Pip ending October — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip ending October

hamishr2000
hamishr2000 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi I was wondering if I should start a new claim for pip as my award is ending in October and I have phoned DWP and the very unhelpful member of staff informed me my award will not be extended. I have read on citizens advice that you can by law ask for your pip claim to be renewed 6 months before the end date. Any suggestions of what I should do as I know from my past pip claim that it takes considerable time for DWP to make a decision.

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to scope, if your current award ends in October you would normally been sent renewal forms around April (unless your current award was made by tribunal?) During the current crisis it could well be that your award might be extended by 6 months. There is no legal right to ask for it to be renewed, unless of course you have a change of circumstances in which case you should contact PIP and tell them.
    My advice would be sit tight and it will happen when it happens.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• hamishr2000
    Okay thank you very much, I think I should know more June time when that 3 month coronavirus period is up and see what happens. I’m only thinking of making a new claim now we don’t want any gaps and I have also been diagnosed with a new illness which does make things a lot harder than they already were before. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    @hamishr2000 you can't make a new claim whilst you have an ongoing claim, they will do one of two things extend your claim or send out a renewal, a diagnosis doesn't make any difference to PIP its wether this changes your care and or mobility needs.
    As I said above at this stage I would sit back and wait till they contact you.
    Just to add what rates are you on now?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• hamishr2000
    I’m currently on just standard daily living missed out on enhanced rate by 1 point. Feel I should also get low rate mobility as I can’t make any unknown journeys without another person but it was such a hassle to get anything I didn’t bother to appeal at the time. My award ends 8th October 2020. Never received a review form from DWP hence why I phoned to see if my award had been extended by six months. 
  • hamishr2000
    I’m just Feeling so anxious and stressed about it all, 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.