Degenerative disc disease and facet joint arthritis — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Degenerative disc disease and facet joint arthritis

DDDBOY
DDDBOY Community member Posts: 8 Connected
Giving you a quick version...
I had a accident at work in 2012.
Couldnt work because of the pain.
Ended up buying a wheelchair and granny scooter to get about because of the pain.
It took nearly 4 years of back and forth to pain clinics and doctor, given facet joint injections and then denervation with no benifit to me at all, but after been told it was all in my head i broke down, eventually i did get a mri and had damaged my facet joints and popped out two discs and ruptured one l4 l5 level and some other level, i was rushed surgery because the nerves were getting squashed anyway that op was now 4 years ago..
I did manage to return to work but recently ive hurt my back again to the point where ive had to go to a&e because of the symptoms in my legs and trouble passing water, ive had another mri done and been off work for 4 weeks now.. its driving me crazy been stuck at home.
I use crutches to get around atm as i sold my wheelchair and granny scooter as i didnt think i would need them again...
Im on the usual tramadol pregabalin ibroufen but finding them little help.
Ive a pain clinic appointment next week, im hoping they might let me up my meds but i guess i need some advice on what to do next.
Im stugglling not just mentally and physically also financially too.
I do get ssp and uc but that dont cover all my bills.
Im thinking do i go down the root of mobility aids or not?
Am i going to be able to go back to work and if so when?
Im a agency driver cat b and ive told them i cant do the manual handling stuff but still insist on sending me to do those kind of jobs...
Im at a lose end!!

Comments

• DDDBOY
    Hello all, 
    I have degenerative disc disease and facet joint arthritis, ive had operations but recently have had a relapse and suffering a lot of pain, enough to.stop me working and have a emergency mri again....

• jadealyssa
    jadealyssa Community member Posts: 63 Courageous
    Hi @DDDBOY
    sorry to hear of your suffering.
    Have your doctors give you any pain relief medication.
    We are not medical professionals so we can not advise you in that way but we are here for support any time .
    I hope you start to feel better and that they find a way to help you cope
    Best wishes 
  • DDDBOY
    Im on regular tramadol pregabalin but take ibuprofen too, have been since 2012 when i had a accident at work
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @DDDBOY - Welcome to this very supportive community. I'm very sorry to read that you're in a lot of pain. Have you been back to your GP mentioning this increase in pain to see if they can help?
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @DDBOY and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you.  I'm really sorry to hear you are in so much pain.  I also would recommend that you go to see your GP as soon as you can to see if they can help you further with this.  Please keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on.  I hope you feel better soon.  If we can be of any help/support to you then please just ask.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • ClaireSaul
    ClaireSaul Community member Posts: 92 Pioneering
    Hi @DDDBOY and welcome to the community.  
    So sorry that you are in so much pain - I am unable to answer at any length this afternoon, but I will come back to "chat" tomorrow.
    Claire Saul
    Chronic Pain Advisor
    Scope
    helpline@scope.org.uk
    scope.org.uk
  • DDDBOY
    Ive a doctors appointment on Wednesday to discuss my mri scan 
  • DDDBOY
    Im stuck i have ddd and facet joint arthritis, working as a delivery driver, im in so much pain and been off work for a month now...
    Im unable to do the lifting and carrying or the driving for long periods..
    No other transferable skills to anything else..
    Im 41 this year..
    I cant afford to do any courses, been looking for work but there seems to be no jobs i can do!!!
    I need some advice 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @DDDBOY   Pleased to meet you sorry to hear this.

I am one of the team of Community Champions.  We support members on this forum and community.

Please can I suggest the following information may be of relevance to you.

Given your situation there are alternatives to look at other options.

Remember you have skills, abilities and talents to give some reassurance not necessarily what you think.

For example do you have hobbies, interests particular knowledge of a specify life skill or talent or ability.

I was in a dead end job packed it in and set up my business. Collected lots of things from Stamps to Postcards to Film Memorabilia.

Did that ten years or more. Have an interest in diets and nutrition cook and volunteered in kitchens.

Italian food and culture got food science qualifications, plus lots of others.

Understanding Health Part 2 plus numerous herbs and spice one day course use those for therapy myself.

Just some suggestions for you.

These are organisations may be able to help, advise and give you some direction.

https://www.evenbreak.co.uk.

Employment agency deals with members of our community.

On line Courses no need to travel.

Future learn.com

https://www.futurelearn.com

Arthritis organisation.

https://www.arthritisaction.org.uk.

Helpline 020 3781 7120

Pain relief and information for Chronic Pain.

https://www.awaywithpain.co.uk.

Please can I add also look at volunteering might be useful.  Something to look at . Some times volunteering can lead to a job.

Hope that helps please if you have anything further be happy to be supportive.

Please take care .

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @DDDBOY - It's good to see you're going to your GP to discuss your recent MRI this Wednesday, & I hope they can also help you about your increased pain. Please let us know how you get on. :)
  • AbiP
    AbiP Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi DDboy my cure for arthritus in both shoulder was cortozone injections into my shoulder joints 2 day later no pain at all wish you well
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @DDDBOY and welcome to the community, I'm so sorry to hear that you are in so much pain. 

I really hope your appointment goes well this week. Here is some information about disability equipment which includes buying second hand.

In terms of work, I fully appreciate that it must be so annoying to be off and to not know what will happen. Have you looked at reasonable adjustment? Here is some information which might help:
    Please do let us know if there is anything else we can do, you don't need to do this by yourself. :)
    Scope

• DDDBOY
    The problem i have is also funding mobility equipment i just havent that kind of money even for the second hand stuff 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @DDDBOY. Have you had a look at our grants checker to see if there's any way you could fund your equipment that way? - https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/grants-checker/
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @DDDBOY It may be worth mentioning at the pain clinic about aids and mobility equipment, you could also contact wheelchair services for an assessment or another alternative is to request a care needs assessment through your local council, who will assess any equipment you may need, you can do this online at the GOV.UK website. I hope you appointment goes well 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @DDDBOY, I hope the grant checker is more helpful to you. How are things going?
    Scope

• DDDBOY
    Getting crunching noises when i try bending, pain is less some days and more on others, thanks for asking 
  • Chloe_Scope
    That sounds incredibly uncomfortable @DDDBOY! Hope you have a low pain evening!
    Scope

• DDDBOY
    Turns out i have spondylitis multi level, minor disc bulge above previous discectomy and further multi level degeneration from last mri scan, they wont do anything the doc says 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @DDDBOY I am sorry to hear the result of your MRI and more so that they cannot do anything for you. Have you tried seeing a chiropractor at all. I had back issues few years ago and after very intensive and then ongoing treatment my pain became manageable. Im not saying it will help you as I'm not medically qualified its just another idea for you.     

Brightness