Favourite Film — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Favourite Film

WestHam06
WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
edited April 2020 in Coffee lounge
Hi all, 
          I hope that everyone is keeping safe and well. As we continue to adjust to the new lockdown rules, it can be difficult to find ways to navigate the day. In my opinion having a routine to the day can help but also to the week to ensure that I am not doing too much of one thing in a short space of time. One thing I enjoy doing is watching films so I may watch a film every now and then in the next few weeks, so my question is 
What is your favourite film?

For me it's … 
Saving Private Ryan

Please join in if you would like too. Thank you.  
Tagged:

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2020
    I am really pleased to hear that Saving Private Ryan is your favourite film. I absolutely love that film. It is probably my second favourite film but only by a hair’s width - it was a toss up between that and Gladiator and Gladiator wins but only just. 

I especially like the music by Hans Zimmer in Gladiator and I think the battle scenes in the movie are really well executed with not too much violence. I also like how the film is all about honour and being a good person.

Back to SPR, that film is so good in my opinion. I especially like the first battle scene on the beach which has no music at all but still manages to be really atmospheric and, although I am fortunately not in a position to be able to say with any authority, I think the film is really realistic.

Have you watched Black Hawk Down? It has Tim Sizemore in it who played the sergeant in SPR and he is really good in that too.
  • M_Anthony
    M_Anthony Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 309 Pioneering
    Saving Private Ryan was an excellent film, good choice.

Black Hawk Down was a good film, the constant battle scenes throughout were outstanding. 

My favorite is a war film as well, Apocalypse Now, with Martin Sheen and Marlon Brando. I couldn't see the film when it came out as I was too young, but I watched it on video. I did get the chance to watch the Apocalypse Now Redux when it was on limited release at the cinema, I thought in the most part it improved the film.

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    The first film I ever remember seeing was "the sound of music", at the Odeon in central Manchester, my late grandparents took me I must have been about 6 years old, and its always held a special place in my memory.
    My favourite film is Grease I saw it ten times on release !
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• WestHam06
    Hi @66Mustang
                                I haven't seen Gladiator but it sounds as though it could a good watch, nor have I seen Black Hawk Down. Saving Private Ryan is a fantastic film and I agree the scene on the beach is very poignant and like yourself am very fortunate not to be able to say for sure but I too think it is realistic. I also like it because it is linked to real life events as I enjoy films which are based on true stories, particularly related to history, whether they be complete fact or adapted. Are there any other war films which you enjoy watching? I enjoyed Fury with Brad Pitt and also American Sniper with Bradley Cooper which was based on a true story. Also, have you seen Band of Brothers which was a good series? Thank you. 
  • WestHam06
    Hi @M Anthony, 
                              Thank you for sharing your favourite film with us, Apocalypse Now. I have not seen this film, you say it is was a war film, please may I ask what the film involves such as is it based on WW2? Thank you. 
  • WestHam06
    Hi @woodbine
                            Great choice in Grease, please may I ask you have a favourite song from the film. Also, The Sound of Music, is another great film. I am currently reading Julie Andrews Homework- A memoir of my Hollywood Years which talks about the film in more detail which is really interesting. Thank you. 
  • 66Mustang
    WestHam06 said:
    Hi @66Mustang
                                I haven't seen Gladiator but it sounds as though it could a good watch, nor have I seen Black Hawk Down. Saving Private Ryan is a fantastic film and I agree the scene on the beach is very poignant and like yourself am very fortunate not to be able to say for sure but I too think it is realistic. I also like it because it is linked to real life events as I enjoy films which are based on true stories, particularly related to history, whether they be complete fact or adapted. Are there any other war films which you enjoy watching? I enjoyed Fury with Brad Pitt and also American Sniper with Bradley Cooper which was based on a true story. Also, have you seen Band of Brothers which was a good series? Thank you. 
    I have seen Fury. Yes I think that is a good film! I haven’t seen any of the others you mention but may have to take a look next time I want to watch a film.

Another war film I like is Enemy at the Gates. It is about a Russian sniper around the time of the Battle of Stalingrad. He becomes a bit of a war hero and gets into a kind of duel with an equivalent German sniper war hero where they are both trying to hunt each other down.
  • WestHam06
    Hi @66Mustang
                               Please do take a look if you would like too, especially American Sniper- highly recommended :) and please if you do watch any let me know your thoughts on it.  Enemy at the gates sounds really good, I will have to see if I can find it as it sounds really good. Thank you for sharing with me. 
  • M_Anthony
    Hi @WestHam06

It is based during the Vietnam war, it is about a Captain that is sent to kill a Colonel that has gone rogue.

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @WestHam06, saving private Ryan is a great film! Did you ever get chance to see 1917 at the cinema? It was incredible! 
    Scope

• woodbine
    WestHam06 said:
    Hi @woodbine
                            Great choice in Grease, please may I ask you have a favourite song from the film. Also, The Sound of Music, is another great film. I am currently reading Julie Andrews Homework- A memoir of my Hollywood Years which talks about the film in more detail which is really interesting. Thank you. 
    The interesting thing with Grease was that they released as singles a number of the songs before the film was released, my favourite has to be "there are worse things I could do" by Stockard Channing.

• woodbine
    Hi @WestHam06, saving private Ryan is a great film! Did you ever get chance to see 1917 at the cinema? It was incredible! 
    I'm hoping 1917 is soon released on DVD, really want to see it but don't like going to the cinema

• M_Anthony
    It will be out soon, on the 18th of May for DVD on Amazon. I agree with Chloe_Scope, it is definitely worth seeing!
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Ooo I'll have to check that out! Thanks @M_Anthony
    Scope

• WestHam06
    Hi @M Anthony, 
                             Sounds like a really great film, I will have to look out for that one too :) Thank you for sharing when 1917 is being released on DVD, definitely looking forward to when that comes out as it was a fantastic film! Thank you
  • WestHam06
    Hi @Chloe_Scope
                                   Completely agree, 1917 was incredible! So clever how it was shot in one, Sam Mendes is a great Director. The actors in it were brilliant as well, with many stars in it. For me George Mckay was fantastic in it. He was also in a film a few years ago (2008) with Daniel Craig called Defiance which is another great film based on a true story from WW2. It is a story about four Jewish borthers who saved Jews and kept them safe by living in a forest. George McKay plays the youngest brother. Great film, have you or anyone else seen it? Thank you. 
  • WestHam06
    Hi @woodbine
                             How are you? Thank you for sharing, I didn't know that the songs were released as singles before the film came out. Good choice in 'There are worst things I could do', I quite like 'Hopelessly Devoted to you' and 'Sandy'. I hope that you are able to see 1917 when it comes out on DVD, it is a fantastic film! Thank you. 
  • woodbine
    WestHam06 said:
    Hi @woodbine
                             How are you? Thank you for sharing, I didn't know that the songs were released as singles before the film came out. Good choice in 'There are worst things I could do', I quite like 'Hopelessly Devoted to you' and 'Sandy'. I hope that you are able to see 1917 when it comes out on DVD, it is a fantastic film! Thank you. 
    All good here, hope same with you ? 1917 is released on 4th May on DVD can't wait

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    This is a non exhaustive list of films I have seen:

1- Peter Rabbit. This is a film about a naughty little rabbit and his family as well. Suitable for all ages. I recommend it. This is the perfect family film and my rating is universal. If you love animals, then you must watch this funny movie. I give it four out of five stars. 
    2- The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. This is the movie adaption based on the book of the same name. Due to the nature of some of the scenes, I think that this particular film is only for those aged twelve or over. But still worth watching at least once. It tells the story of four children and their mom and dad. First one in the franchise to be released. Not for small babies. I saw this film when I was younger. 
    3- Confessions of a Shopaholic. Also a adaptation which is based on the book of the same name by Sophie Kinsella. This is purely a chick flick type of film more than anything however. I think it is a popular family film as well. Perfect for any winter afternoons. It is about a young woman and her best friend living in a NYC apartment trying to avoid her not so crazy bank manager. Not sure what rating the film deserves though, maybe it is parental guidance? Still worth watching if you are bored. I have seen it many times after it came out. 
    4- The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas. This is the kind of film that makes you cry uncontrollably. I strongly recommend watching this one with a box of tissues nearby. I watched this film for the first time at a sleepover ten years ago. And I say the rating is twelve or over at least. It tells the story of a small German child, his best friend and his family too. Not recommended for small kids however. Quite a sad movie. 
  • 66Mustang
    edited April 2020
    The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas reminded me of Schindler’s List. That is another film that is very sad but it is a very very good film that I recommend anyone watches. Again I am fortunate to not be able to say with any authority, but it seems incredibly realistic and true to life. It is a very “gritty” film.

Brightness