New point system (Australian style) with this Brexit. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

New point system (Australian style) with this Brexit.

Options
lostone87
lostone87 Community member Posts: 16 Listener
Hello, I dont know if I am I the right place but I will try the best to explain. I am not against Brexit or for it, I am neutral on the matter. Will this point system be for someone who lived here for 20+ years and who is a none EU citizen.

They say they want skilled workers to live in the UK but what if this person and can't work due to disability's? Does that mean they have no right to live in the UK?

It seem that people think that Tories are anti with people with disability's, is right or are they fighting for people with disability's.

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I cannot imagine that a new points system would apply retrospectively but going forward.
    Despite the fact that we officially left the EU on 31/01 there is still a lot to sort out.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Seanchai
    Seanchai Community member Posts: 411 Pioneering
    edited February 2020
    Options
    As far as I understood , non British nationals need to register . ....but I,m not sure if that was just for European,s who live on these shores . 
    Good luck lostone87 .... 
    I must add that I did not agree with Brexit.
    The country needs seasonal workers and there is no way the producers can afford wages of over £60 a day ....if they do have to pay that then the people who buy it (us...if its affordable) will be paying through the nose for it ...especially after 01/21 .
    The UK still remain under European laws and single market until then . When we leave the single market prices will jump . 
  • skullcap
    skullcap Posts: 169 Courageous
    Options
    Yes they will have to register for settled status.
    Sorry but I am all for it. It's about time that we controlled our own country using our own laws. I am fed up to the back teeth with seeing dossers from Eastern Europe begging on the streets. On top of that and because they will accept low wages it puts every other employee at risk of having their wages reduced.
    Friends and family who are professionally qualified are having to leave Britain to work abroad so that they can still earn the same wages that they were receiving 15 years ago.
    I also have a friend whose son is a fisherman hoping to catch scallops. He is hoping that the Royal Navy will protect his right to fish within British waters and not to have this constant battle in the channel with the French.
  • soconfused
    soconfused Community member Posts: 102 Courageous
    Options
    The problem I have is the way some people are treated who are already here. I know a woman who is Hungarian and she has to make ends meet as an Uber eats driver on basically minimum wage.. Why is this such an issue? Well because back in Hungary she is a Cardio Thoracic Surgeon but the NHS and government here won't recognise her as such - and yet the NHS is crying out for people!

So so wrong 
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    maybe Hungary isn't a great place to live...but you would think her salary as a surgeon would pay more than a take away driver.....

Brightness