Be active at home — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Be active at home

Adrian_Scope
Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team

A young man giving the camera a thumbs up while surrounded by sports equipment

It can be a real struggle to find the motivation and the enthusiasm to stay active at the moment. But in response to the coronavirus pandemic, Disability Sports Coach have put together a range of online (and offline) resources to help disabled people remain physically active, including:

Home activity cards

Each month DSC release 5 #DscAtHome Activity cards. These cards are written by DSC's expert coaches and provide you with 30 minute sessions you can do at home. You can download them from DSC's website.

Online Zoom sessions

DSC host two Zoom exercise sessions every Tuesday and Thursday (3.30pm - 4pm). These sessions include dance, fun fitness and multi-sports (no specific equipment required) and are open to all disabled people from 8 years to adult. To book onto these sessions, email clubs@disabilitysportscoach.co.uk

How are you keeping active at the moment? Do you have any exercise routines you would recommend to with your disability? What challenges have you faced with staying active?

Community Manager
Scope

Comments

• dolfrog
    dolfrog Community member Posts: 441 Pioneering
    Due to the lack of understanding of the complex nature of my auditory processing disorder issues by the so called local medical professionals, lock down has been a way of life over recent years to avoid the professional disability discrimination,
    As a result i have no motivation what so ever to do any exercise . More wishing to end it all. 
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @dolfrog, I'm really sorry to hear that you are finding things so tough at the moment.  It is hard to get motivated at times especially when we feel we are up against things and not being heard.  Is there anything we can do to help or support you?  You are a valued member of the Community and we are all here for you should you need us.  Please feel free to chat to us anytime as this can often help.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    I have heard very good things about Joe Wicks videos. Additionally we like to go for short walks in town too. I do not have any specific exercise routines however. Occasionally I do some yoga or dancing. How much are the activity cards? Next week we are hoping to stop by the tennis courts for a quick game weather permitting. Every morning I do a few quick light stretches on my bouncy ball whilst listening to my favourite radio station as well. Thanks. 
  • jasmineirani
    jasmineirani Scope Volunteer Posts: 103 Pioneering
    I do Zumba every Monday afternoons and every Friday mornings. I also do my Zumba DVDs which are fun and keeping me fit at the same time. I didn't do any exercise today. I used to go to yoga classes as well and then they stopped because of the lockdown. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Very soon I will have to have the paint brush surgically removed from my hand, I seem to have painted everything that doesn't move, but its kept me busy, active and focused.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Adrian_Scope
    I have heard very good things about Joe Wicks videos. Additionally we like to go for short walks in town too. I do not have any specific exercise routines however. Occasionally I do some yoga or dancing. How much are the activity cards? Next week we are hoping to stop by the tennis courts for a quick game weather permitting. Every morning I do a few quick light stretches on my bouncy ball whilst listening to my favourite radio station as well. Thanks. 
    You can download a PDF of the cards by filling in the form at the bottom of the page here.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Adrian_Scope
    I do Zumba every Monday afternoons and every Friday mornings. I also do my Zumba DVDs which are fun and keeping me fit at the same time. I didn't do any exercise today. I used to go to yoga classes as well and then they stopped because of the lockdown. 
    I've never tried Zumba @jasmineirani. Is it an intense workout?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Adrian_Scope
    woodbine said:
    Very soon I will have to have the paint brush surgically removed from my hand, I seem to have painted everything that doesn't move, but its kept me busy, active and focused.
    If you're still on a painting kick when all this is over @woodbine, we've got plenty you could be painting round mine!  ;)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • jasmineirani
    That sounds very interesting. I will be definitely round to yours. 
  • jasmineirani
    It can be a tiring workout but it is so much fun. You should try it. I am with a class but it is for women only so unfortunately you can join. I am so sorry about that. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I love Zumba @jasmineirani! However, I would do every other dance so I could rest in between.  :D
    Scope

• jasmineirani
    Yes you could rest in between it up to you what you do. 

Brightness