Tricky questions about post-pandemic disability etiquette — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Tricky questions about post-pandemic disability etiquette

Options
Adrian_Scope
Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team

What’s the proper etiquette when you encounter someone who seems determined to be “in your face” about their disdain for pandemic precaution?

How should you react to someone wearing a face mask when you aren’t wearing one yourself? 

As we move into the next phase of the COVID-19 pandemic, we will not only have to adopt some new routines, but also adjust some of our thinking and even our systems of etiquette. People with disabilities, in particular, are anxiously wondering right now how our ongoing need to protect ourselves will be viewed by others. Will we be given the practical and social space to cope with this new threat to our health and lives? Or, will we be increasingly made to feel like outliers and outsiders, maybe targets of derision? As usual, all of this is complicated by politics. Already people’s everyday responses to the COVID-19 pandemic have become politicized.

Source: Forbes

Andrew Purlang has raised some interesting issues for the post-pandemic world. How will you be approaching social distancing as we emerge from lockdown?
Community Manager
Scope

Comments

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I think that I will be a bit wary when lock-down does ease up and still practising some social distancing for a good bit yet until I feel more confident that everything is ok.  :neutral:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Regardless of what the government says I will emerge (as it were) at my own pace, we're lucky to live in a very rural area so can if we chose only go out shopping once a week and for doctors appointments/prescriptions.
    I've always liked to get out and about as much as possible but this lock down has taught me that I dont have to do that.
    For others I appreciate that it will be different.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    As someone who is partially sighted, I am worried about not been able to social distance and others not giving me the space. Additionally, when using trains, I use assistance which means someone cannot social distance to provide the support I need. 
    Scope

Brightness