Lowered my pip disability Allowance — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Lowered my pip disability Allowance

Options
calburge
calburge Community member Posts: 9 Listener
Hi' 
I am so mad as I have been on high rate mobility for many years due to kidney failure, I rang the DWP to tell them I'm now on dialysis as my circumstance have changed which is what you have to do by law, I recieved a new form to fill in which really wasn't a new claim and next had a face to face assessment and have now had a result back stating that they had read my medical  history of all the forms and letters over the years and the result was, I'm more healthy now even though I'm on a dialysis machine 3 days a week.
How can this be as now they have lowered my points of my disability assessment!!!

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,052 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

You now have 1 month from the date of the decision to request the Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) you should put this in writing stating where you think you should have scored those points and your reasons why. Then add a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

You should always think carefully before reporting a worsening of condition. A worsening of condition doesn't mean you're automatically entitled to more points for a higher award. May i ask what award exactly you had before reporting the changes? You state high rate mobility and there's no high rate mobility for PIP, it's Enhanced mobility. Did you have a daily living award too? or were you previously claiming DLA?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calburge
    Options
    Hi thank you for your reply, 
    I got the enhanced mobility for a lot of my life as ive been unwell for many years  of my life and now changed to lower rate, 
  • skullcap
    skullcap Posts: 169 Courageous
    Options
    calburge said:
    Hi' 
    I am so mad as I have been on high rate mobility for many years due to kidney failure, I rang the DWP to tell them I'm now on dialysis as my circumstance have changed which is what you have to do by law, I recieved a new form to fill in which really wasn't a new claim and next had a face to face assessment and have now had a result back stating that they had read my medical  history of all the forms and letters over the years and the result was, I'm more healthy now even though I'm on a dialysis machine 3 days a week.
    How can this be as now they have lowered my points of my disability assessment!!!
    Was this for a DLA claim or a PIP one?
    Both have totally different criteria.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    calburge said:
    Hi thank you for your reply, 
    I got the enhanced mobility for a lot of my life as ive been unwell for many years  of my life and now changed to lower rate, 

Enhanced mobility is PIP and high rate mobility was DLA. What were you claiming before the decision on this award was made?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • calburge
    Options
    Hi
    Enhanced PIP rate. 
    Thank you.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    There's 2 parts to PIP. Did you have mobility and daily living or just mobility part?
  • calburge
    Options
    Hi
    I had both parts which is daily living which is key the same and changed the mobility component to lower rate after 3 years of enhanced rate to which I've got worse with my illness. ?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Sorry, i'm still not understanding what award you had before the decision was made on the change of circumstances. If you have Enhanced for both parts then i really don't understand why you reported your changes.
  • calburge
    Options
    Hi
    I had to tell them that I had started dialysis as that's what it said on the forms they send if circumstances change so I rang and told them.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    If you had Enhanced for both parts and i have no idea because you haven't actually said what award you had previously,  then you didn't need to report the changes because you couldn't have been awarded anything higher.

Yes it states to report changes in circumstances BUT you need to use your own judgement with a PIP award. You don't need to report all changes of circumstances and even more so if you already have the highest award.

Even if someone doesn't have the highest award, a worsening of condition, a diagnosis, new medication, dialysis etc etc doesn't mean you'll be awarded more points for a higher award.
  • calburge
    Options
    I understand what your saying but they lowered my points from a 12 to a 10 on the mobility part of the form I filled in.
    I'm going to ask them to look at it again now and see what happens next.
    Thanks.
  • skullcap
    Options
    I think I understand
  • skullcap
    Options
  • skullcap
    Options
    So you had Enhanced Care and Mobility then you told them that you have a change of circumstances. This ended up that they kept you on the Enhanced Care but reduced the Mobility to Standard?
    Confused? why tell them anything - you could not have had an increase as you were already on the maximum benefit.
    You only need to disclose the change if you are certain that your award should be reduced.
    It is normal to have your awards change - each assessor and DWP decision maker are not bound by what had previously awarded. Some decision makers will award Enhanced others either would give Standard and some would give no award at all all based on the same facts and evidence. 
  • bishop1967
    bishop1967 Community member Posts: 18 Connected
    Options
    I no the feeling been on dialysis since November 2018 got rejected on pip April 2019 sent in appeal still not heard nothing back from them very frustrating times in these worrying times 
  • calburge
    Options
    Hi scullcap' when I filled in the form again for PIP bcus on the form they said as I can walk aided 20 to 50 meters they said my condition is better than last time although I have a disability with my left leg now and can't walk very well without my aid nd not much feeling in my foot I'm better than the last time I filled out my forms 3 years ago, so I can't understand that so I have someone else looking at my claim again to decide and if I don't get anywhere I'm going to take it further to a tribeuneral.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.