Recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia and struggling — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia and struggling

beetle1973
beetle1973 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
I have just joined in the hope I can get some advice about fibromyalgia. I'm recently diagnosed and struggling 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

I'm one of the community champions here on scope and i'm here to help and advise others.

One of my conditions is also fibromyalgia. You say you were recently diagnosed, having a diagnosis of something can often make us feel even worse than we felt before the diagnosis, even though we may not be experiencing anymore symptoms, it's more psychological than anything.

I've had fibro for more than 20 years, although i wasn't diagnosed until about 2012. Mostly i've learned to deal with it the best way i know how and that's finding things the help to ease the pain, when it's at it's worse.

You can speak to your GP to ask them to refer you to the pain clinic but do be aware the waiting lists can be very long in a lot of areas and when you do go, there's possibly not a lot they can do to help you. Or just speak to your GP to see what your options are, unfortunately, it's finding out what works best for you.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • beetle1973
    Thank you for your reply. I am on the waiting list for pain management but it doesn't help. 

I'm struggling to work out what is normal for me for example I had to see Dr yesterday as I am getting stabbing pain in outer thighs and knees when trying to walk, I asked is this a fibromyalgia flare he said I don't know, gave me a prescription for co codamol and sent me for a xray. All i got was if its no better you will have to come back. I'm in so much pain today I could cry and I know I have to stay active so have got crutches out. 
  • poppy123456
    To be honest over the years, i found that nothing really helps in the long term. You just have to find what works and doesn't work for you, when the pain is at it's worst. I tend not to push myself over the line when i do things. Take my time and space out the things i do during the day. When my pain is really bad (most evenings) a hot bath or hot water bottles help. Staying active all the time just doesn't help me at all, it only makes my pain worse but of course we are all different.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • klh_1987
    klh_1987 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Hi, @beetle1973

I am in the same boat and just joined. I also have just been diagnosed with Fibro and awaiting an appointment for pain management. Has your GP put you on anything in the mean time? ive been given 20mg of amitriptaline but it doesnt seem to be doing any good. 

x
  • beetle1973
    Hi they tried amitriptyline but it made me feel funny so currently I'm just on co codamol to try and dull the nerve pain im getting in my thighs when walking. Had scans and xray yesterday but I don't think they will find anything. I dont know what's worse the pain in legs or shoulders.  I'm struggling as the Drs don't tell you the type of things to expect so it increases anxiety, hence why I joined group.
  • poppy123456
    Fibromyalgia affects people in many different ways and it really depends on the individual person. GP's can't really tell you what to expect because the condition varies so much. Trial and error with knowing what's right or wrong for you is the only thing i can advise. You'll most likely find that all medication isn't really going to help and nothing will make you completely pain free, at least for me it doesn't.
  • beetle1973
    Thank you for your wonderful advise I feel better just joining group and it's reassuring to know I'm not completely losing the plot 

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @beetle1973 - Welcome to the community & thank you for joining. There are quite a few people here with fibromyalgia, as you see. I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, & the pain due to having the hypermobile type, is said to be similar to that of fibro (tho some additionally have fibromyalgia, like klh_1987).
    Activity helps me; otherwise my joints stiffen up, but I also curl up with a hot water bottle in the evening. Amitriptyline lowered my already low blood pressure so I was as dizzy as a coot, & passed out twice, so not for me either!
    As Poppy says, it's a matter of finding out what works for you, & altho I found pacing initially difficult to do, that really helps most people in pain, or with fatigue.
    Please have a look around as there are other discussions on fibromyalgia, & also chat here any time. :)
  • deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    Hi @beetle1973. I have ME and fibromyalgia I also have spina bifida and scoliosis. I am in quite a bit of pain most of the time and have just learned to take things easy. If I push myself it makes thing worse. I used to take ibuprofen and co-proxamol which stopped working after years of taking them. I don't take pills now I hate taking pills so I use voltarol gel now which seems to help ease the pain. Like Chiarieds I also have to exercise to stop my joints from seizing up which is sometimes easier said than done if I am in a lot of pain.
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi all. There seems to be an awful lot of people diagnosed with fibromyalgia and it sounds really painful.

Someone I know had it so bad, she said it even hurt in her ears to hear sounds sometimes.

Do you think it is sometimes given as a diagnosis when they don't know what else to look for?

Is there a single test for it?

Sending all of you a very gentle hug  (((((((((hug))))))))

Pollsxxxx
  • Han_
    Han_ Community member Posts: 151 Pioneering
    Hi @beetle1973, how are you doing today?
  • poppy123456
    Hi all. There seems to be an awful lot of people diagnosed with fibromyalgia and it sounds really painful.

Someone I know had it so bad, she said it even hurt in her ears to hear sounds sometimes.

Do you think it is sometimes given as a diagnosis when they don't know what else to look for?

Is there a single test for it?

Sending all of you a very gentle hug  (((((((((hug))))))))

Pollsxxxx

There's no single test for fibromyalgia. Before the diagnose is they have to rule out other things and a diagnosis can take a long time.
  • skullcap
    skullcap Posts: 169 Courageous

There's no single test for fibromyalgia. Before the diagnose is they have to rule out other things and a diagnosis can take a long time.
    I don't understand why, given that it cannot be actually tested for you would want a diagnosis anyhow?
    Surely if you tell the GP what the symptoms are they are able to prescribe medication to attempt to reduce the effect of those symptoms?
    If I have a headache I reach for the paracetamol to ease it. I don't go the GP to have a diagnosis of why I have it.
  • poppy123456
    skullcap said:

I don't understand why, given that it cannot be actually tested for you would want a diagnosis anyhow?
    Surely if you tell the GP what the symptoms are they are able to prescribe medication to attempt to reduce the effect of those symptoms?
    If I have a headache I reach for the paracetamol to ease it. I don't go the GP to have a diagnosis of why I have it.

Why wouldn't anyone not want a diagnosis? It rules out other conditions by having the tests and it's always nice to know why you're experiencing so many problems and so much pain.

Reaching for a paracetamol isn't going to help the pain experienced from fibro. You can't actually compare a headache to fibro and thinking that you can just tells me that you don't understand how much a person with it suffers.
  • Firefly123
    Firefly123 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    I had over 7 years of tests until everything else was ruled out before I was given my fibro diagnosis and can assure you paracetamol don't touch this kind of pain. Of course a diagnosis helps to understand why your stuck in bed for days why I can't stand up at times without feeling shooting pains could go on and on as it effects so many things for me. Learning to listen to our bodies is the first thing I would say. Since it affects everyone differently its hard to compare.
    I wish you well x
  • Han_
    Han_ Community member Posts: 151 Pioneering
    skullcap said:

Hi Skullcap,

As others have mentioned, fibromyalgia is usually a diagnosis of exclusion, and so other tests are carried out first to determine whether there is anything else going on. This is because its symptoms overlap with many other conditions. If there is nothing else going on then a doctor may diagnose the patient with fibromyalgia and then give appropriate advice and treatment. 

I hope this helps.

Han
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @skullcap - I can't imagine why someone wouldn't welcome a diagnosis irrespective of their disorder. As Han has said, fibromyalgia can mimic many other disorders, which is why I've read extensively about this in the past, as it can mimic a disorder I have. GPs follow NICE guidelines, so knowing what the disorder might actually be helps them in providing medication that 'may' help, or recommend other treatments.
    Most people wouldn't go to their GP for help with a headache; something that doesn't usually persist on a relentless daily basis, & rarely persists as chronic pain, but if it did, you'd see your GP, & hope to get a diagnosis, as probably paracetamol wouldn't suffice!
  • skullcap
    skullcap Posts: 169 Courageous
    edited February 2020
    No wonder that there are queues at the GP and A&E along with months of waiting to see a Consultant.
    All I can say is that if I actually wrote down every issue I have be it mental or physical health and took it to the GP I would be there nearly every day of the week.
    Surely it's up to the patient to decide if they think the symptoms etc are worth investigating? Would a diagnosis really solve what is happening? For me I think that people today are too frightened of their own body and have a compulsive need to know what the problem is. I have a bladder issue which is well known as being an old man's problem. Do I really need to know what the medical term is? These sort of things you have to accept as part of growing old.
    I don't know much about Fibromyalgia other than I hear that it appears as constant nerve pain across the body. Is it that you just need stronger pain relief to reduce the impact? Would having 7 years of tests actually resolve the symptoms? Would it reduce the discomfort by knowing what medical term for it is?
  • deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    Hi Skullcap after reading all your posts it sounds as though you think fibromyalgia is an annoyance rather than a real illness. I think you will find that is a disability! and really takes over the lives of lots of people. As firefly has said it explains symptoms we may be having. I am sure if you were suddenly unable to walk without being in excrutiating you would want to know what was gong on. Or have to rely on crutches because you can't balance when you walk like I sometimes do. I have has symptoms for 7 years and have finally got an explanation of what is causing it. It has put my mind at rest!
  • poppy123456
    @skullcap yes indeed, you clearly know nothing about fibromyalgia. First you compare it to a headache and then you compare it to a bladder issue. Having been diagnosed with this condition myself several years ago and also suffered with symptoms for 2-3 years before that i can assure you that finally having that diagnosis helped me to know what exactly was going on with my body.

Brightness