PIP - overturned before Tribunal in my favour. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP - overturned before Tribunal in my favour.

MIT
MIT Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi everyone. 

I had PIP cancelled from last Sept 19 after originally having to go through reassessment from Dec 18.

After stress, anxiety and everything that affects us negatively during this process I reached a point where I'd got to the long wait for a Tribunal. 

However, before that date was given I got a call from PIP saying that they believe that a mistake had been made and that I should still be on what I was originally and back payments should be made to the original date it was stopped. 

I would get this if I agreed not to continue to go to Tribunal. 

I agreed as I'm not after anything more - I just want what I had in order to function in society the best I can and to the least amount of pain and distress. 

However, I'm terrible on the phone and my medication means I have difficulties in understanding specifics as well as remembering details. 

The phone call was about a week ago. 
They said I would continue to get PIP at precious rates and it would be back dated. 

What I don't know is how long this will take. What letters i should be expecting. What the next steps are or if there's anything I should be wary about. 

If anyone has been in a similar situation and can help me then I would be most appreciative. I understand that having a PIP decision come back in your favour at any stage is still *a very good thing* so I don't want to sound like I'm complaining too much. 

I'm just still and will continue to be, in a state of panic until this is resolved. 

Thank you. 

Comments

• yanni
    yanni Community member Posts: 91 Pioneering

I think the only way you are going to find out how long this will take is by calling the DWP / PIP.

If you are not good on the phone you can use the Relay UK app to contact them. You type your questions and a relay assistant talks to the DWP for you and then types the DWP’s response.

https://www.relayuk.bt.com/

I find it much easier than talking on the phone it gives me time to think about what to say. At the end of the call I copy and paste what was typed and save it on a word document so I have a record of what was said.

The only thing I would be wary about is how long the award is for as you don’t want to accept this and then find out it is only for a year and find yourself having to go through the whole thing again in a few months time.

• MIT
    Thank you for getting back to me. That's really useful, thank you 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @MIT, how are things going?
    Scope

• MIT
    Literally the next day I was called by PIP who said that, even after mandatory reconsideration failed, that they believed "they had made a mistake". 

I was offered the same rate as I was on before and a rebate back to September if I agreed not to go to tribunal. 

I may have gotten more financial assistance if I went to tribunal and succeeded but I felt what was already in place preciously met my needs. And of course I may not have had the tribunal go my way. 

I took that offer and now have the means to support myself again.

Strangely, apart from the immense amount of relief I got I still felt incredibly drained. At least I don't have to worry for another few years.

Thanks to everyone who replied

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.