Advice on retirement /benefits — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advice on retirement /benefits

Options
stephenlee
stephenlee Community member Posts: 9 Connected
hello everybody I have been diagnosed with possible lung cancer and I would like some advice on retirement /benefits I have been on gov uk and it is gobbigook !!!!!!  thanks

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,039 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI and welcome,

PIP is a possibility but it's not awarded based on a diagnosis. If you have a terminal diagnosis of 6 months or less then you can claim by using the DS1500 form but you'll need to speak to your Consultant about that form. If you haven't had this sort of diagnosis then claiming it will depend on how your conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors. See link. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/

For any other benefit then it depends on your circumstances and it's impossible to advise without more information.

If you have had a diagnosis of cancer then i'd advise you to speak to Macmillan cancer support who will give you all the advice and support you need. See link. https://www.macmillan.org.uk/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @stephenlee - Welcome to the community from me too. I hope you find Poppy's information helpful, & please do let us know if we can support you in any way. :)
  • emmarenshaw
    emmarenshaw Community member Posts: 710 Pioneering
    Options
    A warm welcome to the community @stephenlee  I’m Emma, one of Scope’s Community Champions. Happy to help if you need anything or have any questions at all.
  • stephenlee
    Options
    Since joining its good to know that I have made newfriends. Thank you
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @stephenlee. Please do let us know how you get on. :)
    Scope

• stephenlee
    Options
    OK thanks chloe waiting for date for admission consultation next week  happy days!!!! 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Welcome to the community and best of luck with the consultation @stephenlee. Let us know how you get on. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • stephenlee
    Options
    I am due very soon to undergo surgery for possible lung cancer and my worries are how are we going to cope financially  any advice aod be most welcome. Thanks  all
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that and i wish you well when you do have your surgery.

However, as i previously advised, it's impossible to give you any advice on benefits, other than PIP because you haven't given any details of your financial circumstances such as, have you worked and paid NI Contributions in tax years April 2017 to March 2019? If so the New style ESA maybe possible, with a fit note from your GP.

If not you mention "we" do you live with a partner that works? depending on income, savings/capital Universal Credit maybe an option here but it will depend on circumstances because it's a means tested benefit and you will need to claim as a couple.

Difficult to advise with no information.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • stephenlee
    Options
    I have worked since leaving school at sixteen I am now62  I have a disabled wife mine is the only work income  thanks poppy
  • poppy123456
    Options
    New style ESA with a fit note from your GP pays £73.10 per week and can be backdated 3 months, providing the fit note is also backdated.

Universal Credit as a couple but your ESA will be deducted in full from any UC entitlement.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.