From DLA in definately to PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

From DLA in definately to PIP

CarolAnn1953
CarolAnn1953 Community member Posts: 22 Connected
Hi everyone. Ive just been assessed by the PIP person at my home and was sat down the whole time she was there asking questions and tapping away on her laptop. My daughter was there with me for support. I have osteoarthritis in both knees and on a scale of 1-4 and 4 being the worse mine is 4. That was quoted from the doctor who injects them every 6 months.
Also I have a bulging disc in my spine and and am in constant pain 24/7.
And am awaiting going back to pain clinic for 6 facet joint injections and a epidural which gives me some relief for about 6 months or more. 
Because I can't walk far I was put on enhanced rate of mobility so I got a car motorbility. 
They. Have not given me enhanced rate only standard rate as she states I can walk 20 metres but no more than 50.
I can just about walk to my car and I have to stop because of the pain. 
I rang them and queried this and he was a nice man he said he would send a form to me for them to reconsider and get a letter from the doctor to support this which I'm waiting on both. I can't understand is it because I'm 67 and they think I'm passed it. Please has any body else been through this?? I'm finding it so distressing my psoriasis has come back on my scalp terribly. 

Comments

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,585 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2020
    Hi Carol, a lot of people do find themselves in the same situation unfortunately, you'll see plenty of similar posts about it on here!  It's nothing to do with age, it's partly to do with the differences between PIP and DLA, but also because each assessor seems to interpret things slightly differently.

All you can do now is continue with the Mandatory Reconsideration - in your case that will hopefully be enough to get back to enhanced.  If that doesn't work, you then have the option to go to tribunal.

It's worth noting that PIP is not about your diagnosis though, it's purely about your reduced ability to do things due to the conditions.  So you will need some specific proof that you are unable to walk more than 20 metres to support your claim.  I'm not sure if a Doctors letter will be enough to do that.  Do you have any sort of Physio that might also be able to confirm your reduced mobility?  Or a partner, friend or relative that knows you well can also write a supporting letter as well.
  • CarolAnn1953
    My gp is writing a letter and I am a cronic deppresion since I was 16. My daughter was there at the assessment and told her I need help with bathing and occupational health have agreed to put in a shower or wet room for me. She didn't see me stand I was sat for the duration
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @CarolAnn1953, really sorry to hear the pain you are in and the impact that this has had.

@OverlyAnxious has given some great advice that I hope will help.

Here is some information about the Mandatory Reconsideration.

Please do let us know how you get on and if we can do anything else to help. :) 
    Scope

• Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,014 Pioneering
    @CarolAnn1953. Sometimes if you have an appointment in the future for treatment which might improve your condition they take that into account? Maybe they think the injections will make you more mobile as you stated that it gives you some relief. Good luck with the MR. 
  • suzannah17
    suzannah17 Community member Posts: 19 Connected
    Did you say they came out today? I thought they stopped face to face even scheduled appts and was doing telephone?
  • Cressida
    @suzannah17 maybe they are still doing some home visits in some areas?

• suzannah17
    edited May 2020
    Cressida said:
    @suzannah17 maybe they are still doing some home visits in some areas?

Not calling her a liar, just curious as online it says DWP have stopped them from 24th or 16th March for 3 months I’d like them to come out to me lol  
  • CarolAnn1953
    They made their decision in April I had Assessment in February and Applied in September 2019!
  • Cressida
    @suzannah17 it may depend on the area you are in. I thought they had all stopped home visits as well but it might be worth phoning them and asking if it's possible. With the lockdown loosening a bit they may have changed this. 

• suzannah17
    They made their decision in April I had Assessment in February and Applied in September 2019!
    I’m a bit confused, (sorry I have autism) post says it was put up today.. did u have ur assessment in April or today lol
  • CarolAnn1953
  • CarolAnn1953
    ASSESMENT in February 
  • suzannah17
    ASSESMENT in February 
    Jesus calm down no need to be rude. I have a processing functioning disability sorry for not understanding !! U witch no wonder u didn’t get what u wanted maybe she see right through you
  • CarolAnn1953
    Please don't leave any more comments. It's not my fault you didn't understand the way I wrote. I wish you well. Oh and I'm not a witch I found that very cruel to say that. Keep well. 
  • suzannah17
    I’m not going to reply no more, but I don’t wish harm on no one so I wish you well to, your just pure arrogant. And a slight tip you may believe your entitled to more but in reality you just got to accept it and take what you get! I’m 18 your 57 and unfortunately it seems like I’m more mature. Goodbye hun x
  • CarolAnn1953
    I've got a crumbling spine dear. And I'm 67.Lets not be disrespecting each other. I thought this Scope was supposed to be a friendly site as we've all got some kind of disability. Oh and I'm a cronic depressant and have bipolar since age of 16.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Please keep it friendly, non of us has any right to be unpleasant.  @CarolAnn1953 it is possible they took into account that an upcoming epidural would help with the pain for six months or so. I know they did when my OH used to have them.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Please do remember the community guidelines and be respectful of each other.

Bare in mind it is very easy to misunderstand text which is no ones fault. We strive to have supportive network and you are both very welcome here. :)
    Scope

• CarolAnn1953
    I don't want to be in this any more. My own family and friends have never disrespected me and called me names like Susanah18 did. I thought we were here for each other so how can I leave this app please
  • CarolAnn1953
    Suzannah 17 sorry I got name wrong

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.