Advice on PIP Assessor report — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advice on PIP Assessor report

lmkg1315
lmkg1315 Community member Posts: 16 Connected
Hi! New here, just looking for some understanding as I am new to the PIP process! I received my written report today through the post (I only called to request it yesterday so I was quite shocked it came so early!). Based on what a PIP assessor writes in their report do the DWP usually go along with that or are they allowed to change the selection the assessor has chosen. For example (random example not from my form) if a PIP assesor has marked question 4 with Answer C do the DWP take that as it is or do they/can they change it to say answer B or answer D? Or is it more than likely the DWP just goes with what the assessor has answered?

Gosh I hope someone can understand what I mean, I'm just a little confused on the process as the PIP assessor actually witnesses you and your disability but the DWP don't so I dont see how they could change the opinion of the PIP assessor but I am aware its DWP that make the final decision.

Sorry for any confusion! Thanks for reading and sorry for scrambling brains in advance!

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @lmkg1315    Pleased to meet you.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am one of the team of community champions. We guide, advise and support help members of our community.

Please may I suggest going to tag my friend  @poppy123456 who has expertise and knowledge. Is a member of our team.

Please will be in touch shortly.

Please any other questions please ask.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lmkg1315 - Welcome to the community & thank you for joining.
    The DWP Decision maker does usually go along with the HCP's assessment report, but, as they look at all the evidence they have, it may rarely be changed. So, in that regard, you still need to wait for your decision letter. Have you been able to work out what points you may have been awarded?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

I agree that they usually go with the report, it's rare to go against it. Use the PIP descriptors online to add up those recommended points, remember the daily living score will be added separately to the mobility score.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • lmkg1315
    Hello @lmkg1315    Pleased to meet you.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am one of the team of community champions. We guide, advise and support help members of our community.

Please may I suggest going to tag my friend  @poppy123456 who has expertise and knowledge. Is a member of our team.

Please will be in touch shortly.

Please any other questions please ask.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Thanks so much, @thespiceman!

• lmkg1315
    chiarieds said:
    The DWP Decision maker does usually go along with the HCP's assessment report, but, as they look at all the evidence they have, it may rarely be changed. So, in that regard, you still need to wait for your decision letter. Have you been able to work out what points you may have been awarded?
    Thanks for your reply, Chiarieds! Yes I have some kind of idea of what I will be awarded and it's all looking to go well. I was a little nervous as I had heard such horror stories of assessors twisting the truth on their reports. An assessors even claimed in my Mothers report (bedridden  with MS & Osteoporosis) that she leaned forward and picked up a mug of tea and drank from it. My Mother has been bed bound and disabled from the neck down for 12 years and has never drank a hot drink in her life she can't stand them! So I was understandably extremely nervous. Luckily my assessor was a lovely woman during the assessment and was completely honest in what she had written in the report *phew*.

Tha is again for you reply! ♡
  • lmkg1315
    Hi,

I agree that they usually go with the report, it's rare to go against it. Use the PIP descriptors online to add up those recommended points, remember the daily living score will be added separately to the mobility score.
    Thanks so much for your reply, Poppy! I have had a look at the points system on another website (not sure how accurate they are though) and it seems to be going in my favour. Hopefully I can get a little help!

Now it's just a waiting game for the award letter. (If I am awarded anything at all...)

Thanks again! ♡
  • poppy123456
    No problem. I'm not sure what you mean by "how accurate the points are" there's only one set of PIP descriptors. Here

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • lmkg1315
    No problem. I'm not sure what you mean by "how accurate the points are" there's only one set of PIP descriptors. Here

I mean how accurate they were on the site I looked at. I wasn't sure if it was an official site or something someone had put together themselves. It wasnt the site you have just linked me though so I will go and take a look! Thanks for the link and the help :)

• lmkg1315

Just checked out the download you sent me Poppy and I am very grateful you did! It looks like the website I was looking at was incorrect with the points they had indicated would be allocated for each answer. What I have just looked at from yourself it seems I have received enough points to be awarded Enhanced on both parts. Hopefully this means the DWP will at least take mercy on me and I may receive at least standard rate.

Thanks so much again for the link, Poppy! You're really helpful and to be honest seeing the points were different has eased my mind. I'm sure I will rest a little better tonight than I have been doing lately.

• poppy123456
    You're welcome,

If it added it as Enhanced for both parts then they usually go with the report, it's very rare they go against it. Don't celebrate just yet but i'm sure it will be fine. I've had 4 PIP assessments and they've never gone against the report for me.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @lmkg1315   Please to give you further reassurance and confidence I have been claiming  for along time.

Probably had more positive outcomes than negative ones.

We as the team never hear them or if we do so rarely wish to say had a positive outcome.

One other point always try to get any help with forms, benefits.

If you have a particular condition, disability or illness a association charity linked.

Mental health one example has floating support, out reach workers . Staff trained in form filling in, attended benefit reviews assessments.

Others are jobcentre reviews anything you need advice on, some times worth contacting .

If you need to know please ask me, happy to offer any additional information on any thing your coping with.

Please ask .

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lmkg1315

Good Morning & Welcome it’s great to meet you ?

I’m am also one of the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

Please please let me know if you need a hand ? getting around???

@steve51

• lmkg1315
    You're welcome,

If it added it as Enhanced for both parts then they usually go with the report, it's very rare they go against it. Don't celebrate just yet but i'm sure it will be fine. I've had 4 PIP assessments and they've never gone against the report for me.
    Definitely keeping my celebrations to a minimum at the moment Poppy, I was worried if it had added together as standard and the DWP were to go against what was suggested that I would then be offered nothing but seeing that it has added together as enhanced has kept me positive that if the DWP do go against it they will at least offer me standard, hope this makes sense! You've been super helpful Poppy, going out of your way to respond, send me a link and be informative I really appreciate it!

• lmkg1315
    Hello @lmkg1315   Please to give you further reassurance and confidence I have been claiming  for along time.

Probably had more positive outcomes than negative ones.

We as the team never hear them or if we do so rarely wish to say had a positive outcome.

One other point always try to get any help with forms, benefits.

If you have a particular condition, disability or illness a association charity linked.

Mental health one example has floating support, out reach workers . Staff trained in form filling in, attended benefit reviews assessments.

Others are jobcentre reviews anything you need advice on, some times worth contacting .

If you need to know please ask me, happy to offer any additional information on any thing your coping with.

Please ask .

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Thanks so much, Spiceman!

• lmkg1315
    steve51 said:
    Hi @lmkg1315

Good Morning & Welcome it’s great to meet you ?

I’m am also one of the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

Please please let me know if you need a hand ? getting around???

@steve51

Thanks so much, Steve! I did struggle at first but think I'm getting the hand of navigating now! I'll be sure to drop you a message if I struggle. 

What a lovely community you've all been so friendly and helpful, especially Poppy. Thank you all so much!

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lmkg1315

That’s my Pleasure ???

@steve51
  • lmkg1315
    @poppy123456 and all on this post. Thank you for your reassurances on this post when I was so confused you all helped put my mind at ease! Due to an odd payment I received that was referenced as UC today (and UC said it wasn't them and to call PIP) I have found out that the payment wasn't from PIP but a decision has been made on my claim. I have been awarded Standard Daily Living and Enhanced Mobility and I should receive my back pay by Friday. Thanks to this unusual payment from UC I never would have found this out today! So from the day I made the call to PIP to start my claim until I found out about my awarded (which coincidentally had only been decided upon this morning) it was 13 weeks to the day. I have had an extremely positive experience with the PIP process, the F2F assessor and anyone I have spoken to over the phone regarding my PIP claim. I was in full fear of this process due to the awful way some people have been treated so I feel extremely lucky not only for the fact that I actually received an award but for experience I had with them. Thank you all for the support, just thought I'd give a little update!

L♡
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @lmkg1315 Thats great news about your PIP award and thanks for sharing your epereince with the community. Its always good to see a positive experience and only goes to encourage other members fearful of the process. I have had 2 assessments now and both had positive outcomes especially with my review as after sending back the forms I got a call to ask some questions and as a result was awarded an increased award with no f2f assessment which I know is rare. I think a lot of it was down to the detail I put on the review form after seeing all the advice given on here 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Great news @lmkg1315! Thank you for letting us know. :)
    Scope

• wazza57
    wazza57 Community member Posts: 16 Connected
    lmkg1315 said:
    chiarieds said:
    Thanks for your reply, Chiarieds! Yes I have some kind of idea of what I will be awarded and it's all looking to go well. I was a little nervous as I had heard such horror stories of assessors twisting the truth on their reports. An assessors even claimed in my Mothers report (bedridden  with MS & Osteoporosis) that she leaned forward and picked up a mug of tea and drank from it. My Mother has been bed bound and disabled from the neck down for 12 years and has never drank a hot drink in her life she can't stand them! So I was understandably extremely nervous. Luckily my assessor was a lovely woman during the assessment and was completely honest in what she had written in the report *phew*.

Tha is again for you reply! ♡
    Hi i first claimed pip 5 years ago the assessors report was full of truths and lies but i got my decsiton letter 2 weeks after my assessment and was aworded standard daily liveing and enhanced mobility....i was sent a review form in august 2021 on a saterday...i filled it in over that weekend and sent it back on the tuseday 4 days of haveing it by special delivery i had my vidio assessment 3 weeks ago and got my assessors report i was shocked no lies and rote in detail word for word what id told them and more supporting me every step on the way she was lovey careing and never rushed me ither,in her report gave me top scores for daily liveing and mobility..so in theary ive got enhanced for both now baring in mind after every discriptor she had written my condition is still current nouthing has chainged and not likely too ither on every one...im like you worrid that ill get aworded the same as befor because nouthing has chainged from my last form claiming it..im concernd that the decsition maker will ignore her points and written findings and awrord me the same as befor if this happens ill appeal asap..its the waiting game now i was also told that if they aword my the higher rate of the daily liveing this time ill receave a back pay from when i sent my review form in then outhers have said ill get a back payment from when there desition was made 🤔 wishing you luck with yours xxx

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.