Why are there no wheelchair accessible activities to do in my area? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Why are there no wheelchair accessible activities to do in my area?

Rifi7
Rifi7 Community member Posts: 198 Pioneering
edited February 2020 in Coffee lounge
I’m soon to become fully wheelchair bound and I’ve been looking online and contacting organisations and groups to look for something, anything, to do in my area. I’m looking for arts, crafts or even just sit and have a coffee or tea with other wheelchair users to see if they have any ideas.  I rang one organisation who I knew did drop on sessions to see if they might be able to offer advice or point me in the right direction but they have said there drop in sessions no longer do as their funding has been slashed. They don’t even offer their coffee mornings because of this.  This organisation offers so much for disabled people in the community and they have said they get so many people like myself looking for things. To find their funding has been slashed is so sad as their facilities are a lifeline for the disabled community. It’s very sad. Do other people finding this problem in their area? Does anyone have any ideas of organisation or groups I could contact for information?

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Rifi7 Thank you for your post.

Sorry to hear this. Please how can I help.?

I know many resource centres funding closed down, also some are for our community.

In my area struggling for anything to do, volunteer on here.

There and were art groups costs, cuts and more.

If you wish to maybe look at any of your illness or conditions relevant organisations.

Happy to help , look for you.

Have and do know mental health charities have craft art sessions and activities part of their recovery programmes.

As do many others probably.

Please contact me see what I can do for you.

Disability Resource centres struggling for funds many are.

I know used to do the gardens, volunteer the admin and much more, now get no one contact me .

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    What age group are you in? If you are below retirement age there may be less o offer. Here there is a body called Staying Well, which looks after older people....like me! I`m 67 and go to a Chit Cat group. We are entertainers, games and trips out.

I also go to a drop in club at the local hospice and we do crafts and chat.

Your library may have a board with activities.

Google may help too
  • Rifi7
    Hi thespiceman & pollyanna1052
    Thank you both for your response. Today I continued my search for activities and art groups in my area. There only seems to be one pain organisation in my area and everywhere I ring brings me back to this organisation. I even spoke to scope on the phone and they mentioned this organisation. Unfortunately this particular organisation is the one I mentioned in first chat on the forum and has had their funding cut. 
    I’ve been into my library and looked on their board and they don’t have anything locally.
    I have spina bifida and am 49 years old so as Pollyanna mentions, there is limited organisations that can help me.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2020
    Hello @Rifi7 Thank you for your post I like a challenge.

Been on line this morning looking for you.

All depends where you live.

Many disability resource centres all over the UK.

All offer Arts and Crafts .

If you type in disability resource centres do have these a listing.

In my area have Jack Drum Arts I live in Co. Durham.

Other links got here the following.

Arts Council 

https://www.artscouncil.org.uk.

Telephone 0161 934 4317 

Have just compiled a report on arts for those of our community the limited resources. Might be interested in signposting you.

To relevant courses.

Other organisations this one.

https://www.ableize.com/disabled-arts/crafts-and-hobbies.

I used to do crafts at the following also.

https://www.salvationarmy.org.uk.

They offer sessions to many of our community check with your local branch.

Get lunch as well.

Richmond Fellowship a mental health charity I was a clientele of. Do activities arts, crafts for all their members.

Helps those with mental health.  If you have mental health apply.

Many charities do.  Give courses on crafts, arts and also other activities.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

https://www.mind.org.uk.

Range of activities.

Please can I also add if you have a learning disabilty.

Mencap have a lot to do with crafts and arts.

Do employ side kicks to assist in volunteering arts and crafts for members.

https://www.mencap.org.uk.

I know because I volunteered at many centres did arts, crafts with members.

You could volunteer then at the same time do with any of the clientele or members arts and crafts.

Just a suggestion.

Hope that helps.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    spiceman is always so helpful and kind. Hope his ideas come to fruition for you xx
  • 77cp
    77cp Community member Posts: 21 Connected
    Rifi7
    if you live in London there is an organisation called Disability Avice Services Lambeth who offer a range of services
    You can find thier web site at www.disabilitylambeth.oeg.uk. If they are unable to help they will direct you to someone who can. Hope this will help.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome! 

How old are you now? If you are retired, you can join a organisation called the university of the third age. They do lots of special interest groups for members and so on. More details of groups can be found on their website (you have to click on your local site) https://u3asites.org.uk/code/index.php 

Additionally what about adult education courses? You can also ask your local community college about adult education courses you can undertake. What are your hobbies? I just started participating in a local sewing club. We meet at the shop and sew for a hour. It is both fun and therapeutic. 

Use the Internet to find groups. But ask on Facebook too. 
  • Rifi7
    77cp
    thank you for advice. I will definitely look into the disability Lambeth advice services. I don’t live in that borough but as you have mentioned, they may be able to redirect me.
  • Rifi7
    Hi April2018mom
    Thank you for your advice. I’m 49 years old. Yes I have heard of this organisation so will look into it. I would love to go and do a part time course but unfortunately I’m still waiting for my ramped to be installed on the outside of flat so I have to rely on carers to get me out, but I could participate in some clubs, if I could find some local ones. This for me is becoming a big problem as there is not much to do in my area.
  • 77cp
    77cp Community member Posts: 21 Connected
    Rifi7
    Hi, Which borough are you in?

• emmarenshaw
    emmarenshaw Community member Posts: 710 Pioneering
    Welcome to the community @Rifi7
  • Rifi7
    Hi 77cp
    I live in the Enfield borough.
  • 77cp