Can my daughter claim carers allowance? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can my daughter claim carers allowance?

Options
suki2168
suki2168 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi ,would like to know if my daughter can get care allowance for me ,I get PIP ,she is 17and at collage 20hrs a week ,she also gets £100per term for busbery, she is the one who looks after me all the rest off time ,night and evening, there is only me and her .can she claim care allowance 
Thanks

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome,

I'm one of the community champions here at scope and i'm here to help and advise others.

Unfortunately no because full time students are unable to claim carers allowance for looking after someone.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @suki2168 and a very warm welcome to the community. :)

Unfortunately she would be unable to claim carers allowance. However, have you both had a needs assessment? You can self refer yourself and you both might be able to get some support. 

Please do let us know how you get on and if there is anything else we can do. :)
    Scope

• suki2168
    suki2168 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi thanks for that ,
    But she only at collage 20hrs and it says if she studies over 21hrs she can not claim .
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    12.5 hours a week at college is classed as full time non advanced education, so sorry the answer remains the same she cant claim CA.
    Have a look at what Chloe said about needs assessment
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    edited January 2020
    Options
    May i ask if you're still claiming single person discount for your council tax because your daughter is a student?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • atlas47
    atlas47 Community member Posts: 238 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @suki2168

A very warm welcome to our community.

I beg to differ with the previous posters, about who is deemed a full time student.

You need to identify if your daughter’s course has more than 21 hours supervised /study per week (not the 12.5 reported on this thread).

The college she is attending, can easily provide these details.

Importantly the college should explain in detail, how it undertakes it’s “supervision”.

Might I kindly direct you to Carers UK, for more guidance and assistance.

Please keep us informed.

Source of this guidance has been Disability Rights UK, handbook.

Best wishes
  • poppy123456
    Options
    If the mother is claiming single person council tax reduction because the daughter is a student then claiming carers allowance on top of this most likely won't be possible.

Why? because students are only eligible for this discount if they are studying 21 hours or more per week.You can't say a student is studying for 21 hours or more per week to claim one benefit and then say they are studying less than 21 hours for another benefit.

See link regarding council tax for students. https://www.gov.uk/council-tax/discounts-for-full-time-students

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    atlas47 said:
    Hi @suki2168

A very warm welcome to our community.

I beg to differ with the previous posters, about who is deemed a full time student.

You need to identify if your daughter’s course has more than 21 hours supervised /study per week (not the 12.5 reported on this thread).

The college she is attending, can easily provide these details.

Importantly the college should explain in detail, how it undertakes it’s “supervision”.

Might I kindly direct you to Carers UK, for more guidance and assistance.

Please keep us informed.

Source of this guidance has been Disability Rights UK, handbook.

Best wishes
    my point was that 12.5 hours a week at college is classed as full time education this has been the case for years now, this does not include any unsupervised study they may have to do, to the best of my knowledge it would be extremely unusual for any college course to include 21 hours supervised, but the point remains that students classed as being in full time educated won't qualify for CA
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.