PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Renewal assessments

Alice_HoltAlice_Holt Member Posts: 46 Courageous
edited March 2020 in PIP, DLA and AA
It is my opinion that all benefit renewal assessments should stop (for the next 3 months they're still doing paper and telephone assessments), and no current award be ended. Given the current circumstances no PIP / DLA / AA claimant should face having this income ended. 
The healthcare professionals working for Maximus, Capita and Atos (IAS) conducting these assessments on behalf of the DWP can then be encouraged to return to the NHS during this national crisis.

If you agree please email / contact your MP.
https://members.parliament.uk/members/Commons

Also you may wish to contact your MP about the government providing emergency support to Charities helping vulnerable people during this time, (in the same way as it has for small and medium sized business).
Tagged:

Replies

• woodbinewoodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 4,146 Disability Gamechanger
    @Alice_Holt well said will email my MP tomorrow.
    "Putting a child into care, isn't caring for a child" (T.Rhattigan)
  • wilkowilko Member Posts: 2,328 Disability Gamechanger
    Having these assessors lapped health professionals? Brought back into the health care system somebody is having a laugh surely we wouldn't want these people working on busy NHS hospital wards. They earn more than nurse's and I don't think they could cope the hours, shifts, pay cut or the whole working environment. Complete change from their office hours work time now. 
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 6,297 Disability Gamechanger
    An interesting idea. Not sure it stands up under analysis. 

1 - it assumes the outcome of such assessments would be a decrease in income when in fact DWP stats show the most likely outcome is that it doesn’t change. 

2 - it rules out the possibility of perfectly valid increases for people in need. Nobody will retrospectively fix that. 

3 - it most kicks a whole pile of anxiety down the road eg how long is it postponed for? When will they resume? In many cases it will trigger it exacerbate health cindittin s abd their consequences. 

4 - the assumption is that these HCPs have come from the NHS. The stats show that in fact many have never worked for the NHS in the first place and that a significant number work part time in 2 roles. Their other role? In the NHS or private practice because the full time NHS roles aren’t there.

5 - for those who are just part-time I’m not seeing a reason why they couldn’t keep doing their current role and perhaps do NHS work on top.

6 - the issue with the NHS is not necessarily staff so much as beds, ventilators and medicines. I can see what a paramedic could contribute but an OT?

7 - it avoids the issue that if you have no renewal assessments then you’re reducing the work for DMs, the need for appeal tribunals and so on. Somewhere down the chain people will lose income or jobs in consequence. A bit like how everyone wanted schools shut but forgot that someone has to provide free school dinners and education. 

8 - if you work for a charity I’m not sure you should be touting for money on a public web site on behalf of “charities”. 
Sign in or join us to comment.