Anxiety and mouth problems — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Anxiety and mouth problems

scotty1983
scotty1983 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi guys new to the forum and hopefully to find some answers from people who my have or been through what I’m going threw I started to have panic attacks 7 months ago after having an mri scan since then I have had a number of hospital visits because when I was having an panic attack I thought I was having a heart attack after been to the hospital and seeing a mental health worker I came  to terms with the anxiety and new I wasn’t having a heart attack after a few months the panic attacks have been less and less and not as serious as the first few times but just befor Christmas I found a lump I’m my mouth and turns out to be a swallow lingual tonsil so iv seen ENT and maxi facial and assured me it’s nothing to worry about  but over the past 7 weeks I am suffering with a sweet taste in my mouth a lot of thick saliva and every now and then have difficulty swallowing and when this happens I get anxious and makes me worse also I have to clear my cheat as if there is some thing stuck like flem hope to here from some one who mite have had similar experiences thanks for your time   

Comments

• EmmaB
    EmmaB Community member Posts: 263 Pioneering
    Hi @scotty1983
    It sounds like you are feeling quite traumatised after your medical procedure, understandable as they can be anxiety inducing.  Anxiety can have a useful purpose when it helps us to look out for danger but ceases to be helpful when we continue looking for danger after the moment has passed...
    Now you have a new thing to worry about and it sounds a bit like health anxiety - worrying that something bad is going to happen or is happening to you health-wise, and even though you've been told there's nothing to worry about you are still worrying.
    I wonder whether you might ask your GP to refer you to some counselling - you might find it helpful to talk to someone about how you are feeling and how you can manage and deal with those feeling because our feelings-thoughts-behaviours are inextricably linked and if one gets out of hand it can have a domino effect.  Two types of therapy might help you - CBT [which looks at feelings, thoughts and behaviours] and EMDR which is good for dealing with specific traumatic events eg your feelings about your MRI scan.
    Perhaps there are other people in your family who have had health scares or perhaps you have had one a while ago yourself and the current situations are triggering memories of these previous incidents?
    I hope that's helpful and you can get some support now rather than let things escalate.
    Best wishes.
    Emma

• scotty1983
    scotty1983 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi thank you for your reply I have just started CBT a few weeks ago I should of said in my post I did loose my dad suddenly to cancer and a year later my mum got Brest cancer but on the mend I thought it could all have got on top of me 
  • EmmaB
    EmmaB Community member Posts: 263 Pioneering
    Hi @scotty1983
    I'm sorry to hear about your dad, that must have been hard to deal with, then the added diagnosis for your mum, I'm  pleasedy to hear she is on the mend.
    Given those extra detail your anxiety about your own health makes perfect sense...
    I hope the CBT helps, that might help with dealing with the here and now but you might also want further counselling that addresses those significant past events too to understand how they are triggering your current responses.
    It will take a bit of work but there's a good chance of you getting there as you are already on the case so to speak.
    Emma
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,587 Disability Gamechanger
     I am suffering with a sweet taste in my mouth a lot of thick saliva and every now and then have difficulty swallowing and when this happens I get anxious and makes me worse also I have to clear my cheat as if there is some thing stuck like flem hope to here from some one who mite have had similar experiences thanks for your time   
    I can't offer any advice because I don't cope well when it happens either but I have the same symptoms.  I also suffer with anxiety & panic so possibly linked to that...  

Brightness