Compensation and Benefits — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Compensation and Benefits

chelseachris
chelseachris Community member Posts: 16 Connected
Hi,Four years ago I had an accident at work and 6 months later lost my job because of the capabilities of doing my Job.I now have been successful in getting compensation but wanted to know if my compensation would have any bearing on my benefits all of which are not means tested..Industrial injuries benefit,PIP and Contribution based ESA.The money I will be left with will already have any money that DWP paid me ducted from it.Do I still have to let them know about the amount I am left with or is that only for means tested benefits...Thanks in advance 

Chris

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,368 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

The money you received will not affect any of the benefits you're receiving because they are not means tested. DWP will already know you received that money because of the deductions taken for the benefits you've already received. Hope this helps.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,524 Disability Gamechanger
    Non means tested benefits wont be affected by compensation.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• chelseachris
    Many thanks Woodbine
  • chelseachris
    Thanks for your reply,a few years ago when I took my pension early I was advised by Citizens Advice I didn’t have to declare it as it was below £85 per week and it wouldn’t affect my ESA,Then nearly 3 years later I get pulled in by DWP for not declaring my pension,it all worked out that everything was above board.Hence I was keeping myself on the right side by asking for advice on this situation...Again many thanks for help and reply

Regards Chris
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,368 Disability Gamechanger
    You're welcome. A pension is different. Even though you are receiving Contributions based ESA then your local CAB were wrong to advise you that you didn't need to tell DWP about that pension. Even though it was below £85 per week, you still need to tell them.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • chelseachris
    Yeah I found that out with DWP threatening letters regarding the whole affair.It was my 1st time being unemployed for about 40 years so all new to me then...

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.