Online Food Shopping — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Online Food Shopping

Denise11
Denise11 Community member Posts: 99 Pioneering
I tend to do a big online shop the last a month or so and get fresh veg, fruit, bread etc for a local shop but at this moment I can't seemed to get anywhere.  Is anybody else having any trouble?  On one website they would deliver if you registered with the Government and the link to do was on their website, so I completed their forms then and there.  By doing this, the Government would verify to the supermarket that I was indeed disabled but that was last week and nothing has happen.  Has anybody else had happen to them?

Denise 11
Tagged:

Comments

• mrbuttons
    mrbuttons Community member Posts: 221 Pioneering
    Denise11 said:
    I tend to do a big online shop the last a month or so and get fresh veg, fruit, bread etc for a local shop but at this moment I can't seemed to get anywhere.  Is anybody else having any trouble?  On one website they would deliver if you registered with the Government and the link to do was on their website, so I completed their forms then and there.  By doing this, the Government would verify to the supermarket that I was indeed disabled but that was last week and nothing has happen.  Has anybody else had happen to them?

Denise 11

hello Denise11 i tried to do a Sainsbury shop 2 wks ago and there were no delivery slots for at least a month. I was met with the same message. that you saw, so i tried to register with the gov website only to find that i did not meet the criteria, despite being disabled and receiving disability benefits from the gov. some charities and voluntary organisations are stepping in to catch those of us who fall through the gov safety net.
    have you tried your local council social services dept? in my area, they are directing people to local voluntary services who will do the shopping for vulnerable people. that's how i got my shopping this week, they even collected my medicine from the pharmacy. call social services that's what they are supposed to be doing now the gov has allocated funds for councils to help us. good luck.
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Denise11 I am doing a lot better since moving away from the supermarkets for our main food shopping.  Ordered fruit and veg, with some essentials - milk, butter, eggs, bread and fresh squeezed orange juice - yesterday at 3pm and it arrived at 7am this morning. A bit more expensive than I would normally pay but the quality of the produce is much better than stores and cooking with these ingredients the fresh herbs means our food taste much better.

For anyone who lives in London postcode area I would definitely recommend looking at https://www.natureschoice.london/

Something to keep in mind as restaurants are closed many wholesalers are spreading out to provide delivery services to the general public. So it is worth spending some time looking to see if there is something similar who can deliver in your area.

In more rural areas don't forget the smaller independent shops, especially butchers, greengrocers etc.

For meat I go to https://www.musclefood.com/ They also do a range of products including meals, healthy snacks, vegetarian and vegan food etc.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Denise11

Geoark - Thanks for the tip.  The muscle food looks very good and I will be trying them out.  I hope you are coping in this trouble? It seems very scary!

Kind regards - Denise11

• Denise11
    Hi mrbuttons!   Thanks for reply.  How can the officials say that you aren't disabled especially if you are having benefits?  Is it to 'fudge the figures' I wonder to make them seem as if they took care of everyone!  At present, family and friends are helping me with shopping but if this carries on for a long time a form of rationing might happen.  How about you, are you coping?  Take care - Denise11 
  • Geoark
    Hi Denise, hope it helps you. 

Personally I don't find the virus scary, it is what it is. What scares me far more are people. I am fortunate as I can work from home, and have not had to leave the house since my last day at work. Still being able to work has meant I can keep structure to most of my days, otherwise I would probably have started climbing the wall by now.

I am really having trouble keeping up with the days or how long it has been. Shopping wise things have seem to be getting easier, my daughter did find a click and collect slot for next week, and will be picking up some shopping. How much of the original basket will be available we wait to see. 

• Denise11
    Hi Geoark

How did did the shopping go and did you receive all of the original basket?

Denise11

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Managed to get a delivery slot for this Saturday with Iceland the first for 4 weeks, will be interesting to see how much of the order we get.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Geoark
    Hi @Denise11

We got everything ordered. We also tried Food on the table, home delivery. As this is a weekly subscription it would have meant a regular source of fruit and veg as well as pantry essentials. Sadly I will be cancelling the subscription, while the quality of the food seemed okay it did seem expensive for what we normally get, but not enough veg to see us through the week. Though would be enough I would imagine for a single person. 

On the bright side one thing that has changed is we are now eating more fruit than normal. 

We also finally got our delivery from Muscle Food. Absolutely delighted with this one, though at the time it was a 3 week delivery. We are now in a comfortable position food wise, with a good stock of meat and veg, along with other things to cook meals. Though my favourite meal at the moment is egg on toast, I just need to get a new egg poacher.

How are things going with you?

• Denise11
    Hello Geoark

Things on going on quite nicely, thanks, with family and friends dropping off my food and the local shop.  I'm a widow sadly so really I get by quite easily.  
    Muscle Food sounds good, I well look them up.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.