Motability Car — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Motability Car

tcellmutation
tcellmutation Community member Posts: 259 Pioneering
edited January 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello Scope community!

I’ve many health conditions which cause problems which leave me not being able to lead “my” past normal life. I’ve come into a spell of good health, but I’m aware as before it’s just a spell but deciding to make the most of them now.

I’m entitled to a car on the Motability scheme. In order to order my car I (as always) I present my “certificate of entitlement” to the car dealership which unlike before does not mention anything about keeping the certificate for free car tax purposes, however my present new now called “Statement of Entitlement” is 2 pages long with all my points awarded for each PIP category along with a brief note alongside each of the points scored.

Is this now called “Statement of Entitlement” which does not mention anything about the DVLA or any have tax references, the letter I present to the car dealership to order my vehicle?

Many thanks!

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Of course you need Enhanced mobility for the mobility vehicle. When placing your order with the dealer you just take the front page of the award with you, this is what i did. You won't need the certificate for road tax because when ordering a mobility vehicle all this is done for you before you collect the car from the dealer. When you do collect it, you need to pay any advance payment you may have and then enter the pin number given to you by motability.

You only need the certificate when taxing a car that isn't from motability.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • tcellmutation
    edited January 2020
    Hi,

Of course you need Enhanced mobility for the mobility vehicle. When placing your order with the dealer you just take the front page of the award with you, this is what i did. You won't need the certificate for road tax because when ordering a mobility vehicle all this is done for you before you collect the car from the dealer. When you do collect it, you need to pay any advance payment you may have and then enter the pin number given to you by motability.

You only need the certificate when taxing a car that isn't from motability.
    Hi, Poppy

Yup enhanced but my certificate (2 pages) front page still shows half of the descriptors, points and personal notes (not generic) to myself in detail (other half on page 2).

Is this correct? Seems a little weird that it’s just not 1 clear page as my previous one without all my “personal notes”
  • poppy123456
    edited January 2020
    The actual decision letter will tell you exactly what you were awarded on the front page of the letter. The full breakdown of the points awarded will be on the following pages.

If you've requested a copy of the award then you'll receive a statement of entitlement but the front page will be missing, it will have a breakdown of the points scored and what was awarded underneath. What you have sounds like this and this is absolutely fine to take to a dealer when ordering your car.

Actually, when i ordered my 2nd car just a few months ago they didn't even ask me for my award letter.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • tcellmutation
    edited January 2020
    The actual decision letter will tell you exactly what you were awarded on the front page of the letter. The full breakdown of the points awarded will be on the following pages.

If you've requested a copy of the award then you'll receive a statement of entitlement but the front page will be missing, it will have a breakdown of the points scored and what was awarded underneath. What you have sounds like this and this is absolutely fine to take to a dealer when ordering your car.

Actually, when i ordered my 2nd car just a few months ago they didn't even ask me for my award letter.
    Just so we are on the same page. This is page 1 of 2

Is this the correct document to take to the dealership? As you can see it’s an all in one letter.
  • poppy123456
    Yup, that's exactly the same as mine but you'll need the page with the mobility part, not the daily living part and yes you can take this.
  • tcellmutation
    Yup, that's exactly the same as mine but you'll need the page with the mobility part, not the daily living part and yes you can take this.
    Thanks Poppy.

My only annoyance is that when handing over the document it will be “scrutinised” by the dealer who may judge, especially as I’m having a really good spell.
  • poppy123456
    edited January 2020
    You're welcome,

No, this wouldn't happen. They are not there to judge anyone on anything. They are there to help you and nothing more. I've always found mobility advisers at dealers nothing but extremely helpful.
  • tcellmutation
    You're welcome,

No, this wouldn't happen. They are not there to judge anyone on anything. They are there to help you and nothing more. I've always found mobility advisers at dealers nothing but extremely helpful.
    Thanks Poppy
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2020
    Thanks Poppy.

My only annoyance is that when handing over the document it will be “scrutinised” by the dealer who may judge, especially as I’m having a really good spell.
    I was worried about this too as I have no physical issues and from the outside I appear perfectly able just very reserved.

Poppy is right they are not there to judge, from my experience the staff in the dealership are incredibly helpful and accommodating, even the ones that were not Motability trained were really very good. I got absolutely no feeling that I was being judged in any way, in fact they all seemed quite sympathetic. In truth they likely just want the custom - as long as you qualify that’s all that matters!

In addition, they didn’t scrutinise the document, in my case (from what I recall) they just took a reference number off the top of the sheet and gave it back to me, that was all that was needed!

Let us know which vehicle you choose in the end!!
  • tcellmutation
    66Mustang said:
    Thanks Poppy.

I was worried about this too as I have no physical issues and from the outside I appear perfectly able just very reserved.

Poppy is right they are not there to judge, from my experience the staff in the dealership are incredibly helpful and accommodating, even the ones that were not Motability trained were really very good. I got absolutely no feeling that I was being judged in any way, in fact they all seemed quite sympathetic. In truth they likely just want the custom - as long as you qualify that’s all that matters!

In addition, they didn’t scrutinise the document, in my case (from what I recall) they just took a reference number off the top of the sheet and gave it back to me, that was all that was needed!

Let us know which vehicle you choose in the end!!
    That’s very reassuring. I feel much better now.

Thanks very much indeed!

• poppy123456
    My last motability adviser from the dealers was so nice and extremely helpful. Rang me quite a few times with updates on my new car because i waited 3 months for collection. I had a full tank of fuel free as well because i was his first motability customer. 2 days after i collected my car i returned to the dealers with a thank you card and a box of chocolates. A little thank you goes a long way.

You will be fine. Enjoy choosing the right car for you.
  • tcellmutation
    Tomorrow is the day! I don’t have any utility bills to take in as prof of address. Just passport, driving license, hospital letter, pip letter. All other bills are online. Not sure if they accept bills printed?
  • poppy123456
    All you need is your driving license and PIP award letter.
  • tcellmutation
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Good luck @tcellmutation

Take a photocopy of your driving license or passport. When I went to the dealership last September, I had a benefits letter with our address on it. I also took a copy of a credit card statement from the bank. 
  • poppy123456
    Good luck @tcellmutation

Take a photocopy of your driving license or passport. When I went to the dealership last September, I had a benefits letter with our address on it. I also took a copy of a credit card statement from the bank. 
    A photocopy of driving license or passport isn't needed at all. The actual driving license itself is needed, along with the PIP award letter.

• tcellmutation
    edited February 2020
    Well it’s CD (Car Dealership) day! I’m gunna try with just driving licence and pip award letter. 

I will update you guys whilst I’m waiting around at the dealership.
  • poppy123456
    Well it’s CD (Car Dealership) day! I’m gunna try with just driving licence and pip award letter. 

Have fun. As advised, those 2 will be accepted as i've very recently got my 2nd mobility car.
  • tcellmutation
    This will be my 5th motability car. Just forgot what’s needed. Last time I drove was 18 months ago!

Never kept a motability car for more than 1 year?‍♂️
  • skullcap
    skullcap Posts: 169 Courageous

Thanks Poppy.

I agree, the dealer will not be interested in how you are or what you can do - they are only interested in getting you into one of their cars.
    I didn't know if to laugh or cry when speaking to someone from AgeUK a year or so back.
    They helped a guy claim PIP which was successful for both care and mobility. However the guy turned up a few months later to clean their windows (ground and first floor). Remembering who he was and what they had done for him and seeing him run up and down the ladder they reported him to the DWP as carrying out a benefit fraud.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.