new universal rate — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

new universal rate

antc
antc Community member Posts: 41 Connected
edited April 2020 in Universal Credit (UC)
hi.. i currently get £73.10 a week off employment support allowance and £1 a month off universal credit but with the corona virus and the new £80 a Month universal credit being given for the next year due to the hard times the virus is causing will i get extra universal credit other than the £1 i get now? if its going up £80 a Month for the next year will that mean i get £81 universal credit if that makes sense.. thanks
Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2020
    Hi,

The increases for the standard allowance are as follows. These include the April yearly increase. When you will receive the extra money will depend on your assessment period but it most likely won't be until at least May.

£342.72 for a single claimant under 25.
    £409.89 for a single claimant over 25.
    £488.59 for joint claimants under 25.
    £594.04 for joint claimants over 25.

ESA will also be increased to £74.35 per week from 8th April.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    The additional £20 a week UC should start to be paid around 12th May which is five weeks from 6th April.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• antc
    ok thanks for reply
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @antc and @woodbine.
    Legislation changed on Friday to say the new UC rates would take effect from the first assessment period ending on or after 6th April. This means many people will see the increase sooner, with those whose payments are due on the 13th April onwards will see the increase in that award.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Leigh14
    Leigh14 Community member Posts: 542 Pioneering
    I hope this isn’t a daft question, but the extra money, due to Coronavirus, will we have to pay it back? I keep thinking that at the end of the year, we’re going to be told it was an advance. 
  • antc
    i doubt it would be classed has an advance 
  • Welshlad90
    Welshlad90 Community member Posts: 89 Courageous
    Hi my next payment is due May 5th can someone tell me if the £80 increase has come into force yet as when I spoke to my work coach last week they said they hadn't had nothing from thr government yet 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Hi @Leigh14. No, it won't be considered an advance. It's a temporary increase which they've said will last a year. You won't have to pay it back. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Adrian_Scope
    Hello @Welshlad90. The increase is for all assessment periods that finish on or after the 6th April 2020. So you should receive it in your next payment on 5th May.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Welshlad90
    Apart from the £20 a month increase how much is the normal increase for a couples claim I'm over 25 and my partner is under 25 also is the housing element going up 
  • antc
    will i i sti get the extra universal credit if im im on new style esa but still get £1.05p universal credit? do i get the extra £20 a week
  • Adrian_Scope
    The housing element is going up for those that are private renting @Welshlad90 as the LHA amount is going up for most people. 
    The new standard element rate for a couple over 25 is £507.37 but with the Covid-19 addition it's £594.04.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Adrian_Scope
    Hi @antc, yes you should see the increase too. Your UC standard allowance element will increase, so although you'll still have deductions for your ESA, your UC before deductions will be higher. Meaning you'll receive more from UC. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • antc
  • Welshlad90
    The housing element is going up for those that are private renting @Welshlad90 as the LHA amount is going up for most people. 
    The new standard element rate for a couple over 25 is £507.37 but with the Covid-19 addition it's £594.04.
    I private rent and get 320 housing element at the moment so will mine go up
  • Leigh14
    Leigh14 Community member Posts: 542 Pioneering
    Hi @Leigh14. No, it won't be considered an advance. It's a temporary increase which they've said will last a year. You won't have to pay it back. 
    Thankyou Adrian. I just had a horrible feeling about it. 
    Stay safe and well
  • Welshlad90
    Can someone tell me with the housing element going up me and my partner currently get £320 a month housing element as we private rent. Will ours increase
  • Adrian_Scope
    Hi @Welshlad90
    This is a link to the LHA rates, they’re different in every area.
    If you put your postcode and bedroom allowance in it’ll tell you how much you should now get towards your rent. 
    https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Welshlad90
    I still don't get it when I checked it says I'm entitled to £79.17 a week but my property is a 2 bedroom. So by looks mine will stay at £320 a month 

Adrian_Scope said:
    Hi @Welshlad90
    This is a link to the LHA rates, they’re different in every area.
    If you put your postcode and bedroom allowance in it’ll tell you how much you should now get towards your rent. 
    https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/

• Welshlad90
    Hi

So can someone please clarify.... 

Me and my partner currently get £498 standard rate I also get lcwra plus we get £320 housing allowance

Can someone please confirm our new rates

Also our assessment period ends 30th April so will we get our new rate on next pay date (May 5th)

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.