To register as a carer or not? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

To register as a carer or not?

Options
Sorry_Susan
Sorry_Susan Community member Posts: 58 Courageous
I have now realised that I have my very own label - I am a carer for my disabled adult daughter and autistic teenager. I thought I was just a mum, but realised that I am a mum and carer.
I now need to decide wether to register as a carer. How do I register and where? Should I register?
Advise please.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,981 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

You can tell your GP so that it will be put onto your records but that's really about it when you "register" as a carer.

If either of your children claim PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care then claiming carers allowance maybe possible depending on your circumstances.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • forgoodnesssake
    forgoodnesssake Community member Posts: 502 Pioneering
    Options
    Yes that was essentially going to be my reply too

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Sorry_Susan! How are you doing today? :)
    Scope

• Sorry_Susan
    Options
    Thank you for asking @Chloe_Scope
    Today is much better. One of your colleagues have given me useful information and made the necessary soothing noises. Sometimes empathy and understanding is all one needs.

• Chloe_Scope
    Options
    I'm so glad to hear this @Sorry_Susan! Understanding really can make a difference!
    Scope

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi, I am thankful that I have carers....hubby being my main one, and a lovely lass who has been with me for 9 years.
    I also have a variety of women from a care agency looking after me.

Without these people, I would be lost!

Thankyou!

• Joanne_Alumni
    Joanne_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 188 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Sorry_Susan,
    I just thought I would ask again if you have claimed Carers Allowance if one of your daughters has the required level of DLA/PIP?
    Even if you do not get a payment you can get credits towards your National Insurance record.
    Joanne 
    Scope
  • Sorry_Susan
    Options
    How where do I register for that? I am a bit like a hamster an a wheel at the moment.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,981 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2020
    Options
    How where do I register for that? I am a bit like a hamster an a wheel at the moment.

You can't claim for the carers allowance  or the carers credits unless your daughters claims a qualifying benefit such as DLA mid/high rate care or PIP daily living.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Sorry_Susan
    Options
    We have a PIP appointment at the end of Feb. Will keep running the wheel  for now.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Options
    Please do let us know how the appointment goes @Sorry_Susan. :)
    Scope

• anisty
    anisty Community member Posts: 354 Pioneering
    Options
    Im sure it is in the link Poppy posted but your own income (if you have any paid work yourself) is limited if you claim carer's allowance. I cant remember the exact figure.

When my son was born, i gave up my career.

I didnt work at all for 2yrs but then re trained as a childminder and it was brilliant as it really fitted in with being there for him and earning at the same time.

When he was around 9/10 he went through a stage of being quite difficult to manage due to severe problems with constipation. I wont give too much detail as it wasnt pleasant but suffice it to say i had a lot of extra washing to do and it was very stressful all round for a few years. 

I looked into the carers allowance then as things were getting on top of me but i would have had to give up my childminding and i decided to battle through and carry on. 

Just something to be aware of if you do paid work or plan to do paid work in future.
  • Joanne_Alumni
    Joanne_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 188 Pioneering
    Options
     Hi,

Just thought I would confirm that the earnings limit for Carers Allowance is £123. 

:)

Joanne 
    Scope

Brightness