Don't have anyone to come with me at the WCA — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Don't have anyone to come with me at the WCA

bck93
bck93 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hello.

I have a WCA in the next two weeks. I do not have any family which could come with me as I live on my own nor have I seen my family and parents for many years. I don't really have any close friends which could attend with me, and I don't want to attend by myself. Is there any advocates or charities which help with this sort of thing? This is my very first ever WCA. I filled in the uc50 form exclusively for mental health reasons.

Any help or assistance and advice would is welcome.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome, I would have to say that with only two weeks to go its unlikely. Is there a reason you feel you need someone with you because unless they are an appointee they won't be able to do much except sit there. You mention mental health reasons do you have any support?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• bck93
    bck93 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    woodbine said:
    Hi and welcome, I would have to say that with only two weeks to go its unlikely. Is there a reason you feel you need someone with you because unless they are an appointee they won't be able to do much except sit there. You mention mental health reasons do you have any support?
    Hi Woodbine. I struggle with anxiety and leaving the house. Although I could probably attend (I wouldn't be in the best state), however, I thought this would look bad and the assessor would just assume that I'm okay due to attending by myself. That was the reason. I don't have family or friends due to my mental health problems, which makes life tedious if I'm honest. 

I don't have any support in place, I just have strong medications. 

Looks like I'll be going solo and more than likely failling.

Thank you for your help and input.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    You could try telephoning them and asking for a home visit, if they agreed (and it may be too late) you would need a letter from your GP to support your request. Might be worth a try tomorrow.
    Good luck
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.