a number off Community Champion’s here at Scope.

Please don’t worry about getting around I will be more than happy in helping you.

Yes we have got some members in similar situations as yourself.

Please please let me know if there’s anything that I can help you with ????

@steve51
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @lottie2007, lots of our members have mentioned having anxiety. We have a really great and supportive community here and we're happy to have you with us. 
    Do you get much help with your anxiety at all?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • lottie2007
    Hi no not really my family are brilliant and support me the best they can. But am on my own all day and can’t go out on my own as lost all my confidence doctors have been good but don’t get to see the same doctor so you get one that will listen and then the ones who say oh well you will get over it.  Can u please definitely tell this message isn’t posted on face book were any body can see it. Which doesn’t help thank you for your message 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Hi @lottie2007. I'm sorry to hear that. It can be difficult to get consistency of care with that sort of system. I have the same problem at my GP surgery.
    In answer to your question, this is a public forum, but we don't share any posts on Facebook without the consent of the member.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • lottie2007
    It would be nice to find a group that meets up for coffee and a chat were you could go and feel comfy knowing people no how you feel 
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lottie2007

If you let me know what area do you live in then I can have a look for you if that will be helpful????

@steve51
  • lottie2007
    edited January 2020
    I live in Hampshire

[edited by moderator]
  • Adrian_Scope
    Hi @lottie2007. I've removed some of the details from your post as we don't allow the disclosure of personal information here to protect our members.

Have you tried Havant and East Hants Mind?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • lottie2007
    I will look into it thank you 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lottie2007 - Has the link Adrian sent been helpful?
  • chiarieds
    Hi again @lottie2007 - In your first post you wondered if anyone else here suffered anxiety. I'm going to ask my friend @thespiceman to assist as he has a great understanding of this problem. Just to reassure you, he's this community's gentleman.
  • lottie2007
  • chiarieds
    You're most welcome.
    thespiceman will definitely help, as he's suffered from anxiety.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @lottie2007   Pleased to meet you.

I am one of the community champions on the forum.

Thank you to my lovely friend @chiarieds for including me in this post.

I would like to explain a little about my self.

I had anxiety and depression plus have a disability, addiction history.

Had this a long time, clean sorted from the addiction, but mental health remains.

I would like to suggest the following.

These are mental health charities.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

https://www.mind.org.uk.

https://www.rethink.org.

Last one advocate charity helps you.  Speak on your behalf if having problems with medical professionals.

All offer floating support, advice, guidance with your issues.

Information, education, knowledge in a support group setting.

Looking at everything from medication, sleep and much more health issues.

Diet, nutrition an important one, to discuss.  Certain foods we consume cause problems make the condition worse.

To avoid Alcohol a common one, please I can advise on any of that. Have extensive knowledge of addiction. If you are aware having problems. Caffeine, found in tea, coffee, cola, chocolate.  

When we get anxious we reach for the caffeine thinking calm us down. Actual fact increases the anxiety symptoms.

Worse alcohol aids even worse symptoms and can lead to depression, also the sugar feel hit needed. A common one as well.

The need for sweet things cakes, biscuits, and so on.

Having a well balanced diet. Plenty of Fruit, Vegetables. Lean Meat and foods like Nuts, Eggs.  Whole grains Bread, Pasta, Rice 

Sleeping another common problem.

Insomnia  is a serious problem please always consult your GP.

About anything .  Your suffering from.  Medication is the answer and certain ones do have side effects. Please always read the packet, leaflet and be aware at all times.

They might not be in all areas any of the charities sorry to say to you

You can self refer or speak to your GP.

One final point they do look at your benefit situation, do a review offer also anything you need or support with any thing related.

Employment difficulties supported assistance and give the opportunities to cope.

All charities use care plans, aims, goals and coping methods and strategies.

Anxiety is a difficult not easy to live mental health condition but by learning, educating your self being aware you can do this.

Please contact me any questions you wish to know or anything I can help with.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • lottie2007
    Good morning thank you for your help and advice I will look into the charity’s I have been very alone and didn’t realise there is so much  help out there 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2020
    Hello @lottie2007     Pleasure to help, please ask me anything, wish you well.

You made one good major step in over coming any issues.

You are already doing this by contacting the SCOPE forum and hopefully any of the charities mentioned.

I am on here daily and please your not alone, we are here to help be a friend.

I am happy to listen anytime have a chat.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • lottie2007
    Morning I have contacted rethink and waiting for a call back. I have been keeping a diary about when my attacks happen and after reading your list I found out it’s when I eat chocolate and drink wine they seem worse so will be cutting all that out will be buying more fruit. The next thing is to get myself out the house but one day at a time. Then sort work out thank you so much for listening 
  • avakarlsson
    avakarlsson Community member Posts: 333 Courageous
    edited January 2020
    Hi I am new to the group 

I have anxiety, chronic pain and  disabilities.

I have been in chronic pain for 6 years and it’s just unbearable sometimes, I am on strong pain relief which takes some of the pain away but not much. 

I have panic attacks which has happened recently never had them before now I seem to get them at least once a day, I’m waiting to have cognitive behavioural therapy sessions and hope that sorts it out. 

I have a condition which affects my height. 

I also have a learning disability too. 

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @lottie2007! I'm so glad you have been able to find support. It's a really good idea to keep a diary and I hope that will allow you to see patterns. You are very welcome here. :)

Hi @avakarlsson and a warm welcome to the community! Thank you for sharing this with us. I hope the CBT helps to manage your panic attacks. Please do have a look around and get involved when you can!
    Scope

• avakarlsson
    avakarlsson Community member Posts: 333 Courageous
    Hi Chloe

Thank you for the welcome message, yes I hope the CBT sessions help and sort it out, hopefully I won’t have to wait too long for an appointment.  

Brightness